Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intriguing. Probably over-engineered. I'm pondering how solid it could be as a long-range platform...with an Edgi barrel and Warhead motor.

-CNC aluminium wide bore cylinder/upper gearbox (26mm diameter, +19% compared to a standard AEG), including a spring quick change design.
-CNC aluminium cylinder head, NBR piston damper, stainless steel nozzle.
-CNC aluminium ventilated piston head, FKM o-ring, POM glider ring.
-CNC stainless steel & aluminium spring guide, equipped with a thrust bearing. 3 lugs design ensuring a better axial alignment.
- “Tappet plate-less” construction.
-CNC aluminium piston body, hardened MIM steel 16 teeth rack.
-18:1 torque up gear set, hardened MIM steel.
-ADC 12 aluminium gearbox carter, 10mm ball bearing.
-Designed to operate on 11.1V Li-Po batteries (possibility to operate on 7.4V).
-Electronic Trigger Unit, CPU motor control, gear cycle and fire selector position detection by Hall Effect sensor. 2 mosfets for power, 1 mosfet for active braking.
-Neodymium high-torque motor 19000RPM (11.1V), short axis.
-Silver-plated wiring, Teflon coated.

Automotive lighting Toy Automotive design Electric blue Engineering
Input device Gadget Engineering Electric blue Audio equipment
Engineering Gas Machine Cable Wire

· Registered
774 Posts
Would be more interested if they have a GBB version

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GBB is a waste of time IMO - and yes, I have both owned and used several including a WE SVD and SCAR-H. The performance is just not good enough, or consistent enough, or reliable enough for my needs....yep, it's a totally subjective opinion and I understand why GBB/EBB has adherents (The SVD in particularly kicked like a 5.56mm and was a great, visceral experience) but these days I want absolute precision and reliability. That raises the question of HPA but I can't stand that either.........again, I've tried it.

Then again, the MDR-X could suck - look at the AAF when they tried to cram a whole load of refinements/improvements into an AEG platform....:)

· Registered
774 Posts
GBB is a waste of time IMO - and yes, I have both owned and used several including a WE SVD and SCAR-H. The performance is just not good enough, or consistent enough, or reliable enough for my needs....yep, it's a totally subjective opinion and I understand why GBB/EBB has adherents (The SVD in particularly kicked like a 5.56mm and was a great, visceral experience) but these days I want absolute precision and reliability. That raises the question of HPA but I can't stand that either.........again, I've tried it.

Then again, the MDR-X could suck - look at the AAF when they tried to cram a whole load of refinements/improvements into an AEG platform....:)
I live in a place where I don't have access to real rifles. To us a simulation via GBB is quite worth it, and personally AEGs are just far too boring for entertainment purposes (after all if I want pure stability or function I shouldn't have bothered with sniping at all LMAO).

Then again if you want stability, the Marui M4 MWS is unparalleled (highly accurate and very resistant to cold), and the WE G3A3 has been quite the treat where it's no-joke pinpoint accurate. I also run the WE P90 where while it has some issues it could be easily fixed and it's such a compact and stable gun it outguns AEGs no problem anyway.

WE SVD and SCAR-H are one of those poorly designed guns due to age (I have the SCAR-H and it is indeed inaccurate and has a few difficult problems) but using them as a yardstick to claim all GBBs are bad is not very fair

Reactions: Doctor Jest

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those two were just examples, I've owned more. The SVD is a finicky beast but it can be great when upgraded and stable........but generally the reason to own a GBB seems to be immersion with a touch of realism. The G3A3 (I am an H&K nut) has tempted me on several occasions but as we do get below freezing here, then I just want to pick up a replica and have it run as reliably as an AEG. Performance aside - and let's be honest, the main difference is kick rather than ROF, or FPS, or indeed, accuracy - I've had my fill of GBBs and am moving back to spring/electric and nothing else........

WITH that said....if I found a GBB that did what I required without HPA then I would about turn and buy one :)

· Registered
3,685 Posts
That's exciting, a ground up AEG would be pretty cool, especially from a company like Silverback who seem to take a long time making a good gun.
This may be like a modern PTW in some ways, which would be pretty cool.

As for GBBs, I have little experience besides an SSP1 I killed and some guns I have borrowed at games so I'm not really an expert, but they don't seem super awesome to me. Having eclipsed the cost on my SSX23 in magazines for it I see little excitement when thinking about needing to buy a whole loadout of $40-90 magazines that weigh an absolute ton, especially when you consider how delicate they are(having broken 2 MK23 mags beyond repair). GBB is definitely cool, but I think it's safe to say than anybody with a GBBR and a lick of sense also owns and brings a well functioning AEG or other primary in the medium likelihood that something goes wrong with the GBB.

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an aside, I got the mags for my SVD for £10 in a sale at a wholesaler where a friend had a trade account - and they were amazingly well built. In fact, the gun overall was a tank, I just couldn't iron out all the flaws to my satisfaction and keep the FPS at a reasonable level. It was, by far, the most fun I had shooting an airsoft replica.

I'm still waiting to see a price on the MDR-X but I'm willing to bet it's in the high hundreds with that level of manufacture and design.

· Registered
774 Posts
Well yeah if you routinely play in subzero then GBB is definitely not gonna work too well, even with CO2 it's still going to have some issues

For us the temperature rarely goes below that on a sunny day (especially because global warming is definitely real it never gets as cold as it was), though even if it's a windy one killing most of the heat the TM guns just goes as if there is no problem anyway

That's exciting, a ground up AEG would be pretty cool, especially from a company like Silverback who seem to take a long time making a good gun.
This may be like a modern PTW in some ways, which would be pretty cool.

As for GBBs, I have little experience besides an SSP1 I killed and some guns I have borrowed at games so I'm not really an expert, but they don't seem super awesome to me. Having eclipsed the cost on my SSX23 in magazines for it I see little excitement when thinking about needing to buy a whole loadout of $40-90 magazines that weigh an absolute ton, especially when you consider how delicate they are(having broken 2 MK23 mags beyond repair). GBB is definitely cool, but I think it's safe to say than anybody with a GBBR and a lick of sense also owns and brings a well functioning AEG or other primary in the medium likelihood that something goes wrong with the GBB.
Funny you mentioned that cause I am one of those guys who refused my friend's request/plead(?) to use an AEG with his explicit reason being to counter hosing with hosing (standard "the other guys uses AEG so we need AEG to have the same amount of BBs to out-firepower them", guy lugs 6 long Glock mags for this reason), of which I rejected and "I'm here to have fun and hosing people with AEGs isn't fun", and at some point I just go ham with a bolt action rifle in a CQB field because screw practical I'm here for fun:geek:

There's of course the reason that the GBBs I often use are just reliable enough anyway, as well as I either die before using up a single mag or the game ended without spending most of it I just don't bother lol

(There's also the reality that the other side aren't that good enough to have long drawn out battles, the best I did was 3-4 kills with a Modify PP2000 running on 3 short mags, and one of the mags were malfunctioning so I was limited to only about 40 rounds and still did the job well)

· Registered
473 Posts
I do believe Silverback put in considerable effort into it compared to other manufactures. However that thing looks as proprietary as a PTW and PTWs are out there for years.
Knowing how these things operate I'm sure files for upgrade are already on the way to upgrade parts manufactures and Gate should also have upgrade ETU on the way. But no matter what these things will chop bbs like rabbits chewing grass, paired with probably >500 retail price I can't see these being a good purchase. Just enlarge the cylinder diameter is not the way, it brings along way more problems than it solves.

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update. More features that are potentially amazing but I have no information as to their implementation.

Included in the box:
• 78 rounds AR10/SR25 type magazine (G&P / A&K Type)
• Two additional power spring (AEG & DMR Power limits)
• One semi auto only replacement trigger board (semi/ full auto trigger board installed out of the box).
• A pin puncher for easy battery change and disassembly
• 4 keys (Allen 2.5mm, Allen 5mm, Torx T20 and Torx T25).
• One high nub for the hop up unit, to lift bbs from 0.32 grams and above (low nub installed out of the box).
• One PCB jumper, used to switch from 11.1V to 7.4V batteries or deactivate battery protection.

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Further update: According to Longbow BB in the UK (Main stockists) changing the boards around is a matter of 6 screws. So....you can allegedly/potentially change from a field AEG to a DMR within a couple of minutes. Given the close proximity of UK limits for AEG to DMR I would, in all probability, stick to one tried and tested nub/rubber combination then simply vary the power.

I'm excited.

· Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Full specs. I'd probably change the barrel/rubber/nub but everything else (assuming it works as advertised!) looks great.

Realistic construction and assembly
  • Made under exclusive license from Desert Tech LLC
  • Fully engraved markings with unique serial number.
  • 6000 series aluminium receiver/outer barrel and muzzle brake.
  • PA6 Nylon, fiberglass reinforced stock, grip and handguard, synthetic rubber buttpad.
  • MLOK handguard, with 3 slots at 3, 6 and 9 o’clock.
  • 2 steel QD attachments at the rear of the stock.
  • Ambidextrous fire selector and 3 points magazine release.
  • Swappable realistic ejection panels.
  • Realistic motion ambidextrous cocking lever.

High quality Gearbox
  • Designed to operate on 11.1V Li-Po batteries (possibility to run on 7.4V)
  • Electronic trigger, CPU motor control, gear cycle and fire selector position detection by Hall Effect sensor.
  • CNC aluminium wide bore cylinder (26mm diameter, +19% wider than standard AEG), including a spring quick change design.
  • Useful volume 22.5 cc ( with stock ventilated 75% cylinder)
  • CNC aluminium cylinder head, NBR piston damper, stainless steel nozzle.
  • CNC aluminium ventilated piston head, FKM o-ring, POM glider ring.
  • CNC stainless steel & aluminium spring guide, equipped with a thrust bearing. 3 lugs design ensuring a better axial alignment.
  • “Tappet plate-less” construction.
  • CNC aluminium piston body, hardened MIM steel 16 teeth rack.
  • 18:1 torque up gear set, hardened MIM steel.
  • ADC 12 aluminium gearbox carter, 10mm ball bearing.
  • Neodymium high-torque motor 19000RPM (11.1V), short axis.

Efficient hop-up design
  • Hop-up unit made of durable Polycarbonate material.
  • TCD, rotary ring design.
  • Incremental “click” adjustments using 2 ball plungers, 36 positions ranging from 0 up to 750 µm with the low nub (installed, for standard bbs configuration), and from 500 up to 1250 µm with the high nub (provided, for heavy bbs configuration).
  • 420 mm brass inner barrel. 6.05 mm bore, chemical passivation surface treatment, AEG hop-up cut.

The MDRX is coming with:
  • 78 rounds AR10/SR25 type magazine (G&P / A&K Type)
  • Two additional power spring (*).
  • One semi auto only replacement trigger board (semi/ full auto trigger board installed out of the box) (**).
  • A pin puncher for easy battery change and disassembly
  • 4 keys (Allen 2.5mm, Allen 5mm, Torx T20 and Torx T25).
  • One high nub for the hop up unit, to lift bbs from 0.32 grams and above (low nub installed out of the box).
  • One PCB jumper, used to switch from 11.1V to 7.4V batteries or deactivate battery protection (***)

· Registered
35 Posts
Reading the manual, they sure made some interesting decisions with the battery storage - I'm not sure what ones you can actually fit in there...
16x16x190mm for square, 17.5x190mm for round batteries.

So Titan is right out, those are 18.6-19.5mm round. (and the 3s is 197mm long)

A Tenergy 1200mAh 3s is 15.5x20.5, so that wont fit.

The only battery I have that fits according to the manual is a Tenergy 2s 1200mAh, which is 15.6x13.5... but they specifically want you using 11.1s and you need to watch additional instructions to convert it to 7.4...

· Registered
3,685 Posts
Maybe they didn't give super precise measurements, or you may want to buy a wood rasp and get removing some plastic. Li-ions are probably the best battery for normal airsoft since they tend to be more forgiving with overdraining, along with being safer, so I'd definitely try to make a Titan fit.

I wonder how this would work on a 14.8, it'd be sick to have a super snappy 2.5J gun.

· Registered
140 Posts
I’m from Texas in the USA, so I’ll confess to never having not been around real guns. I’ve never felt the need to own a GBB, since anytime I want I can take the real thing out for a spin in the backyard. It’s a game changer when you can’t have the real version.

MDR looks extremely interesting. I must admit, by the looks of things, I want it. But, no way in heck I’m being a beta tester for something in the airsoft industry. People have tried similar things before, and having very little aftermarket support is recipe for a nightmare.

That being said, unless people try new things, we’ll never get beyond the limitations of the restrained platforms we use.

Personally, I doubt Titan batteries will even cycle that thing if it really does 2.48J. A while back I got to take a look at some test results for the actual discharge capabilities Titans have, and the answers are astounding. As I remember, the tested batteries didn’t exceed 5C. 15C is the average requirements for a regular stock AEG. This thing might need a bit more.

Here’s that link: Objective Battery Test

· Registered
35 Posts
Personally, I doubt Titan batteries will even cycle that thing if it really does 2.48J. A while back I got to take a look at some test results for the actual discharge capabilities Titans have, and the answers are astounding. As I remember, the tested batteries didn’t exceed 5C. 15C is the average requirements for a regular stock AEG. This thing might need a bit more.

Here’s that link: Objective Battery Test
The 6000mah 7.4v titan I have is appreciably snappier than the 1200mah 25-50c 7.4 tenergy (closer to the 11.1 tenergy of the same size I have), Titan did put different cells in since that test. I didn't even want the 11.1s on my or my partners guns as they would be too fast.

The 3,000 7.4 was a bit sluggish on her gun (13:1s, ZCI high tourqe neo, 1.5j ish with 25s), but unfortunately a 3,000 11.1 stick is the only Titan battery that would possibly work in the MDR. Perhaps with a brushless motor it would work... Won't know until someone tries it though!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts