Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on whether or not this would be a good idea. The reason I ask is because both fields that I play at are constructing urban cities and I thought that having a shotgun as a part of my urban combat load would be a good idea. I would be carrying my sniper rifle, a tactical vest, the shotgun I chose, a shotgun scabbard and a drop leg hostler for my sidearm....and thoughts?

·
Registered
807 Posts
shotguns are cool... in real combat. for airsoft application you may as well toss out your pistol and use a springer pistol from big5, you'll get the same effectiveness as a shotgun. The pros would be that 1. you get 3bbs per shot (if you get one like that) and 2.... i cant think of one. the CONs would be that you would have a pump shotgun (as far as I know there are no good semi autos) and for urban you would have a long gun for clearing rooms/sweeping corners, and in both of those situations you would be better off with your pistol. with your pistol you may not have the power that some shotguns would have, but you would have accuracy. if anything go with a SMG if you want something "better" than your pistol.

all of this assumes that you would, for some reason, not be a sniper. Since in urban combat the sniper should be sitting on the outside covering the insertion team as they go into an area and reporting enemy movement from the outside.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see where you are coming from with this, but I would be playing the sniper role. The field that I play at has a large city and I would not be able to cover my team from the outskirts of it for more than maybe 1/10 of it. I thought about getting a shot gun because there would be a lot of house to house fighting and that would be under the MED of my sniper rifle. The city fighting would also push the limits of my pistol and for my urban setup I would not bear wearing a ghillie suit so that would not be any issue.

Edit: I can post pics of the city if you want to see the size of it/

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with bob. A shotgun is just to big and not effective in airsoft anyways. Go with a pistol or SMG. Your pistol is only going to be used inside buildings where the range is low, so you don't need it to shoot far because, you are hopefully not going to use it outside (thats what your rifle is for...)

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Adding a shotgun to your sniper set up is just one more thing you have to take care of on the field. This is not real combat with real guns which can take one hell of a beating. With your primary, shotgun, and pistol, you almost have to babysit to make sure everything is in tact. If you are set on a shotgun, ditch the pistol. If you like the pistol, ditch the idea of a shotgun.

Personally, I wanted to go with a multi shot shotgun for my back up to my primary. It would be pump action, and would be less of a hassle than a gas gun pistol. Not to mention, a tad quieter as there is no loud clack like there is when you shoot a gas pistol. Also, to avoid having two big guns, the shotgun would have to be sawed off, which offers a tad more mobility. This way it is not overbearing for you when you need to run.

Overall, I say if you would like, go ahead and buy a multi shot, pump action shotgun like the UTG one. Cheap, reliable, and not extremely heavy. But, that means ditch the pistol because I know I would not like to babysit everything.

Its only my 2 cents though ;)

Edit: Forgot to add this....
Using the pump shotgun in the winter when it is cold will be effective while your gas pistol will lack everything due to the temperature. If this suits you, buy the shotgun for the winter time, and use the gas pistol in the warmer climates.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Sounds like the right move there. When you say drop the pistol do you mean sell it or just not use it with your sniper loadout anymore? Just wondering because if you ever play a game where you decide not to be a sniper, you could roll with the shotgun as your primary and the pistol as your sidearm.

·
Registered
89 Posts
this is where that 6 man sniper team would come in really well. let them be a sweep team and security force for you but then thats if your shooting 100yrds other wise the extra range you offer isn't worth the extra manpower to cover you.

if you want the idea of what a shot gun should be in airsoft try this
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_46&products_id=32754

or a tanaka one:
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AdvanceSearchResult?sorting=statusAsc&sortNameFilter=&mainCatFilter=&subCatFilter=1241&showImage1=1&gallery1=1&paging=&search=true&submit2=&subCateChange=true&mainCateChange=true&showOnlyChange=&productname=&productcode=&menu1=3&menu2=&price1=null&price2=null&power1=null&power2=null&brandId=&orderby=status&ordering=1&special=%0D%0A&buy=&from=&showImage=1&gallery=1&byCategory=true&pageIndex=1&pageIndex2=1

since ur indoors you don't have to worry about losing shells

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuzzy-I would keep the pistol for when I am playing in my ghillie suit. I wouldn't use it in my urban combat loadout.
Tux- My spotter and I as well as a couple members on my team are gonna try that out at the next OP cuz it will be a milsim event in the city only. I believe that this is the only place where the 6 man team setup would work in airsoft.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you get a nice quality GBB w maybe an extra mag or two then there's really no point in having a shotgun as a backup to your sniper rifle. At least my GBB's can get the same or better range than my tri-shot.

At least from my personal experience I tried using my UTG full stock tri-shot and it just ended up being too cumbersome, and by the time it took for me to drop my AEG and shoulder my shotgun I'd probably already be dead.

Or just get like a well MP7 and use that as a backup if you need it as a sidearm. You can get drop leg holsters for them too...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to love shotguns and have owned about 5 different ones. I do not find any of them to be a good sidearm. The rate of fire is lower than a much more compact pistol. When I used a shotgun I used it as a primary. Great tool, crappy sidearm.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I usede to use a shotty as a side arm along side my visser, it was a full length with the butt stock removed, much easier to service than a pistol, ther's no gas to cook off or go wrong on you, you don't have to aim it as much to do just as much damage, it induces the biggest shit eating grin when in use, and nothing says it better than 3 BBs

For what its worth I now use a 1911 alongside my DMRs ;)

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
vindicareassassin said:
I usede to use a shotty as a side arm along side my visser, it was a full length with the butt stock removed, much easier to service than a pistol, ther's no gas to cook off or go wrong on you,
Thats probably the best part about the pump action spring shotgun. No gas means a whole lot more reliability, especially in colder weather. I have had times where my gas pistol just blew out all the gas in one shot for no reason. Here is a pro con list for the shotgun (multi shot) as a sniper's sidearm

Pros
Spring powered (works in any weather)
Uses shells....badass ;)
Way more quiet than the average gas pistol
3 shots...you can't miss :) (ok maybe sometimes)
No need to fill her up with gas, just pump and go

Cons
Bigger (suffer alot of mobility)-biggest con
slower rof
Less accurate from further distances, but hey its a shotgun!

Overall, in my opinion, a shotgun offers so much more. Mainly I like them because there is no gas involved whatsoever. If it were me, I would use one with my sniper loadout, (low on cash at the moment :'() especially during the colder months. Not to mention, if I am not sniping, I can easily role with the shotgun as a primary.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Use it for a few games and see how it works for you.

I currently have a UTG sawn off tri shot that I love. It is a tank of a shot gun. The one thing I don't like is that the shells don't always come out of the shotgun. But I may have to give it a try my next game, as I still don't have mags for my pistol...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a UTG tri shot shotgun. I would really recommend it, since they are extremely cheap, and can be very effective in short range. Using .25s I can hit a target 75ft away. Also if you looking for a compact electric, I would recommend the galaxy mp5k. Its cheap, and I like it alot, but there really isn't a good holster for it. Airsoft GI has one I think, but its terrible from what I have heard. Lastly, I have two CYMA g18s that I use as my back up (other than my GBB). If you want something really compact and light, but still packs a good punch, you should look in to AEPs, and CYMA makes a nice g18.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A shot gun sounds like a great idea for a back-up weapon to me. Well only if you can get a shotgun with just pistol grip and a sling, my friend has a shot gun and he does better with it than his m4, and we play outdoors with some fairly long shots. I've shot it and was more accurate at further ranges than all 4 GBB pistol we have. and yes it was a multi-shot. The only thing the pistol has that the shotgun doesn't is the high rate of fire, but that just decreases the accuracy even more. So I'm all for the shotgun idea, not for me, but I really like the idea.

·
Registered
209 Posts
quick bit of input on the OP question.

Try it. What have you got to lose?

I have a shotgun. It was like 50$ and I love it. Absolutly you should get one if you want it. But get the tri shot. I get fair range out of mine. Each shell holds 30 rounds, and shoots three at a time. So I have a side sadle with 6 shells in it. And now that ive gotten into the whole sniper side of things, Im thinking I might just get a nice little Condor shotgun holster and strap it on my vest in the rear with my water. Who knows. Could be fun !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.