Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a few days ago, we had a fairly long thread going about the ins and the outs of silencers when it comes to airsoft side of things. I have done some digging, and am going to post it up here as it pertains to the US group of people.

I really don't want people to chime in and say " well I heard from, or I read... blah blah blah" This is coming from the horses mouth at the ATF. I currently have an email asking the head people out in Washington ( again mind you ) just to make sure we know what is going on and what is to be expected.

http://searchjustice.usdoj.gov/search?q=silencer+%28+faq+%29&site=default_collection&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&client=atf&proxystylesheet=atf

Link right to the ATF page.....

ATF Home Firearms Frequently Asked Questions National Firearms Act (NFA)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They don't need threads. There are friction fit suppressors out there that are only many to be used a dozen or so times and then tossed.

So in that way the thread size and pitch don't mean squat.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is just it though Mateba..... there really is no logic to it.

Those are FAKE cans.... in other words they are solid chunks of metal. And there for not a suppressor. But the second that you bore them out and put any kind of material inside of them it is a suppressor, and you are in trouble.

There is nothing illegal with FAKE suppressors..... as they are solid tubes and do not muffle the sound.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anything that has end caps on it and is hollow... that would be ( at least in my eyes "readily available" ) But again this is up for interpretation, and if it were to ever go to court..... you are going to loose against the ATF.

Sword........ it is easy as this. If you make a suppressor of any kind that is able to muffle the sound of any real steal rifle.... then it is illegal. It doesn't matter how it is attached to the rifle, just that it can be. And it doesn't matter how it is done, just that it can be done.... and it can always be done.

What is being talked about now, is what I would call a "grey area" Because there are ways around the wording, but it is different to everyone. And the only person who can say yes or no.... is the ATF, and no body else. So if you have any doubt in your mind that it would be illegal..... it would be best not to do it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The suppressor has to be welded and pinned to the barrel, and not be able to be taken apart. This is how Gamo slid by the laws with their air rifle. And an integral is still considered a suppressor, and as such it still needs to have the tax stamp and all of the ATF paper work filled out.

In my eyes that is how I interpret the law... but I am not going to try my luck and push it. Because again it will come up to the ATF and me.... and guess who has the better lawyers.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not as long as it is legal.

But yeah I hear what you are saying as well. It is one of those stupid things, but it only took a few people to screw it up for the rest of us.

When it comes to the suppressor side of things, yes they still think that if you own them you are going to out and conduct in "illegal" activities. And the public is still in the mind that the only people that need suppressors are criminals as well as murderers. But this just isn't the case, as there are more people killed by house hold items than there are buy people who use illegal/let alone legal suppressors.

But it seems that the laws have come out of ill informed people.

But yeah I agree with you though. Just because you are going to use them only on an airsoft gun, you shouldn't be singled out. But there are those out there that will try to use them on a real rifle.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It has to be pinned and welded to the rifle and can not be taken apart in order for it to be ok. This is one of those things, espically now that they would probably use you as an example and give you the max pennelty. So JB weld or locktite won't cut it for the ATF, it has to be on there good.

I know most people have some kind of extension at the end of their barrels, espically on the Tanakas and what not. But if they quiet the sound down even by a little, it is classified as a functioning suppressor and requires the correct stamps.

There have been a few people in the last year or so that have been convicted of making illegal suppressors for a paintball gun, a bb gun, and an air rifle. They were all given the max to show others what can come of this. I for one really don't want to try my luck with the ATF as they will have much better lawyers than I could ever afford.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You guys 100% sure about that?

Go check the BATF website, and look at the FAQ section. They have a few questions about paintball and airsoft suppressors on their site. And they comment to the fact that they are indeed illegal. It doesn't matter what the threads are on a rifle becuase you can easily thread any barrel for any thread.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No the most common thread size is 1/2 x 20, of course depending on your barrel size.

But here in the US there have been people that have been tried and convicted from using paintball and airsoft suppressors on the intended rifle. Most of the airsoft suppressors can be press fit on a thinner profiled barrels. And all the ATF has to do is get one shot through the can and have the sound drop by a few Db and you have a working suppressor.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Speeding is one thing, and everyone knows the laws about that. Where as silencers most LEO's don't know all of the laws about them, and many still think that they are illegal to own. Even if you have the paperwork, they can still legally sieze your suppressor ( now you will get it back though ).

So I wouldn't want to be one of the guys that finds out what happens, and I don't want any of you to be either. That and they really have no function on most rifles, though on ours they do. Make it apart of the rifle, like make the inner barrel shorter and use the rest of the outer barrel as the body.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.