Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be venturing into making buckings through silicone casting and was curious if anyone had any experience with different types of silicone sealant? From what I can tell generic silicone won't hold up so I'm leaning towards a composite poly,rubber,sili types. Any insight would be helpful.

Also buckings are labeled by degrees 50,60,70deg... silicone has a hardness rating like 50a,75a... I wonder if these are direct correspondents to each other.

Some of the many options I have spotted
McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
From my experience, 70° is the optimal hardness for silicone it seems, judging by Maple Leaf 2021 buckings and the 70° blue McMaster tubing. I have 80° urethane and it works well, but I feel that 70° is just the best in terms of grip and hardness with silicone.

I use Smooth On PMC 780 Dry I believe, but Smooth On makes a shit ton of stuff so I'd look at their site for other stuff like silicone, and something in 70°.
For the McMaster stuff, don't buy that. Besides being awfully soft, the set time is 5 minutes, and I find that I spend up to 15 getting an R-hop casting just right, or I have to find something, or whatever else. No reason to be in a hurry doing this stuff.

Urethane is good as it's super wear resistant(my stuff is for moulding concrete stuff) but I feel like it's less grippy/sticky and isn't ideal in some setups.
I've yet to decide, but it seems like silicone is easier to set up, but urethane is easier to make decent patches compared to cut tubing. Also, I have less experience with the harder Maple Leaf 2021s, but I currently have a 85° and it's just as good at the 70°, but should last longer. It has the same grip, it should just last longer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the main thing is finding the correct hardness/durability right now. I'm not that concerned with working time since I will be pouring/injecting them into an aluminum mold. 90% sure I'll have to dilute them with thinner to get them liquid enough to pour. I will look into the urethane and try to find the 65-75 hardness range that's ideal since that seems to be the sweet spot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts