Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've kind of done the reverse path of getting board of AEGs and preferring the sniper role. I actually started with a Cybergun L96 clone crap and despite the terrible weapon, still loved the sniper role. After seeing that upgrading the gun was nearly impossible, I decided I'd try out an AEG. As much as I love the short CQB rounds at my local arena, I love the low mainenence, ready anytime, BB conserving, quiet role of stalking and taking out my enemies with a couple shots versus dumping 300 round 4 high caps on people.

Anyways, I'm fairly familiar with airsoft guns, and no enough to get around about sniper rifles. However there is always much more to learn. I'm only looking to spend $200 right now, which I know doesn't go very far when building a true marksmanship rifle, but it's all I can do at the moment. I want to atleast get the platform and maybe a scope for now, and then I'll slowly drop more money into upgrades and such. I've done a lot of research, and I think I have narrowed it down to 4 choices. I'm moreso going for performance over looks, but I do prefer the look of the classic hunting rifle look such as the M24s and BAR-10s. Though as I said, I would choose performance and durability over aesthetics. I will list the 4 I'm looking at and say why I like them an font like them, and then hopefully people can chime in and help me choose the best for me.

1 The one I'm most considering is the Javeline M24 as seen here: http://www.airsoftgi.com/mobile/product_info.php?cPath=139_113&products_id=7153
For $190, I'm getting the gun and a scope. I love the looks of the gun, and it seems to be the best quality I can find for under $200. I'm wondering how it performs stock though. Anyone have any experience? It won't be stock for too long, but I'd like it to be accurate enough to tide me over until I can throw upgrades in it.

2. A close second is the JG BAR-10. From what I've read it is a good platform, but feels toyishly light. It's a little cheaper than the above gun. Once again, how does it perform stock?

3. Next I was looking at the snow wolf M24 which I can get for $140. I'm unsure if it is upgradable, which is a huge need for me, so if it isn't, it's eliminated. I'm unsure in the externals or stock performance so if someone could chime in that would he great. I'm not even sure who snow wolf is.

4. Lastly I'm looking at the Echo 1 ASR mainly for the price. I'm not as big of fan of the tactical military look, but the $115 with bipods and the recently purchased thread on upgrading it has drawn me to it. How does it stand up to the othersentioned?

My biggest requirement is atleast somewhat okay stock performance, durability, performance once lightly to moderately upgraded, and upgradabiliy. Obviously $200 isnt working with too much, but I think I should be able to get a decent platform to build off of for it. If anyone has any other reccomend actions or things they would like to add or help with, please don't hesitate! Thanks for reading and for all help in advance as I know there's a lot written.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Starting with option one. I'd avoid the M24 due to lack of proprietary parts that go with this rifle (someone correct me if i'm wrong.) But, I believe it doesn't take Classic Army upgrade parts. It's a good stock gun, but long-term, it's not a good buy.

Option 2, BAR-10 is a great platform gun. Stock performance is about the same as a M4, but it's a great starting sniper rifle. If i'm going to do a VSR-10 build, and on a budget, i'd be buying this rifle in .2 seconds.

Option 3, very limited on upgrades, which it sounds like you know already. I'd personally stay away from it, not very much knowledge or upgrading with it.

Option 4, ECHO 1 ASR. I fully upgraded one of those suckers. That thing was great for the price. It's weakly built though, it's based off the Maruzen version. If I went back, I would have gotten a BAR-10, but, your call.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I cannot comment on the first three questions, but I do own a E1 ASR. I like it, its a good little gun. It's cheap, but I honestly think you'll spend about as much money on it as you will on a BAR-10. My biggest problem with the ASR is the stock, and to get a stock that better suits sniping will cost about as much as the gun.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think Nelson has a JG BAR-10 in the classifieds with a broken hop-up for dirt cheap. Throw a TM Precision Hop-Up Chamber in it, and do some DIY mods and you'll have a good performer for a great price.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What about the new ARES M40 for $200. Its advertised to be VSR-10 compatible, but I do not know to what length. On second though, cough ARES LMG cough! 3 year Ahhhem! pre-order Cough!!, you maybe better off getting something available on the market now. You never know about ARES' time line between newQRF, ARES Airsoft (HK), ARESUSA and Z-shot (SystemA USA) and of course Cybergun. It'll probably be sold by another company by the time it releases.

I have had a BAR10, liked it, but that was when you could get the "DX" package for $115 when they first came out. I enjoyed the UTG L96s too. BAR10 was too light though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@woogie I sent you an email

I'm starting to really like the ASR. I was reading that the first thing I should purchase is a new hop up unit. Does that sound right? If so that is likely the only upgrade I will be able to fund right away, as I am sticking to my $200 budget. As of right now I'm deciding between the ASR and the bar-10. Which do guys think would be the best bet base on my budget?

Does anyone have a link or can supply me with knowledge as to the upgrades I should do to the BAR-10 if I got it?

Also, on the ASR, would I be able to replace the stock with a better M4 stock?

Thanks for all the help!

Oh and just a general sniper rifle upgrade question as I've never owned a sniper rifle that I'm able to upgrad: Can I do most if not all upgrades and aftermarket parts on my own or is it super hard like working in an AEG gear box where I will have to pay someone to do everything. Upgrades I have in mind are changing the spring, piston, hop up unit, and changing barrels. Thanks!

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's way more simple than an AEG. I don't even know how to take apart on and put it back together. That's one of the things I love about sniper rifles. The most difficult thing with them would be just getting the hop-up tuned, but that's not bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad you like the ASR, its something different in a world where everyone and their brother has a VSR-10 or L96.I would most definitely replace the hop up/barrel on the ASR first.Stock units are known to go to pot pretty quickly, I know mine did. I replaced mine with a PDI 96 unit, and it preforms wonderfully. Be careful, the PDI unit WILL scratch your nozzle if you aren't careful. Feel free to send me a PM if you end up getting it. The beauty of the PDI unit is that once you have it, you can fit aeg cut barrels in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'll be purchasing an ASR tomorrow! I'm super excited. It's coming with a scope too and 3 mags and a new barrel so I'm pretty set. First thing I'll upgrade is the hop up and spring. I'm also going to be giving it a paint job. I'll post my progress in the ASR compendium. Thanks to everyone for helping make my decision!!! You'll be seeing a lot of me now!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sweet! Glad you went with the ASR. This is just a suggestion, instead of a spring, I would buy a new barrel that will fit into your new hop-up. Even just a Mad-bull 6.03 will be good. The ASR is shooting pretty hard already. Also, in my opinion, the Echo 1 ASR upgrade kit is well worth the money, you'll get a metal spring guide and piston as well as a spring. These parts are not high quality, but much better than the plastic that's in the gun right now.

I'll post pictures of my ASR soon, I recently gave it a new paint job!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
seth said:
Sweet! Glad you went with the ASR. This is just a suggestion, instead of a spring, I would buy a new barrel that will fit into your new hop-up. Even just a Mad-bull 6.03 will be good. The ASR is shooting pretty hard already. Also, in my opinion, the Echo 1 ASR upgrade kit is well worth the money, you'll get a metal spring guide and piston as well as a spring. These parts are not high quality, but much better than the plastic that's in the gun right now.

I'll post pictures of my ASR soon, I recently gave it a new paint job!
Okay that's probably a good idea. I'm going to have to wait a little bit to do upgrades as I'm spending $160 on the gun and a really nice scope, and I'm sticking to my $200 budget. However as soon as I'm ready to drop more money I'll be throwing in a PDI hopup until and a new barrel. Does anyone know of a write up or place where I could learn about all of the sniper rifle parts and their functions? Honestly I dont know what a hopup bucking is, or the difference between firefly and not etc. I really want to learn about it all so I can build this gun to be as effective as I can. Thanks for all of the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.