Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally investing in a real rig, I've got a couple concerns.

TL;DR at the bottom.

The alternative one is the belt's security to my waist. I was actually shocked to find that your average battle belt does not secure to pants belt loops, rather just sitting freely completely unsecured to anything- that seems absurd to me. I have found a few options which employ hooks/loops to secure the external belt to the more standard belt which goes in your pants belt loops though, so I'm currently assuming I'll go with one of these. The only reason I'm including this is to listen to experienced opinions on the matter- because maybe I'm wrong and an unsecured belt somehow just...works without fuss.

The primary concern is 3 versus 4 point harnesses. One of the primary options I'm looking at employs a Y harness, which I'm skeptical about (is 3 enough?)- but I'm wondering if I even should be. My pants stay up without even a standard belt at the moment, and if people are out there using battle belts without harnesses, then maybe I shouldn't be concerned about the load bearing of the harness at all- however I want to ensure I don't run into an insufficiently-suspended belt that sags heavily between the 3 harness points.

I guess I'd just like to hear some wisdom from people with experience using belts and harnesses out in the field.

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
What is your plan for this? Are you using it as a universal setup or is it strictly for a bolt action?

H-style harness all the way. Spreads the load on your shoulders far better. and supports the belt better.

Which belts were you looking at?

Reactions: MagicMarker

·
Registered
902 Posts
The belt I owned, I hated, for the exact reason you listed. It didn't mount onto my pants. This meant that it rode up when running or sagged when over burdened. (I had a HSGI sure grip) Using an H harness fixed the sagging when the belt was loaded up, but it didn't help with riding up. I ended up ditching my belt rig entirely and moving everything over to my spiritus micro rig.

However, had it been out or had I known about it, I would have purchased a T-rex arms orion. It's an actual firearms belt that has straps that let you loop onto your regular pants belt. Would have definitely saved me a whole lot of trouble...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What is your plan for this? Are you using it as a universal setup or is it strictly for a bolt action?

H-style harness all the way. Spreads the load on your shoulders far better. and supports the belt better.

Which belts were you looking at?
'universal' means BASR-only :p ...for me! Not necessarily true, as I do own a couple other rifles...but honestly I think it'll be a long time before I tire of my BASR obsession- the gameplay can already be stark different between going full-sneak in ghillie and running around from position to position.
I think I posted too soon...the Y harness I was actually referencing (assuming I would encounter more) was the Direct Action Mosquito which I now realize...isn't actually a true Y, as it's 4-point. But now I'm also leaning more towards the Mosquito H harness- and their solution probably still isn't my top pick assuming I find something that connects even better to the base pant belt.
Ideally I want that Pencott GreenZone too...

The belt I owned, I hated, for the exact reason you listed. It didn't mount onto my pants. This meant that it rode up when running or sagged when over burdened. (I had a HSGI sure grip) Using an H harness fixed the sagging when the belt was loaded up, but it didn't help with riding up. I ended up ditching my belt rig entirely and moving everything over to my spiritus micro rig.

However, had it been out or had I known about it, I would have purchased a T-rex arms orion. It's an actual firearms belt that has straps that let you loop onto your regular pants belt. Would have definitely saved me a whole lot of trouble...
Hm, yes this is the kind of system I'm looking for. Hook/loop can be loud if stripped, and I'm not sure I trust it to hold tight- I'd really like a belt that has those internal loops that thread through your pants belt.
Know of any other options?
I'll edit this post if I find more...

EDIT:
Looks like the Ataka Shooter M2 may be the only GreenZone option, however it doesn't come in multiple sizes and doesn't appear to be the highest quality...still on the hunt.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'd be surprised if you managed to strip the orion off without doing so intentionally. The flats of the velcro rest inside of your pants belt, so it would be pressed flat between the belt and your pants. Of the options I've seen, I still think this one is probably the better one.

Aside from that though, the options really do start slimming down. There's a few double belt systems with a velcro inner belt (pants belt) and a matching velcro outer belt, but these tend to be much smaller in profile and often times do not have H harness clipping points. Stormrider gear and blue alpha gear both make this sort of system. I don't have hands on experience with either of them though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's what I mean, the Orion seems to have exactly what I want- the only problem is it doesn't integrate with a harness system (and it doesn't have GreenZone as an option :'( haha).
Yeah the Ronin Senshi is one of those as well- all pretty good, but no harness integration.

Where I'm at now:
The DA Mosquito belt with a harness seems plenty- as mentioned, my pants currently stay up without a belt even, so with the downward force supported by the harness, I think any potential upward force would probably be handled by some hook/loop and proper fit.
However I'm starting to wonder if I should ditch the harness plan entirely, pick up on of the non-harness two-piece belt systems, and just find a light chest rig...

So any recommendations on light chest rigs would be great as well! Just looking for panel I can pick the pouches I want for.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Depending on how much weight you're planning on loading up the belt, you might not even need a harness. If all you are doing is a pistol, maybe two extra gas magazines, and then two or three VSR magazines, then you're definitely fine without it. Now if you're doing gas hicapa mags, then you're asking for some flopping.

Load bearing gear often comes down to preference, so it's really a solution of trying and borrowing as much as you can before you buy. Now if you're open to chest rigs, those are my go to so I'll be a bit of a shill and vouch for this option. There's a lot of superlight chest rigs, but the notable ones that would probably be perfect for a few pistol mags and some VSR mags would either be the spiritus systems micro fight (or repro from TMC) and the speedqb nucleus. I went the spiritus route since i couldnt find the repro option (but also multicam black because im a sucker). The adaptability to so many different magazine sizes is nice as well, though probably not very applicable in your situation.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've got a viper chest rig that works well for multiple rolls and holds my Mk23. It works fine, but only comes in VCAM for a pattern. Holds quite a lot though.

https://www.snipermechanics.com/single-post/2018/06/13/Viper-Special-Ops-Chest-Rig-Review

If youre gonna rock a smaller sidearm than a Mk23 I highly recommend checking out the Kit Bags from Hill People Gear. Can get them in multicam or solid colors, and they have tons of storage space. They're also extremely lightweight, small footprint, and much more comfortable than the standard chest rig. It'll carry less, but light and fast is usually best for airsoft. Best part is you wont even need anything other than a standard belt if you dont mind your sidearm being hidden in the kit bag (they're designed for this). Or you could still use a belt and clip a larger pistol there. Up to you. MOLLE and PALS compatible depending on the kit bag. I have a SAR and a Recon and the Recon Harness for water bladder.

HPG build quality is also top notch and the warranty is too.

If you want more color options go to 5col to purchase the kit bags.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually have a HPG kit bag already- would you believe I bought it primarily for fashion, with a secondary purpose of concealed carry? Lol.

Right now I think I'm zeroing in on a super-light chest rig. Ideally I want something like the Stronghold Group T. I. Zero Pals Chest Rig - maybe a bit smaller, but I like the prepared back collar for a hydration pack if I want - but I can't find it sold anywhere- just found their Facebook page though and am reaching out.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Awesome! I rock my Recon for motorcycling, fly fishing, etc as its black and lower profile.

But for backpacking and airsoft? SAR bag all the way.

I'm actually now running Mk23 inside kit bag, suppressor mounted on bottom molle in grenade pouch. Hi capa on belt holster. Holds 6 pistol mags, CO2, speedloaders, tools, everything I need. Loving it.

The rig you posted is very interesting. After mounting the pouches you'd want for a sniper role though, are you sure it would come in lighter than an HPG?

EDIT: and check the Recon Harness for bladder compatibility on the HPG. In case you missed me mentioning it before.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Wow! This is fascinating stuff! I must profess that I had no idea there were so many options! I take the hunter approach. Less is more. I use an old school shoulder harness (WW2 style) for my pistol and pistol mags (running a 1911, it's perfect). The drop down loops hold up the belt. All I have on the belt is a radio, and a medic pouch that's been converted to hold my L96 mags, a speedloader, and a couple of extra CO2 bombs for the pistol. That's it! Hahahaha. I used to run a tac vest at one point but I find the minimalist approach shows more camo and blends better than a vest. Then again, the games are short (a few hours max) and I'm not running milsims... :) If I do run the vest it's for the capability of carrying a hydro pack. Most of the pouches are empty.

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
I have been meaning to add my 2 cents worth. Been busy. I have used a number of vests, but I have not been quite that happy with most of them. I prefer my gear to be able to adapt easily to any situation I need it to. Well my russian smersh has done exactly that.

I originally bought it strictly for my SVD as finding good mag pouches for SVD mags is difficult. M14 mag pouches will do the job, but not all that well. So I bought that, swapped out one of the SVD double pouch sections for a AK mag pouch. Now at this point, it can be used with almost all my loadouts. VSR? Done. M4? Done. AK? Easy. SVD? Built for it. P90? Oh yes! It works quite well actually! MK23? Done. Glock 18? Done. Shotgun? Done. UMP? Done.

The only gripe I have with it is that it does not have a hydration bladder. Plans are in the works at the moment to remedy that.

I can post pics if you want them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey someone might find them useful! Personally I think it's a bit more than I'd want. Really my ideal is something like an HPG Kit Bag, but I also want my pistol on my left side waist/chest.

A bit of an update:
I'm a perfectionist. I decided I really wanted fancy newer laminate material for the low profile and light weight- of course I also still wanted GreenZone...
Stronghold Group informed me that they don't have any GreenZone material (it was apparently not sufficiently strong/rugged), and while they might have a new batch in a few months, it's still a 'maybe' (if it meets their standards). I had also reached out to Gear Dynamics - who had a similar rig and at one point offered GreenZone - and after asking around, they were also unable to offer GreenZone laminate. I even asked Direct Action - after they told me they didn't offer custom solutions or raw materials - if they could get me in touch with the manufacturer of their GreenZone laminate! Lol- no dice :p
[is my interest in fashion becoming clearer?]
At this point, I gave up on GreenZone- my shirt's body isn't in GreenZone anyway, so no loss there, and I'll be getting GreenZone pouches as well, so "meh".
I investigated laminate options, and - wanting to keep the high chest position I like with my Snubby Kit Bag - found one offering custom alterations...

TL;DR:
I'm going with a Gear Dynamics Momentum v3 in Ranger Green, modified to add a "bib" panel that will go up higher on the chest, having the adjustment straps moved up on top of the bib, deleting the laminate shoulder/high-chest straps. This way I have the panel under my arm as desired, and should still have the quite-high placement of a chest panel with the custom bib extension. I'm also working on having some custom pouches made, one being a flat-ish kangaroo pouch that will cover most of the lower front- primarily to get more GreenZone coverage :hehe:
I'll post an initial review/impressions when it arrives in about a month.

Thanks for all the input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.