Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've picked up a San Jia Winchester 1892 (clone of Marushin's rifle, I believe) to use as a sniper rifle or designated marksman rifle. I intend to convert it to run on CO2 for greater consistency. The gun shoots 540 on green gas at the moment.

Videos of the San Jia Winchester

[flash=350,287:ut2dr8ib]http://www.youtube.com/v/nWfJOTfG8p0&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:ut2dr8ib]
[/TD][TD]
Banner

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

[flash=350,287:ut2dr8ib]http://www.youtube.com/v/T8GWdLDGP68&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:ut2dr8ib]
[/TD][TD]
Banner

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Last night I disassembled the rifle to get a nice look at the innards, which you can see on the second video (his disassembly, not mine). I re-taped the point where the gas in the reservoir enters the intake area with Teflon tape to improve the seal. I should probably pick up some lubricant to help the O-rings do their thing. Silicon gel, not spray, right?

At any rate, I plan on running a gas line into the gas intake, which would obviate the need for the leak-prone gas reservoir the rifle currently uses. That gas line would run to a Palmer's female stabilizer, to a tank extender, to a madbull regulator, to a madbull co2 changer. That gas rig will be slung under the barrel, where the gas tube is currently. With the exception of the gas line running off the Palmer's stab, everything is connected by threads and should be fairly secure. My goal is to get the consistency of an external gas rig, with the rig mounted on the gun (quasi-internally).

I'll get some pictures up once my wife frees up some space in our camera.

I'd appreciate feedback,comments, suggestions, etc.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Really?? ??? A sniper rifle? :-/

Not that many snipers or DMs in the wild west, if the movies are to be believed ;)

Any thought on how/where you are going to mount optics? or are you one of those that believes they are not necessary, until you play against experienced airsoft snipers, who then proceed to take the piss out you?

To be honest, I think you really haven't thought this through, have you? ::)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vindicareassassin said:
Really?? ??? A sniper rifle? :-/

Not that many snipers or DMs in the wild west, if the movies are to be believed ;)
Try googling "66th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry" a.k.a. "Birge's Western Sharpshooters."

Also, why don't you give this link a whirl? http://cwsutler.hypermart.net/BCA_Scope.html

Any thought on how/where you are going to mount optics? or are you one of those that believes they are not necessary, until you play against experienced airsoft snipers, who then proceed to take the piss out you?

To be honest, I think you really haven't thought this through, have you? ::)
Vindicare, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, assume you had a bad day, take your one attempt at meaningful advice (re: optics) and ignore all the rubbish that you wrote. The funny thing, vindicare, is that you seem to know a great deal about airsoft sniping and related topics and usually appear willing to share without this kind of hazing.

I'm not interested in a Wild West theme. I would like to make an accurate, single-shot rifle that can fill the sharpshooter/marksman role. I'd also like to reap the benefits of an external air rig, without being tethered to my rifle. Given my plans for a rig-on-the-rifle co2 gas conversion, the forward location of the gas reservoir on this rifle is ideal, compared to the gas-in-the-mag model of most conventional airsoft sniping platforms. With a little work, the co2 rig I have planned can sit inside an expanded forward stock, providing a tight, secure setup for "external" co2.

I am open to criticisms and improvements of my plan. One of the potential flaws of which I am aware is that the co2 cartridge will be sitting in a horizontal position. Is a dual reg system sufficient to keep liquid co2 out of the gun? Is the combination of the madbull and palmers regs enough? I know that Palmers regs are high quality. I've not seen much feedback regarding the madbull reg.

Here are some links to the parts I have in mind:
http://www.directoutdoorsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MAD061 (after removing the gas fill nozzle from the regulator)
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=593 to act as a mini-expansion chamber
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_28&products_id=175 Palmer's female stabilizer
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=74 Just some gas line.

The tricky part will be inserting the gas line into the intake nozzle on the rifle. I'll get some pictures up soon, so you can see what I am dealing with.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Probably not the best to come on to a site and start off like that... He came to help you out and was just making sure that you knew what you were getting into or not.

Why not calm down a little and come back with an open mind. Just be aware that we don't know what you have planned or what you know how to do. All that we know is what you type. So remember that the next time that you post something like you just did.

***If you really must send something such as this in a pm.... why not ask him yourself?

"Would you mind pointing out where you thought vindicare came to help me out? I read a post full of sarcasm, false information, and ego. Seriously, I'd like to know what I missed in his post." ***

Again something you probably should have kept to yourself. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
woogie, I sent you a pm in an attempt to keep this thread focused on the topic at hand. I am genuinely interested in getting some feedback regarding my questions, not concerning whether I should or should not put up with tripe from two internet tough guys. The thread has been derailed more than enough.

Posting my pm to you in this thread in lieu of replying directly to me indicates that you are more interested in public drama than a productive discussion. Again something you probably should have kept to yourself. ;)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
See there you go again.... assuming that you know what others are thinking about a particular subject.

There are many people here that would love to help out and to make things easier for you. But when you come on to a forum and start off like you have... what do you expect?

Next question.... have you looked at some of the past threads? Didn't come up with anything in respect to this particular rifle. So maybe those that haven't posted yet are looking for you. And yes vindi I am sure has been looking for you. So to come on here and say such things about people isn't going to get you very far on this board.

There have been a few people that have started out around the same way you have here on this thread. And well ... they didn't last very long on the thread.

And no posting your pm to me on this thread has nothing to do with trying for public drama. We here don't take kindly to members on the board sending comments, such as those that you have posted to myself, about other members. Vindi is a very good guy and really knows what he is talking about. So for you to come on here and start with that, isn't going to sit well with me.

Remember what your mother always told you? If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. So when looking at that, your pm that you sent me was not needed at all. Again to come on to a forum and say such things about other members is not needed and will usually not be tolerated. Just a kind word of advice ;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Oncnawan, I apologies if I caused you some sort of consternation by my initial post, but we do see a fair few 'wOt am bEsteSt gUnz' type posts on here and they do get treated with short thrift, I wrongly assumed that this was another, assumption being the mother of all fuck ups and all.... :-[

And woogie, thanks mate for defending my honor ;)

Back on topic......

I will ask....

Is the hop unit any good? and I mean VSR/AUG/G36 type good?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
No prob vindi...

I have been looking at this rifle online, like I said I would. And there really isn't much on the rifle that I could find. It may be one of those rifles that you have to rip it apart and give it a try.

Do you have access to a machine shop and tools? If not it could make this project very hard to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My apologies to both of you for being hotheaded, arrogant and taking offense where none was intended (the sure mark of a fool, I am told).

I haven't really had a chance to check the hop up, as I have been working too late to fire it outside during daylight hours. I seem to remember there being some good reviews on the base rifle's accuracy (either the Marushin original, or another clone) but my recent attempts to find the review again have been fruitless. Unfortunately, none of the San Jia reviews that I have seen are in English. I'm firing .40 gram Madbulls at the moment, given the stock FPS. I'll try to fit in some time this evening to check the hop up. I'll be sure to post up pics of the hop up unit when I have an empty camera.

I don't have access to a machine shop, there are a few in my area. For the long haul, I have been looking into getting my own mill and other necessary tools for additional projects that I have in mind. In the meantime, if I calculate correctly, I will only need to drill out the current intake opening on the rifle to accommodate a gas line fitting, which I can have done at a local machine shop without too much expense. Then I'll need to rig a new stock to house the expanded girth of my gas rig where the gas tube used to be. The result won't be super pretty, but should be effective.

Any feedback on the gas rig?

It looks like I purchased the last model that ships with a scope, but the scopeless model is now available, with rail attached. http://airsoftglobal.com/product_info.php?cPath=552_554&products_id=10727

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If you are able to get like a dremel tool you can do quite a bit with one of those. ;)

That and no harm done... It takes a bigger man to say sorry than it is to not. so no worries about that, it is all under the bridge.

That and with all the sights that you have found in other languages, like the ones I have found... try using babble fish or something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, after some backyard shooting last night, I think the rifle will perform well in the role of a mobile DM. The lever action is quick, and can be performed without moving the rifle from my shoulder. I'll probably cover the buttplate with something less slick than polished brass (both for concealment and to keep the thing from slipping off my shoulder). Using the rifle with a bi-pod may pose a problem, given the lever action's need for some clearance below the rifle. This may be alleviated with the use of a monopod on the buttstock.

There are a couple of issues with the rifle, like a rather large leak in the gas reservoir (which resolved itself after the first dose of green gas, but should be taken care of by my planned mod anyway) and inconsistent feeding of the bb from the magazine into the receiver (I can articulate the action without getting a bb). The failure to feed a bb consistently is a new development, which gives me hope it can be remedied.

I messed around with the hop up last night, but only have about 100 feet to shoot across my backyard, it was already dusk when I started and I'm using tan bb's which aren't so easy to spot.

Regardless of how this turns out, the Winchester is a fun rifle and the process itself is very educational. I consider the time and money well spent.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Hell if you get something out of it then it is worth it

It does look like it would be a nice DM rifle. Would be really hard to use in the "traditional" sniper role. Would be a great rifle in a CQB area, with a few body mods of course ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.