Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on european start-up venture developing compact, weapon mountable, Laser rangefinder equipped ballistic calculator for long range shooting.

I am posting here to get some feedback to our concept. We are interested in the utility of such device, the acceptable price range for such product, operational distance requirements, accuracy requirements, target size requirements. Which would be the key features that the shooter would need from such device? Which user interfaces are preferred? All feedback, comments, ideas and recommendations are welcome

The idea is to combine the benefits of the laser rangefinder, the ballistic calculator and weather sensors into one compact device that could be mounted directly to weapon.

The device would have relatively small, overall dimensions approx. 35x70x150mm (1.18x2.75x5.90in). The device could be mounted on the weapon by using picatinny/weaver rail and or by custom mount. The device would consist of the laser rangefinder module capable measuring distances up to 1500m (1650 yards) and embedded microcontroller based ballistic calculator, display and keypad. The device would display the measured distance and horizontal and vertical corrections (clicks/MOA/MRAD/in/cm) based on the weather data and ballistic information of current round.

· Registered
4,152 Posts
Hi,

You are aware that you're posting this to an airsoft sniper forum? We shoot tiny plastic pellets generally weighin about 6 grains with energy levels below two foot-pounds. Engagement distances are rarely beyond 100 yards, which is also the effective range and close to the maximum range :hehe:

I think we would have very different requirements than the average long range shooter :hehe:

· Registered
249 Posts
Yes, this is an airsoft forum (wrong place buddy), but I don't mind talking about this because I enjoy shooting guns once in a while.

A big factor will be reliability. Yes all the factors you've listed are must-haves or the product will be crap. I know going long ranged shooting can be a hassle somewhat new players especially when out to 700m+ but I feel the price of this will be quite steep and shooters might shy away from it.

Will this product automatically calculate all the factors and spit back the ballistic coordinates? If so, I am conflicted to how it will calculate wind. If this is going to weapon mountable, half the of wind measuring will be blocked by the rifle. And how will it measure the wind 500m if it will be automatic. Another issue I see with that - if still weapon mounted - is the temperature feature. After hours of shooting, the receiver can get quite warm so won't that be an issue?

Now if you plan on going the manual route, I'd say you have a very slim chance of people buying your product. First of all, it will be expensive because of the tons of features you plan on having. Secondly, the function of it will be no different compared to the products already on the market, just altogether in a box. There are already cell phone sized ballistic calculators on the market - Samsung Notebook size.

Since you want a laser rangefinder included in this exclusive long range shooter package, I don't think the you will get the desired dimensions. Rangefinders on the market are about the same size you propose and can only measure accurately to 900 yds. If you want that 1500 yds+, you're going to need better material, bigger dimensions, and heftier price tag. And if this product is going to mounted on the rail, the size may conflict with ease of use.

All in all, I think you have a good idea, but until you have a final draft set, I am not in favor of this product.

· Registered
73 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.