Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
That combination of parts is incredibly responsive, I have to admit - it seems to manage any reasonable spring with aplomb. Even more staggering, I haven't yet seen the performance with a truly top-tier barrel and bucking setup so the potential is for a stunning, multi-role, one-stop-shop of an AEG. Blimey.....

· Registered
160 Posts
Looks like a super neat rifle! I’d honestly just really hope that the FPS consistency issue doesn’t lie with the cylinder/cylinder head design. It’s not horrible, but on the first two springs I noted a spread of 5 FPS (in between 392 and 402, for example), which will probably limit the stock effective range of the rifle, if indeed all of them are like this. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t be worried, as on most AEGs you can change and modify parts to work like you need, but if it‘s something with the design itself, that could be extremely hard to remedy. Obviously it could just be this one rifle, and it could be something other than the compression design, such as the hop rubber, but there’s no good way to tell without some testing.

…This is me being overly nitpicky guys, I’m not always determined to poop on every party…

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
5fps, in real terms, is nothing. Most end users aren't going to attempt to reduce the spread to 1fps and rightly so ☺ plus it won't affect accuracy or range to a noticeable extent.......if it were an issue there are several potential remedies.

· Registered
160 Posts
You’re definitely not wrong—most people literally won’t care or notice. However, I do believe that when we start talking about the DMR role of this rifle, nitpicks folks like us will start caring about a 2.5% FPS difference, since it‘s a heck of a lot more important past 75 yards. For example, over 75 yards a 2.5% slope amounts to 5.6 feet up or down. How the FPS actually relates to the rotational inertia imparted to the BB and how that actually relates to flight path variance, is unfortunately something I do not have any numbers for—the math is way over my head! I can speak from experience though and say that I’ve seen huge improvements in accuracy when the FPS is fine tuned. The inconsistent FPS OCD is probably mostly a me issue, but I just love getting my rifles to that near perfect consistency.

· Registered
3,721 Posts
Yeah, a lot of people in the firearms world don't care and they wonder why their groups suck, but usually the top tier reloaders aim for FPS consistency and their stuff works well. For pellet gunners, they're pretty serious about that and will do a shot string over a chrono over the whole pressure range of the cylinder to find the best area for FPS consistency.

I had a duplicate 6 times once on my VSR, and had a string of 3 recently on my new MK23, but I've yet to perfect my stuff to where I get duplicates and triplicates all the time. Eventually, but I need to figure all my stuff out and why things happen first, as I've been wandering blindly for the last 4-5 years with varying success.

· Registered
779 Posts
I would most likely take the hand guard off and then shorten the outer barrel. This would make is really short like the Tokyo Marui Hi Cycle Aug.
Though I know some people would hate that look but it is each to their own.
I mean since the MDRX has the Micron version such a super short form wouldn't be entirely out of the question, but unlike say a traditional layout a bullpup has its everything behind the grip, I wonder would that be superbly useful (since a bullpup's entire schtick is about having a long barrel while having a shorter form) as well as whenever if it's comfortable to use (since it's already hard to reach for the handguard as it is if other bullpups are of any indication)

Looks like a super neat rifle! I’d honestly just really hope that the FPS consistency issue doesn’t lie with the cylinder/cylinder head design. It’s not horrible, but on the first two springs I noted a spread of 5 FPS (in between 392 and 402, for example), which will probably limit the stock effective range of the rifle, if indeed all of them are like this. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t be worried, as on most AEGs you can change and modify parts to work like you need, but if it‘s something with the design itself, that could be extremely hard to remedy. Obviously it could just be this one rifle, and it could be something other than the compression design, such as the hop rubber, but there’s no good way to tell without some testing.

…This is me being overly nitpicky guys, I’m not always determined to poop on every party…
5FPS is what, 1.7m/s?
If it's not like consistently 1.7m/s difference but a warmup problem then it's probably not that bad

· Registered
16 Posts
[...]these days I want absolute precision and reliability. That raises the question of HPA but I can't stand that either.........again, I've tried it.
Sorry for the slight off-topic! This is probably something you already know about, but doesn't hurt to ask or suggest. What about small HPA tanks in stock or co2 cartridges in stock? Usually people hate the line, and I get that. With a tank in the stock though, you still get around 1k rounds, and changing the tank is pretty fast. No line, everything is carried within the gun. The co2 cartridges have less capacity, but are still perfectly fine for DMR-style play.

It's like having the benefits of HPA, but with the downsides being almost just gone.

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I had thought about it but one of my local sites literally doesn't allow HPA or CO2. I've known the owners for 20+ years and I've never asked: "why"........If it wasn't for that prohibition, I probably would consider one of the systems that are contained in the stock.

· Registered
16 Posts
Ah. Damn, that's such a shame. I've heard of multiple fields that have something similar. In at least a few of those cases that I know of, it seems to stem from not measuring the energy in joules that setups produce, but sticking with FPS. And that brings in a bunch of myths (and truths too) about joule creep.

I just read on Reddit how some dude plays on a field where every HPA setup has to play at 0.4J under the usual limits, because BBs from HPA guns just hit harder. Which obviously enough makes no sense, and they already measure in joules. So he's just "stuck" playing there, significantly underpowered compared to anyone else with non-HPA, because of some myth.

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
The guys who run the site also run a well-respected retailer in the UK and one of them is a great tech, so it's not related to Joules/FPS but, if I had to guess, to player behaviors in the past. I might just ask them when I see them next ^^

· Registered
160 Posts
It seems to be a common myth that HPA guns are both more accurate and shoot harder, regardless of what the barrel setup is or what the joules are. I recently walked up to a guy messing with his HPA DMR and asked what the range was. He replied with “farther than any gun anyone has on this field”, and I asked, ”Well, how far is that?”

When he said 80 yards I almost laughed out loud. Not that 80 yards is a small distance (if we’re talking about about effective range), but I know for a fact that at least two other players besides myself can place hits on targets that far on windless days, and the certainty of the proclamation surprised me. (he proceeded to not out range everyone else on the field)

61 - 80 of 112 Posts