Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two part question.

What do you carry as a secondary weapon? Pistol? Sub machinegun? SBR?

How do you deploy it?

Do you keep your long gun in a drag bag or slung to your back while patroling between hides? With your secondary shouldered? Do you carry your sniper rifle with the secondary slung or holstered?

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's totally situation dependant for most of us who have been doing it a while.

The majority of us is Sniper rifle with a pistol on the hip.

Drag bags are a pain in the ass so dont bother with them

Some guys carry sub guns for patroling with the sniper rifle slung. Two full size long guns is a real hassle

I keep my sniper rifle in my hand, draw my and pistol sling my rifle when I think im getting in to close to an area that could get harry up close and personal like. For really long ops or long range recon missions I throw a Honey Badger split in two pieces in my back pack with a few mags just in case im stuck behind the line and have to fight my way out.

Remember the less crap you got, the faster you are and speed, moblity and keeping a low profile is your friend in our line of gaming. If patrolling , let the squad protect you and you support them. If alone stay light. If alone and out long, stay as light as you can but pack a small back up if you feel the need and are going deep.

If your main mission is squad style work and assaulting, you may be better of with a DMR for that mission. It's good to always have one in the car just for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back in the day, i carried a classic army M4. And I had a DIY rifle carrier for my Tanaka M700 on my ruck. Kinda like the Kifaru one, but it stayed on my back. It locked into the molle webbing on the side of the ruck. It worked great for milsim Ops. But it wasnt quick to get to my long gun. But we usually rucked into a hide and stayed put, and deployed it there.

I watch youtube now and it seems the guys like Nov and Silo are constantly juggling a rifle and a pistol. Leaning the long gun up against a tree and such. Little different now. They run and gun with em.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I find SMGs to be way too cumbersome, so I prefer to keep it small and tight with just a small handgun (WE Makarov) with 2 extra mags on my hip. When I got to get into CQB, I'll slung my SVD with a biathlon style sling (i.e. backpack-like)

If the field / mission requires high volume of fire at short distances, I rather leave my sniper at home and go with an AK.

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
What ArcAngel said, all depends on the situation.

For regular games, its mostly whatever primary I chose is and my mk23. Usually its my VSR, but I also use my AK, SVU, SVD, and my P* M4 regularly. (If you see me running, I am putting in way too much work. More then likely I am carrying my team.)

If I am at a milsim, then I will pack an AR with me of some flavor. Either in a eberlestock pack with a scabbard, or with a sling like the Irene or M2P. Most of the time its on the M2P. Though I have been playing with some kydex lately and made a Serpa style holster for pistol M4s. Not working quite as intended, but better then other solutions I have tried.

Reactions: NorsemanSDD

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
As I get more and more into long range AEG's, the sidearm has become a backup in case the primary fails. That said, I've gone days without firing the sidearm and sometimes I do just for giggles to see if it still works. Since the EBR and BAR builds, the L96 collects dust for the most part.

Although the AEG's don't quite have the reach of that L96, there's something to be said for long range full auto fire. hehehehe. The pistol I carry is an 8" revolver loaded with shot shells. It's still packs a wallop. Decent range and 18 BB's instead of six. Think of it like a semi auto shotgun...with better range, and alot less weight.

When I do decide to go recon (more spying, less shooting) I still pack the L96 and go hunting for targets of opportunity or just go and be a general nuisance disrupting stuff...then sneak away.

I do also have a 1911 and a Prowler semi auto which is r hopped, so that little pistol is a real beast! It has the range of most AEG's and fits in a pocket.

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
I like the pack, just not the one I have. I bought mine used, and it was... well loved to put it mildly. Its pretty ragged out.

The kydex is big, but not as bad as it sounds. It also helps that I dont use optics on my ARs. Helps cuts down on the weight and I dont have to accommodate it on the kydex.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the pack, just not the one I have. I bought mine used, and it was... well loved to put it mildly. Its pretty ragged out.

The kydex is big, but not as bad as it sounds. It also helps that I dont use optics on my ARs. Helps cuts down on the weight and I dont have to accommodate it on the kydex.
Does the kydex holster go on your hip? Or a drop leg?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I get more and more into long range AEG's, the sidearm has become a backup in case the primary fails. That said, I've gone days without firing the sidearm and sometimes I do just for giggles to see if it still works. Since the EBR and BAR builds, the L96 collects dust for the most part.

Although the AEG's don't quite have the reach of that L96, there's something to be said for long range full auto fire. hehehehe. The pistol I carry is an 8" revolver loaded with shot shells. It's still packs a wallop. Decent range and 18 BB's instead of six. Think of it like a semi auto shotgun...with better range, and alot less weight.

When I do decide to go recon (more spying, less shooting) I still pack the L96 and go hunting for targets of opportunity or just go and be a general nuisance disrupting stuff...then sneak away.

I do also have a 1911 and a Prowler semi auto which is r hopped, so that little pistol is a real beast! It has the range of most AEG's and fits in a pocket.
Im actually looking at a GHK GBBR SBR AR. I dont care about full auto. And Im suffering from vertigo so shooting my real M4 is out. So to stay occupied Ive been playing around with airsoft or working on my real steel. AEG's just do not excite me anymore. Neither does my wolverine hpa. But gas blowback still puts a smile on my face.... its just the price! Ugh! And gas mags! Ugh!

I'd run this as a patrol rifle with a silencer (10.5).

https://www.evike.com/products/78562/

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find SMGs to be way too cumbersome, so I prefer to keep it small and tight with just a small handgun (WE Makarov) with 2 extra mags on my hip. When I got to get into CQB, I'll slung my SVD with a biathlon style sling (i.e. backpack-like)

If the field / mission requires high volume of fire at short distances, I rather leave my sniper at home and go with an AK.
You are full on Ruskie!!! Are you a Rushing Russian?

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
Neither, its on my back. Half stuffed behind my smersh foodstuff bag. Its really funny when I show up all 'Merican loaded and I am using a russian smersh for my kit.

Reactions: NorsemanSDD

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Neither, its on my back. Half stuffed behind my smersh foodstuff bag. Its really funny when I show up all 'Merican loaded and I am using a russian smersh for my kit.
Your Rusican!

So your deploying it when you get to your hide. And your packing your long gun in your hands?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Im actually looking at a GHK GBBR SBR AR. I dont care about full auto. And Im suffering from vertigo so shooting my real M4 is out. So to stay occupied Ive been playing around with airsoft or working on my real steel. AEG's just do not excite me anymore. Neither does my wolverine hpa. But gas blowback still puts a smile on my face.... its just the price! Ugh! And gas mags! Ugh!

I'd run this as a patrol rifle with a silencer (10.5).

https://www.evike.com/products/78562/
Well that's a pretty sexy looking rig! I absolutely love the whole concept of GBB, except that most of the time it's just cool enough here that they just don't perform. Same reason why I use CO2 pistols instead of green gas. It's just getting to the edge of too cold to work right in the evening hours. Spring guns, AEG's, CO2 pistols...better. Much better.

I always seem to be able to squeeze a little something more out of the next AEG build. I'll finish one and think how I could possibly make this any better, then I get planning again right away!! hahahaha....and they get better.

So far this winter I'm building a Combat Machine and an AUG...should be fun!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well that's a pretty sexy looking rig! I absolutely love the whole concept of GBB, except that most of the time it's just cool enough here that they just don't perform. Same reason why I use CO2 pistols instead of green gas. It's just getting to the edge of too cold to work right in the evening hours. Spring guns, AEG's, CO2 pistols...better. Much better.

I always seem to be able to squeeze a little something more out of the next AEG build. I'll finish one and think how I could possibly make this any better, then I get planning again right away!! hahahaha....and they get better.

So far this winter I'm building a Combat Machine and an AUG...should be fun!
That GHK has C02 mags available for it!

And its very cold here too in the Selkirks, with snow up to your chin. So what I like to do is keep my mags in pockets with hand warmers and tape one to the mag in use. Even CO2 isnt as cold resistant as HPA. I learned that from my paintball days in the early 90's. But its better than propane. Even our AEGs the batteries would die faster and some guys would crack gear boxes.

We use to transfer people up to a old abandoned USAF base on snowmobiles and camp out over night. That was fun!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts