Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Actually the most noise is coming from around the trigger, because the parts inside the cylinder make the most noise, and the closest opening for the sound to escape is the trigger. That is why Silent keeps telling us to soundproof our triggers. But once again, this thread is about silencers, not silencing guns in general.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Regardless of where the noise comes from my hypothesis stays the same. Also I do not feel the need for a new thread as this is a little different than sound proofing... This is a new type of silencer.

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
248 Posts
Back on topic- here's my favorite plinker (real steel)-

S&W M&P15-22 with Magpul furniture, with my YHM 9mm M2 Cobra Suppressor. >:D

Love that thing- my son has shot it at the range and it is so easy and quiet- all you hear is the action cycling.

I also have a Walther P22 and my personal favorite, a SIG P226, both with threaded barrels and will accept the same can. ;)

My next real steel project after I'm done with airsofting for a bit is a SBR AR build in 300 Blackout, with a YHM 7.62mm Suppressor. It'll be SICK... :yup:
especially since I know how to reload- so subsonic ammo is no problem at all...;)

Something like this:Noveske 10" SBR

Waiting on that build, as it'll be over $2k easy- $400 in tax stamps alone for SBR and suppressor.:doh:

·
Registered
384 Posts
In terms of legality, the use of an active noise-cancellation suppressor will run under the same restrictions as any other suppressor.

A suppressor with the concept you have in mind is possible, but a new thread would probably be the best platform to discuss the idea. This particular thread focuses on the legal parameters of sound suppressing equipment and it would be delightful to discuss this topic further, elsewhere :D.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im happy that Supressors are legal for both AS & RS guns here.

Here alot of hunters use them, so they dont haveto use big unconfortable ear protection..

Love my country Norway :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
This airsoft hobby and it's players are well, example, It's like being the owner of a Pitt-bull. There are always going to be opinions and judgement on both sides of the fence, We called it growing pains. Every one knows how to grow and train a dog the correct way. I speak from experience,( airsoft in this case) you know the nature of the dog, you know the thing has a set of jaws and they like to use them, The temperment, etc. But, there are the few that think pitt-bulls are mean and scary,and attack with out reason. For airsoft players our guns "look like" real guns(some people are scared of guns,don't like guns so, they fear them and not investigate and people don't want to know why so, they are a gun and they are dangerous, etc. One more thing. I don't know how many of us have thought about it this way, is educate and inform when possible, as "owners" we are responsible for out side opinions by our own actions, So which way do we raise the dog, is up to us. I'm sorry, I went on a slight rant..But this brought back some experiences with paint ball... :cheers:
jamis17

·
Registered
919 Posts
Boy does this whole discussion bring back memories from my PB days of old with loud pump guns and sneaking around. Well they were loud.....:shrug:

if they really want to hunt me down it wont be for this. I am a card carrying member of the rocket club that beat them in court !!!!:cheers:

I rolled a really nice matte finish carbon fiber tube today.....

On a serious note, if the "can" item in question is permanently attached it is okay?

Paul

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It has to be pinned and welded to the rifle and can not be taken apart in order for it to be ok. This is one of those things, espically now that they would probably use you as an example and give you the max pennelty. So JB weld or locktite won't cut it for the ATF, it has to be on there good.

I know most people have some kind of extension at the end of their barrels, espically on the Tanakas and what not. But if they quiet the sound down even by a little, it is classified as a functioning suppressor and requires the correct stamps.

There have been a few people in the last year or so that have been convicted of making illegal suppressors for a paintball gun, a bb gun, and an air rifle. They were all given the max to show others what can come of this. I for one really don't want to try my luck with the ATF as they will have much better lawyers than I could ever afford.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I am so glad that suppressors are legal around here. If anyone (WHO CAN AND MAY USE THESE LEGALLY) need some help with what works, you can pm me.

Also, i'm still sorta confused on why you actually cant have silencers in the US?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You can own them legally, you just need to get the correct paper work (Different forums if you buy or make one AFAIK) done and pay a $200 tax stamp. I think they are considered Class III items under the National Firearms Act, along with fully automatic rifles and Short barreled rifles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can own a foam filled suppressor. Its legal. Its illegal for a USA based company or distributor to sell to minor or private collector. The reason its legal is because the threading is such that its impossible to mount to any real firearm with the exception of an AK47(positive threading) The ATF would also have to prove with a commercial airsoft suppressor that the foam absorbs the expanding gas from the round as it leaves the barrel. This is impossible because airsoft suppressors dont have a baffle system. If you want to believe the "geniuses" at KWA over me; please contact your local BATF office and repeat the legality of airsoft suppressors back to them. Dont feel insulted if they laugh before hanging up on you.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You guys 100% sure about that?

Go check the BATF website, and look at the FAQ section. They have a few questions about paintball and airsoft suppressors on their site. And they comment to the fact that they are indeed illegal. It doesn't matter what the threads are on a rifle becuase you can easily thread any barrel for any thread.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No the most common thread size is 1/2 x 20, of course depending on your barrel size.

But here in the US there have been people that have been tried and convicted from using paintball and airsoft suppressors on the intended rifle. Most of the airsoft suppressors can be press fit on a thinner profiled barrels. And all the ATF has to do is get one shot through the can and have the sound drop by a few Db and you have a working suppressor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The issue here is what the law says versus how the law is enforced. It's like a speed limit: the posted speed is how the law is written.

Usually, law enforcement will not ticket drivers who exceed, by a small amount, the posted speed. That is how the law is enforced.

Federal law is clear--functioning, removable paintball and airsoft silencers are subject to the law's restrictions. That is how the law is written.

Law enforcement officials have some discretion; they may choose to ignore what they perceive as very minor violations of the law, such as functioning, removeable airsoft silencers. That is how the law is enforced.

It is important not to confuse how the law is enforced with how it is written. A police officer CAN legally pull you over and give you a speeding ticket for driving one mile per hour over the posted speed limit. Such a stop may be unusual in practice but, make no mistake, the law permits an officer to do so.

Likewise, law enforcement can legally target your functioning, removable airsoft silencer and bring you into the criminal court system. Just because they haven't done it doesn't mean they lack the legal authority to do so.

So, to continue the above post to the effect of:

"if you call the BATF about your functioning, removable airsoft silencer, don't be surprised when the feds laugh before hanging up"

be sure to add:

"but also don't be surprised to have them take down your information and show up in the next few days with a search warrant and, possibly, an arrest warrant."

Bottom line: Woogie is correct. If your silencer actually reduces the sound of your rifle then the federal laws apply.

Joe

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Speeding is one thing, and everyone knows the laws about that. Where as silencers most LEO's don't know all of the laws about them, and many still think that they are illegal to own. Even if you have the paperwork, they can still legally sieze your suppressor ( now you will get it back though ).

So I wouldn't want to be one of the guys that finds out what happens, and I don't want any of you to be either. That and they really have no function on most rifles, though on ours they do. Make it apart of the rifle, like make the inner barrel shorter and use the rest of the outer barrel as the body.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.