Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The game play was attack and defend in which I was on the defending team. The objective is to defend a flag inside a jungle fortress (you can see the photos below) from the enemy.

Defenders have 1 live with tons of cover sponsored by the fortress. We cannot go outside the walls thou.

Attackers have 3 lives (2 respawns). They can use the full field. About 15 people times 3 lives each.

Before the game, I took a few minutes walking inside the fortress to visualize a strategy and note the vantage points to take in different attacking situations.

I discovered many cracks that are well intended for shooting through. I’m talking about cracks the size of your fist, not the deck-floor-gap type.

I positioned myself on one of the towers where I could see an entire area through a crack and got the whole attacking team pinned down. My riffle is a fully upgraded VSR10 with a TDC mod for dessert. It’s deadly accurate. One guy on the attacking team got really mad because I took all his lives within 2 minutes. He informed his team that I was cheating by crack shooting and came inside the fortress to confront me after the game. I said “I’m sorry that you feel that way and I’d be happy to apologize if the ref says I was wrong.” So the ref came, along with some people on the guy’s team who believed they were shot by me. The ref said that it’s perfectly fine what I did since I can see what I shoot, it’s not blind firing. Besides, I only have 1 life and the fortress is the perk for not having 3 lives like the attackers. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be any cracks at all.

The attackers’ argument was that it’s unfair that I shot through a crack while their team was in the open. However, the ref said I’m okay so I shook everyone’s hands and said sorry if I’ve hurt anyone.

My thoughts simply was that this is a combat sports, there are certain rules but using the field to your advantage can’t be considered cheating. Maybe if they came up with another strategy other than walking through an open field, and took better cover other than behind slim trees, they might have gotten me.

I mean they can also throw a grenade and spray my butt with BBs from it. I wouldn’t complain that I couldn’t run fast enough.

What are your thoughts on shooting through cracks? My situation was fine because the cracks were intended. What if the cracks are not there on purpose, would it be considered cheating or field craft?

The fortress:

Water Plant Wood Font Tree

This is the tower that I used:
Tree Wood Plant Trunk Window

Plant Wood Tree Natural landscape Trunk

My gun:
Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Wood Tree

·
Registered
721 Posts
While not necessarily cheating I can definitely see why kill holes like these are considered unfair/favouring the guy behind the hole

The cover itself already makes whoever behind the hole a lot harder to hit (both because it's darker and harder to spot, as well as having a much smaller area they can hit), and with a good lockdown from your teammates that prevents them from flanking, or if there are no good covers that stops them from being flanked instead you might as well be completely unapproachable, and obviously you can't blast covers open by shooting through it

One of the arguments of "but yuhr teammates, flanking" is that unless the sniper's teammates are totally useless, trying to out flank a team that has half an idea what they are doing is much easier said than done

·
Registered
209 Posts
You can shot any enemy you can see through sights, scope etc no matter if you are behind a crack or anything else (except using a human "hit" shield). Ref was right!
Opponents should find a way to take you out and use your position's disadvantage. Not complaining about it, because you found great cover...
The only unfair I read is that attackers had more "lives". All should have same 3 "lives".

·
Registered
453 Posts
My favorite ruleset requires that murder holes be the size of a person's head to shoot from. I know realistically it doesn't make a ton of sense, but this is airsoft, and it keeps the game more balanced. Poking your barrel through a 1" slot in a fence basically makes you invulnerable. Might be fun for the shooter, but the other team is having a miserable time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My favorite ruleset requires that murder holes be the size of a person's head to shoot from. I know realistically it doesn't make a ton of sense, but this is airsoft, and it keeps the game more balanced. Poking your barrel through a 1" slot in a fence basically makes you invulnerable. Might be fun for the shooter, but the other team is having a miserable time.
get better tactics and flanking maneuvers LOL

No rules with the exception of out of bounds and obvious safety.
Blind firing is also a no go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have a clear sight picture that allows you to see you enemy, use it.

That gives me an idea for my home field and I'll let you know if it works, or I receive similar complaints....

Cheers ,
BroHay

·
Registered
2017 Ford Raptor
204 Posts
My home field uses the 'fist-sized hole rule', which is a good balance between realism and gameplay, IMO.

This whole discussion highlights the difference in mindset between tactiCOOl players and actual tactical ones. In real life, you would have been sniping from a much further distance, but equally unassailable as far as the enemy was concerned. Running up into your killzone is frankly stupid, and ought to be punished by repeated deaths (as your opponent experienced).

On the flip side, the reason that shooting through tiny holes kind of ruins the experience is because our airsoft guns don't penetrate. Real guns do, so while you can shoot through cover you risk getting return fire (you can get suppressed). In airsoft this isn't the case unless the opening is large enough for you to be hit. So if you were shooting through a barrel-size crack with a full auto gun, there would be no effective counter and it would sour the game - as well as not mirror real life (for those of us who like milsimming). Having a larger opening - allowing you to be hit - means there is counter play, while still providing the benefits of well-utilized fortification.

On a related note, I kinda wish the blind fire rule wasn't a thing. I get why it exists, but there are plenty of valid scenarios where you'd want to put down fire around a corner while not exposing yourself. To be clear, I'm not advocating for peek blink fire (where you can still see your target through a different slot), I'm advocating for total blind fire where you dodge into cover, but engage your gun at a target you can't see at all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gun hits don't count on our field, but can be expensive if a BB hits glass and blemishes or evens chips/breaks optic if that is all that is presented....just like they say during safety brief, if the head is all that is presented you can expect a head shot to be coming....

We had a game mode, bomb run, where ALOT of players were going on about gear and such (before the round) and why was it necessary other than to 'flex' how big ones bank account might be.....

To this date, my son/I have been the only successful completion of this game scenario b/c we kept in contact with the admin (verbally) but were hiding on the vegetation waiting for the opportunity to strike .

Point is, everyone started to complain about the gear we had and the unfair advantage. Nothing more that an M4, ssg10, and pistols as secondary with KMCS viper hoods. Most players seem to find a reason to complain if there is some sort of advantage that results in their loss.....

There are winners and losers in life....plain fact.....

Cheers,
BroHay

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Yeah, in airsoft you don't exactly need body armor or the ability to carry 50 pounds of shit on you, so I don't see why you wouldn't go with a harness or light chest rig and some light ghillie. If you look at actual snipers, they'll use whatever they can, which these days has to be "invisible" in both the visible spectrum and IR spectrum as to not be detected by thermal.
Of course only the wealthier countries do this, but it is becoming more and more of a thing to have IR proof gear.
Obviously some teenager with full Adidas and an AK, or some teenager with full Adidas and a Cyma AK can be pretty dang effective, as it mostly comes down to tactics and speed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hahaha, combat sport..

But really tho, if you can fist it, youre good to go.

Tiny cracks are pretty gay, cause as tank said, plastic bbs dont penatrate, and trying to pass one through a hole even two fingers thick from 60yards isn't happening even with the best bolties I've see, unless they give you all day. The guy who's hunkered down on his ass and hiding already has almost all the advantages over the assaulter, no need to further encourage camping by making youself a 2" inch narrow target.

But if its the strip of missing board in the 2nd to last picture, that looks game. Life and airsoft seems rarely to offer an even playing field. I dont see it as a measuring stick or even fair contest. Its not stepping into the ring.

Nice field btw

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another sniper, or some well placed and heavy cover fire would easily eliminate you as a threat if its the slat missing next to the tree. It's a great position of advantage but only supplies so much advantage against what I would consider to be moderately skilled players. A grenade is also a great way to eliminate that threat. Poor execution of battlefield tactics in my opinion. Tell them to suck less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts