Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very simple process, however, it requires modifying your selector plate. You're going to need either some sand paper or a file. Also, you'll need a longer spring to replace the current spring the selector plate has.

Guide has been written by myself, and can be found at
http://www.86th.org/?id=sniper

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was going to write this article.
You beat me to it Dutton

If it was anyone other than you, id be upset ;)

I must point out that I have been able to stretch the cut off lever spring slightly with good results.

If the spring must be replaced, look at A "click pen" spring or the flint spring from a "Bic" lighter

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I know this is a Necro-Post from hell... But seeing as all rifles that shoot over 420 FPS in most of the states in the USA (And the world for that matter) need to be on Semi Auto only.. I feel this is important that our snipers who do shoot a SASS know this and apply it to their weapons, so they can legally shoot them at events and operations.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
G&G are different, on version 1 and 2 gearboxes there is a cam on the left side of the gearbox that pushes the fire selector down. All you do is remove the screw holding the cam, remove said cam and replace the screw in the thread, job done ;) unsure on version 4 and Classic Army M14s as they revised the fire selector and I have yet to take one apart, which probably wont be long as one of my mates has just invested in one ;)

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
silent said:
That seems kinda stupid. I mean, its an AEG so why get rid of your full auto. Even if this is a sniper forum, it seems kind of a stupid idea.
How about safety? Some of my AEG sniper rifles are pushing 5-550 FPS, which is outrageous and completely unsafe to allow full-auto. Most places require any rifle shooting over 410.9 FPS (I believe this is MI standard) and 400 FPS + 2% variance (Ohio's standard) to be permanently semi-auto only.

If your gun is shooting that hot, there is absolutely no need to have it shooting full-auto.

In addition, some people go for realism in all facets of the game - which extends to a real-life semi-auto rifle actually shooting semi-auto in the game. For example, and SR25 or SL9 shoot semi-auto only in real life, so some people seek to replicate that in game, whether it's required for their fields' limits or not.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
silent said:
That seems kinda stupid. I mean, its an AEG so why get rid of your full auto. Even if this is a sniper forum, it seems kind of a stupid idea.
You seem to forget that in some countries, i.e. here in England, if you use anything over 368 fps that is self loading, it then becomes a 'section 5 firearm' the penalty for using said gun against a member of the public, i.e. some noddy dressed in camo gear shooting a normal AEG back at you, will win you five, yes I said 5, years in jail plus a fine :'( , not so stupid unless you look forward to a spell dodging soap in the showers ;) there is a grey area that some sights alow upto 425fps but the gun must be perminantly disabled from firing full auto but those sights are very few ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I play with my friends in my woods, so we dont have any rules on fps ourselves. Why would you want an airsoft sniper in the 500 fps range? Its waste of money plus its much more fun it get a less powerful one and have to sneak up on people for closer range. I don't know, i dont like the idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I play with my friends in my woods, so we dont have any rules on fps ourselves. Why would you want an airsoft sniper in the 500 fps range? Its waste of money plus its much more fun it get a less powerful one and have to sneak up on people for closer range. I don't know, i dont like the idea.
I believe that is the whole purpose of carrying a sidearm. In this case, a gas or even an electric pistol for those close up shots.

As for the semi auto part . . . sometimes a gun can malfunction and fire off more rounds than intended. Being able to make sure that can never happen is a big plus. Futhermore, if you need your sniper AEG to shoot full-auto I think you're taking up the wrong role in your team. There is no shame in playing the part of a grunt. Not everybody can stay back and snipe. Some people just naturally shoot straighter than others.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not sure how popular it is to do a DMR from a G36 like i've done, but i thought i'd share my tip to the world anyway.

Instead of modifying anything in the gearbox, i made it so the fire selector physically can't push the selector plate in full auto.
What i did was that i took the gearbox (which is v3) out of it's handle and glued a small peice of plastic to the side of the handle. I have this picture to illustrate it:

In this picture, the fire selector is in the SAFE position. When moving the lever to SEMI, that's where it stops. The small peice of plastic will prevent the lever from moving further and thus preventing it from ever going to AUTO.
Quite simple, very cheap and it can all be reverted to the original state when needed.

This might be used on other rifles too, i'm not sure. I at least hope it might help someone. :)

EDIT:
I also made another small mod that might be used on more rifles other than the G36, but i'm not sure.
I removed the Selector Plate entirely. Instead of using the Selector Plate to connect the small tinplates sticking out from the Switch Assembly, i connected the tinplates by soldering a small peice of metal between them.

This mod will only work if the firing system is not dependant on the Selector Plate.
*Some explaining on how it works in a G36, for those who are interested*
When moving the Fire Selector to SEMI, it pushes the Selector Plate into position so it connects the tinplates in the Switch Assembly. When moving it to AUTO, the Selector Plate also pushes down the Cut-Off Lever in order to let the gears run without stopping after each cycle.
Removing the Selector Plate will prevent the Cut-Off Lever to ever let the Gearbox do AUTO.

In all, two small mods that both are 100% reversable and will prevent your G36 from ever shooting AUTO.

Yet again, hope this can help someone. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dutton,

I will be picking up either a Scar H STD or Scar SSR. The SSR being classfied as a sniper has a full auto capability. My decision is going to come down to the STD if the SSR has no range advantage over the H STD.

Will method of disableing the selector the same for a Scar?

·
Registered
9 Posts
G&G are different, on version 1 and 2 gearboxes there is a cam on the left side of the gearbox that pushes the fire selector down. All you do is remove the screw holding the cam, remove said cam and replace the screw in the thread, job done ;) unsure on version 4 and Classic Army M14s as they revised the fire selector and I have yet to take one apart, which probably wont be long as one of my mates has just invested in one ;)
exactly what i was looking for ;) thanks a ton!

edit: sry 4 necro, but had to say this.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I started to experiment and came up with this:

It works on v2 gearboxes(Tried it on a M4).
1. You find a piece of plastic about 2-3mm thick.
2. Cut it to the desired shape.
3. Drill a hole in it, big enough to fit the body pin(About 6-6.5mm).
4. Fit it in your gun.

This stops the selector plate from moving to FA, and it can be undone if you need to.

In the last picture, I've fitted it on a old gb, just to show where to put it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.