Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the aim top v2 gearbox and I am taking it apart to put in bushings and reshim. When I put the bushings in with no shims and a gear and close the gearbox, there is no side to side wobble at all because the bushings stick up higher. And the gear doesn't spin at all. But it works fine with the bearings that came with it. Should I just leave the bearings in it? And this is a 500-550 fps setup. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Sounds like the lips on the bushings are quite thick for that to happen.

You should always run atleast 1 shim between gears and bushings, as this spreads the load and stops the bushing wearing prematurely against the gear causing sideways slop.

You could invest in a stepped drill and sink the lip grooves in the shell alittle deeper, alternatively you can sand the bushings down on some fine wet & dry sandpaper, but make sure you keep the faces as square and flat as possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bearings are not recommended for a 500-550 FPS setup as they could break. with solid steel bushings you just take one potential problem out of the equation.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I presume you bought shs bushings. They're the only ones I know of which are made to large to fit.

I personally got modify 8mm bushings but I'm not sure of the fitment in the aim gearbox.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You could use bearings on the central idler gear, as it takes the least amount of direct load, but there is still a huge chance they could collapse with the high fps set ups, and as when you buy a set of bushings you get enough to do all the gears you may aswell do just that, just to safe guard the rest of the gearbox :yup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
ok so yeah in theory the bearings ARE weaker than bushings.. BUT..

here's where most people just forget.. quality bearings in these sizes can take MASSIVE loads (im a mechanic and CNC-operator) what people usually screw up is the installing of the bearings..

quick-tip.

When installing bearings for the first time, make sure the slots are clean from dirt and scrap metal from the casting, put the bearings in the freezer for a couple hours and when they wont get any colder, take them out and install them with the help of a metall TUBE that matches the OUTER track of the bearing and gently tap them in - If they can be dropped in with no force then they wont work as a bearing anyways so you might as well slam down a couple bushings in there..

i have (and allways have had) bearings in my guns (5x M120, 3x M150 and 1x M170)

Only had one bearing fail on me, and that was with bearings that came preinstalled in a gearbox in the 30usd range.

sorry if i sound bitter but i feel there's a general hate towards using bearings in high fps setups, and it's blown out of proportions.

to put things into perspective..
there's bearings in most airsoft-motors but short sleve-less versions are the ones taking the worst beating(bending force on the axle from the pinion/bevel) (see M249 as an example) and those bearings dont fail in the first place.., and they are half the size..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Which ones

ok so yeah in theory the bearings ARE weaker than bushings.. BUT..

here's where most people just forget.. quality bearings in these sizes can take MASSIVE loads (im a mechanic and CNC-operator) what people usually screw up is the installing of the bearings..

quick-tip.

When installing bearings for the first time, make sure the slots are clean from dirt and scrap metal from the casting, put the bearings in the freezer for a couple hours and when they wont get any colder, take them out and install them with the help of a metall TUBE that matches the OUTER track of the bearing and gently tap them in - If they can be dropped in with no force then they wont work as a bearing anyways so you might as well slam down a couple bushings in there..

i have (and allways have had) bearings in my guns (5x M120, 3x M150 and 1x M170)

Only had one bearing fail on me, and that was with bearings that came preinstalled in a gearbox in the 30usd range.

sorry if i sound bitter but i feel there's a general hate towards using bearings in high fps setups, and it's blown out of proportions.

to put things into perspective..
there's bearings in most airsoft-motors but short sleve-less versions are the ones taking the worst beating(bending force on the axle from the pinion/bevel) (see M249 as an example) and those bearings dont fail in the first place.., and they are half the size..
Which bearings do you recommend

1 - 12 of 12 Posts