Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Still didn't answer the "readily be convertible" question. At what point do they say a lathe is a NFA item due to constructive intent? You can't just put a can on a gun, it needs the right threads to even be attached. I am not talking about the QD can that function around replica flash hiders and would attach to real flash hiders. I am talking about changing the threads of airsoft can. Common rifle threads are 14x1mm left, 18x1mm, 1/2-28, 5/8-24 for calibers between .22 to .338. Most airsoft cans are 14x1mm + or - which I can see the issue with 14x1mm lefty rifle threads. But if the toy can is altered to 15x1mm for example it would require the barrel of real gun to be re threaded. Heck lets say 16x1mm and you know what they say about removing material. Here is the thing, some those "barrel shrouds" would not pass. It only needs to work once and change the report by 1db. So the whole thing about whether it has foam or not is redundant.

I don't know much about smithing but apparently there is + and - threads for both left right handed threads. CW airsoft cans maybe the better choice since they won't fit already.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ok, so if I have a toy can I can't own it anymore if it fits on some gun anywhere in the world? When does "readily be converted" become defined here? You still need a firearm. I don't own anything that I can mount my toy can too either by friction, threaded muzzle or QD mount, but since my neighbor does, I'm the bad guy? Forget logic, we are talking about the ATF, where is the sense in all of this? When did I become liable for someone else's consumer decisions? Seriously, do they just want my toy can to sell to the Mexican drug cartels? What, too early?

Why are these not considered to be low quality mock suppressors in comparison to real mock suppressors for real firearms? The type of products linked below is okay but if its re-branded by Echo1 it is not? http://usmachinegun.com/products.php?cat=33 There has got to be something we are missing here.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What about the "readily be converted"? How am I in-part responsible for someone else's property?

Got it Woogie, so as long as I don't have foam in it its ok? You realize thats not what makes a the bigger difference in the db, right? The can itself would be a single baffle and the foam would not change much.

@lainthecity, the taxes change. $200 is the run of the mill tax. Short Barrel Shotguns are $5, SBRs and cans are $200 , not sure about the full-autos (technically a class II item but you have to get it from a Class III dealer just liek all the others so there is confusion there, I think) and the others are more. All of them are cumulative meaning that a suppressed SBR would need two $200 stamps and a decade for the paper work. The suppressor is its own item and is not tied to a particular weapon. SOT stamps are a $500 annual tax stamp for suppressor manufacturers. This also allows you go back and make changes and repairs without another $200 stamp. There are two main ways to purchase a NFA item, as a private citizen or via a trust.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If it is permanently attached to the airsoft replica it is legal. Most consider "permanently attached" means welded. If it is apart of the replica in such a way that it can not function without it, it is also legal. Meaning integrated airsoft silenced barrels are okay too.

Woogie, don't take this the wrong way but "at least in my eyes" is a little iffy to say the least.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Got it Woogie, no one here is talking about breaking the law we are discussing the law itself. We can't rely on our own interpretations of the law. We normally come to logical reasoning when we find it necessary to restrict someone or something. They do not, they have a much large group of people to deal with as well. So what makes sense to us may or may not be correct.

Personally, I don't see how I can be held responsible for a toy can if it fits on someone else's firearm. I consider myself sufficient in preventing it from being "readily be convertible". Now if I was a felon (malicious character) or owned a firearm that could fit it (constructive intent), ok. Weak... but... I don't appreciate their assumption they are taking about me, hypothetically. They are assuming I have ill intent just by, and if, I own one.

Do you think any landowner would have issue if someone brought a real suppressor on their land on a replica, because its technically considered a firearm?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.