Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting myself a camcorder to record my games.
But I'm against getting a bulky camcorder, so I was thinking of getting an Action Camera (GoPro, Contour ect.) to act as a scope cam.

The downside to the action cameras, are that they can't zoom (you can buy zoom lenses yes, but they are to expensive atm). But I've seen that you can make an "artificial zoom" when you are editing. The purpose of the zoom is to see the target getting hit and maybe see the travel of the BB. Maybe the zoom is not necessary? I'm aiming at hitting targets at 40-60 meters (130-200 feet).

I would like to hear what you guys think of this and if someone can do a test that would be awesome.

Last but not least, Happy Holidays. :cheers:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Even though the action cams nowadays are in HD, after zooming in close enough to see BBs hitting it'll be EXTREMELY grainy, especially after editing when you'll need to Handbrake the video file down to reasonable size.

I think the best option for you is to get a "bulkier" handy cam - even after zooming in to 50m, my footage can still be useless.

Another thing to take into account, is that zooming in to your target using the camera itself rather than after-market tools, allows the camera itself to know what it's meant to be focusing on. A GoPro with no zoom may want to focus on a leaf two feet in front of your rifle, wheras if you were to zoom in 24x, the camera wouldn't even have that leaf in shot and it would be focused on your target.

FINALLY. I can change the battery on my camera within seconds. Can you even change a battery on a go pro? On the last gameday, I recorded around 4 hours of footage, using two batteries.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well I definitely wouldn't try to use a contour because mine makes 30-40m seem like 100. You can never see what I'm shooting at and it sucks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your arguments makes sense.
But still, I don't like the bulky look. And the "big" camera is more likely to get hit by a bb. (I'm planning on protecting the lens and camera if I get the bulky on).
What I'm basically asking, is it possible to get a decent footage with a "gopro" or is the idea nuts?
I got all winter to find a second hand cam, just need to know if it's a camcorder og action camera.

Sendt from the field with tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I definitely wouldn't try to use a contour because mine makes 30-40m seem like 100. You can never see what I'm shooting at and it sucks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
What type of contour are you using and what do you film in? 720p or 1020p?

·
Registered
427 Posts
A bulkier camera is necessary for image quality. With wider angle lenses/aperture, they bring in more light. This is HIGHLY necessary should you be playing in forests/dull days/twilight/inside.

The go pro cameras have such tiny lenses that they only get decent image quality (even recording in 1080) in reasonable to good light.

IF you are intent on getting a go pro camera, may I suggest hooking some sort of scope up in front of it, so that your go pro is actually recording down a scope? Perhaps a Seben DKa2 would be of some use to you, although I found it got in the way of my bolt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe a stupid idea but.. Couldn't you just record with a gopro set up with another scope? Like put another set of scope rings on with a piece of rail or something and just get it to focus through the scope? It would still be kinda bulky because of the cluster f*** of scope rings but i mean it's something

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have seen amazing quality film taken with a gopro....
I just got one from my girlfriends parents and was planning on using it for paintball and airsoft. If I get to play soon I will upload some film so you can see how it looks.
That would be really cool Thehunter!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a question to all you scope cam users.
Do you film with the LCD screen open or closed? I know of some camcorders that can film with the LCD screen closed, but there is nowhere i can find that information on a camera?

I would prefer to film with the LCD screen closed, afraid it might get snapped of at some point.

Really appreciating you guys opinions. :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
I mainly have mine open. I've had a lot of issues where I either forget to press record, or the zoom wasn't in enough/too far in so that I couldn't see the BB properly etc etc.

I've also got the thing insured against accidental damage...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Get a nice can then attach it to the top of your scope. The bulkness could actually help if you have a ghillie cover on it due to the fact it will help break up the shape of your scope

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just did a shooting test with my gopro. I tried getting it to zoom through a scope but found it wouldn't work. the video doesn't look to bad but it does make everything seem further away. I think your best bet would be to do what dobey and vavann does. Get a nice zoom'able camera to mount to the top of the scope and put a gopro on your head.

I could still probably upload the film if you want.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for testing hunter. I found a secondhand hmx-f80 and picking it up after New year.
Thanks to everyone for advice and input. :-D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but you could look into a Sony handycam with Nightshot function instead. Apparently with IR LED or Laser, you can how have night vision.

There's quite a few videos on youtube about it.

Cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thx for the tip. But I'm nearly done build my platform and I got a Samsung hmx-f80. I will post everything in my project thread, when I'm done. :-D

Sendt fra min Galaxy Nexus med Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts