Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking about the last time I was out. (not the best day I've had though) There was one time where I had a very clear shot on a stationary target. Only problem was it was beyond my effective range of my rifle. I'm sure that if I had known what to adjust I could of hit the target. Does anyone have anyway of making shot calculations?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
It's all in the physics man. If you can learn your way around the hopup, you can make distance shots by arcing. Takes some time and patience, but with the proper adjustment and angle you can float 250 effective out to 350.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Its really all about knowing your rifle and how it shoots..... intimately!!

You also need to master Kentucky windage style of hold over on your target.

They are both learnt from using your rifle.... alot,..... the hold over can also be attributed to some degree of natural skill, and a fair amount of down right luck, by the time you factor in all the other things like wind at, and too, the target, etc :shrug:

I've found that for taking a mortar style shot, that is just outside your scope veiw, a spotter can help to call your shot adjustments.

Short of that leave them alone and pick on someone nearer :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Use a semi auto rifle and a giant scope reticle, and know exactly where your rifle shoots and how it shoots inside of 500 feet or so. Other than that, a spotter you have worked with for a long time can help, or just leave them alone, like vindi said.

With an ER-hop that range can extend for quite a ways, have you tried that yet?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent tried an er-hop. I also need to keep within 328fps. If you remember, Overwatch is going to be my spotter. I have a good understanding of the way my rifle shoots. Should I have mil-dots on my crosshairs? My scope really doesnt have any. Also Im not sure how to go about an er-hop.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I succesfully used Kentucky windage, for over-distance shots aswel. Do note, that youre shots have almost no impact energy left at that point, so your shot is basically as effective as the honesty of the target. (didnt know Kentucky Windage was the term, i always use this instead of changing my scope)

Mil-dots will really help in this style of adjustments. It is not needed, but will make that follow-up shot (which is bound to happen) that much easier.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Mil dots will help in doing shot corrections, but you can still do the same thing using a 30/30 or any other cross haired scope.

You just have to adjust your point of impact and/or aim point to factor in the amount you missed by, it really is that simple.

You really should get an ER style hop and even think about fitting an LRB, especially at your restricted fps. (Top tipette for those of us on restricted fps.... add some weight to your piston, about half to three quarters of an ounce, this will loose you fps with a .2, but it will help increase your overall fps when using heavier ammo :tup:)

Both will help in maintaining the accuracy/stability of the BB in flight, and elongate you range.

Sometimes sadly though, the target will just be too far away :shrug:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am able to make consistent shots at distance because I have learned to use my mildots to estimate range very quickly. I had a 6 foot tall friend stand at 50 yards in order to measure him in my 4x scope. He was the combined height of all my mildots from top to bottom. So if the average man steps into that range or is half that size I know roughly 50 yards or 100 yards and know the respective hold overs and unders to achieve hits (100 yds isnt easy even I you know where to hit keep in mind with BASR).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mil dot

You need to know.

Watch this Marine Sniper / Instructor explain Mil Dots.

Then, follow on for more explanation, he goes on in further video's about Minute of Angle (MOA)

Figure out how you can use a Mil Dot scope with your rifle at given distances for your rifle.

Instead of yards, think in feet, or meters, or what is familiar to you for range. I'm most failure with feet and yards.
If you are zeroed in at say 50 feet, at 100 feet you will need X MOA to achieve your bulls eye. At 150 feet you'll need XX MOA to hit that bulls eye.
The MIL DOTs on the cross hairs in the scope are your quick reference to make those elevation adjustments with just your eye.
This is without changing your bucking at all. And with using only one weight of BB.
So, say you have a decent MIL DOT scope, and you know it is consistent (zeroed) at a given distance, you can quickly choose to raise your point of aim by a number of those Mil Dot gradients in your scope. (Example: one X, or two XX, or what works for you, your gun, with the BB's you use.)
And because you practiced at the zero point, then a known greater distance, and a known even greater distance, when you see team reds guy turkey up you can elevate with your eye and have your shot more accurately bink him on the bean.
It's taking "real steel" knowledge and scaling it down to Airsoft fields.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.