Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

· Registered
3,721 Posts
I legit probably can outrange most people on the field, but that's when I go above .32g and arc my shots. Barely anybody uses anything above .28g, I asked like half the people one time. Not that I need to outrange everybody, but it's fun to make people think that they're getting team killed since they're not used to people they can't see.

· Registered
159 Posts
You see a fair amount of people at my field using weights above .30g, but most of those are extremely cheap .30s, and you can almost just write it off as an accuracy upgrade since they’re putting these in stock Lancers… and many don’t know how to adjust the hop units. You’d be shocked at how many people think the 15 yards of flight BBs with no hop get is actually normal for stock guns.

· Registered
16 Posts
Could suggest chronoing in joules and explain why it makes sense? Light little 0.2s at 400 FPS obviously isn't the same as a lead ball encased in plastic. The latter is able to carry more energy and transfer it upon impact.

· Registered
3,721 Posts
Well there's J or joules, and there's J/CM3, which is basically how densely the energy is dumped, or sort of how much the impact will hurt. Heavier BBs at the same joules will have a higher J/CM3, and therefore hurt more, plus their improved ballistic coefficient which lets them not lose as much energy due to wind resistance, which also makes them hurt more.

Joule creep is pretty much just your gun being more optimized for a heavier BB than a lighter one, so for example you'll shoot a .20g at 2J and a .48g will then shoot 3J. It doesn't really matter in the technical side of things, as that means you should be using that more optimal BB, or you should change that so a lighter BB is more optimal, depending on the situation. Joule creep only really matters when a field chronos in FPS or with a light BB like .30g, and then when people switch to the BBs they play with, and gain a good bit of power which will then hurt a lot more. This is especially important with HPA guns, gas guns, and some spring snipers, as you are much more likely to see significant joule creep in them.
Not that big of a deal, but you should know what you are dealing with as to not hurt somebody or get banned from the field.

· Registered
159 Posts
I haven’t played in a while, but it’s actually on my list to talk to the field owner about. I was mostly joking about “cheating”, but there are a couple of HPA folks that I‘m pretty sure are gaining some joules, whether intentionally or not. Tbh I’m probably one of two or three players who actually knows what joule creep is. The field owner and some of the staff were having a conversation about it and none of them really knew what it was. (It is kinda mystical until you understand :p)

· Registered
3,721 Posts
Yeah, might be good, but unless it's actually been an issue, I'd probably not do that.

My field chronos all HPA guns with .40g BBs, which sucks if you're using anything lighter than that as you will have a lower power than everybody else. Not sure if there was any big event that caused it, but your field may implement something like that that sucks a lot. Even if a field chronos in .40g, you can just crank your hop to a different setting, put a rubber or cloth power reducer in your suppressor, or any number of things, so it's really only a pain to the people who don't cheat chrono.

· Registered
159 Posts
I actually believe that most of the folks aren’t trying to cheat chrono (if they truly are), and my attempt would mainly be meant to raise awareness that it is possible to raise your energy through JC, and that it especially happens with HPA guns. I’m not an HPA expert by any means, and I might be crazy here, but what let me on to the joule creep that might be going on, is one player’s polarstar. He’s a good honest player, so no blame on him, but the thing has tons of barrel pop firing .30s out of a 450mm inner, which leads me to believe it’s way overvolumed and getting JC. That, and the fact that a shot fractured my finger at 10 meters.

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
The sooner that EVERY field chronos in joules, and with the ammo, the player intends to use, the better. The fact that they don't is normally down to their insurance not displaying a deeper understanding of physics than the site owner does....

· Registered
38 Posts
So these are in stock at Amped Airsoft for the US folks by the way, black and 2 tone, tan is sold out. $600.

Partner forbade me from buying one till we get out and play more... Fair play as I haven't even built my m4 aeg yet! (Or finished hers...)

· Registered
14 Posts
I actually had a tan one from amped in my cart yesterday and I hesitated on pulling the trigger and it looks like they're all gone. I really am not comfortable forking over that kind of money for a completely unproven system, and I think it's best that I wait for some more reviews to come out. Airsoft CamMan posted a social post yesterday saying his initial impressions are "Meh". I would like to know more about what made his reaction be so unenthused.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts