Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what’s up. I’m looking for some ops to attend in the next few months. Came across one and it appears that the sniper rifle and dmr class have the SAME chrono limits @ 2.3j measured with .32. I think that’s dumb af, what do you think??

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think that’s pretty silly, but I also think there should be some revamp as to how many fields operate
Pistol and SAW – 1.0J
AEG (semi or burst only) – 1.5J
DMR – 2.3J
BASR – 2.9J

I think part of the problem is you could have HPA engines in BASR now, that’s why they drop their limit down?

However if they were to do that…I would say you need to lower DMR and AEG respectfully

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am guilty of having a straight pull hpa sniper rifle. Faster follow up shots are nice when you play at fields with huge crowds of full auto, high rof enemies. Still though, reloading after EVERY shot doesn't keep up with fast semi trigger spamming. So I like the range advantage of a sniper rifle. I’m also curious if anyone blows the money on .48s for their semi auto replicas!!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
In that scenario you should use your tommy if you can only use .32g and that power, but if you're allowed heavier than that then also use the tommy with up to .45g.

I've run .48g at 2J in my DMR and it performs great, but the performance difference between that and .36g is not worth double or triple the cost.
I did that once and blew like $30 of ammo without much shooting, while with a sniper its like $5.

Imo joule levels should be like so
Sniper : 4J
DMR : 3J
Rifle : 1.88J
LMG : 1.88
SMG/pistol : 1.2J

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don’t know if I come off weird or cheap…but I do take bb cost into account.

Running .32 BLS Bio BB, my current stash priced out at just over .5 cent each shot… with .45 It would be 2.5 cent. That adds up fast. Currently I use about 1500 to 2000 BBs during a game day. So upwards of $10 in bbs. I can’t justify using $40-50 dollars worth of BBs…and then 30 dollars for field entry. 80 dollar a day is too rich for my blood.

As an aside, I sometimes lazer beam out and let people run into my spray line because of the "long travel time" for .32. .48 would require me to compensate even more. At some point people would be able to matrix dodge my bbs. I think .28 to .32 is the sweet spot for AEG.

I actually think 4J is too dangerous - while I’ve heard of some fields on the west coast doing it, I’ve witness too many close range mishaps on my local field to know that’s going to result in someone getting hurt. Enough people at my fields don't have trigger safety or don't have situation awareness and would run past teammates line of fire. I've seen snipers tag teammate below 20 feet...

I rather be deny access to 4J BASR so that I don't run the risk of getting tagged with one at close range

Reactions: Blind Sniper

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think that’s dumb af, what do you think??
In short: Yes. You "kill" the variety and diversity of the game. You make the game "smaller", boring, much more less interesting etc...
Consider this: What you want to do? Do you want to play as realistic simulation of combat-engagements as it can be? Or not and just shoot bbs, running, having only fun, fooling around, not care about winning?

Airsoft games & players must maintain each's weapon class advantages/disadvantages and not trying to overlap weapons characteristics. Should not try to decrease the performance differences (fps-energy) between bolt actions / DMR's / Assault rifles by increasing fps of assault rifles only.
They must be distinctive separation in each weapon performance. If not, then there will be no reason to buy and build a bolt action rifle when an assault rifle shoots almost at same fps/range.

Also must be ammunitions, min engagement distance, restrictions too.
Bolt action rifles: 550ft/s / 0.30gr-0.50gr / 30m
DMRs: 450fps / 0.30gr-0.40gr / 15m-20m
Assault Rifles: 350fps / 0.20gr-0.30gr / 10m
Pistols: 300fps / 0.20gr-0.30gr / 5m

·
Registered
763 Posts
At that point, it really only comes down to how good of a tech someone is. A top of the line DMR MIGHT perform as well as a top of the line BASR, but it will take 100x more work to get there.

As for the other limits, LMGs should definitely be higher than pistols and short range weapons. If the purpose of Joule Limits is to more accurately simulate RS weapons, it must be taken into account that LMGs are designed to suppress enemy movement over DISTANCE (several 100 meters). I think when I was at Ballahack, they had a higher fps than basic riflemen but lower than DMRs.... Seems like the happy medium to me.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Crius most of the time I just care about shooting the enemies and testing out my upgraded Airsoft guns. Bigger ops I will assist in objectives with my friends. But I don’t think airsoft should ever be super competitive. You may have winners and losers but it’s about having fun, not about taking a trophy home. I think it’s fun trying to use a single shot with a slight range advantage, and even though you risk getting lit up when the enemy gets close to you; I think that’s fun too.

I don’t think it’s common for a lot of dmr guys to run .48s but to those that do, props to them. Because as mentioned it can take a lot of work and costs more lol.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussions like this is why I appreciate speedqb more and more. No such thing as "I shoot a bolty I need more power than you", "this field has shitty class divisions" etc, just run and gun, good exercise and easily regulated. Good AEG will mortar shot a basr range easy and accuracy through volume. Don't like what you're allowed to do? Switch class or switch fields. Running out of fields to choose? Maybe it's time to adapt to the new trend. It's not the extra 0,5J difference that's gonna save you anyway, my country is 1,3J flat for everything, snipers will just have to hide better and I'll be running with a pistol and we still have fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my opinion it's not a question of limits but of playstyle. All the same limit? That"s a nice challenge with an mk23 or a basr. But right now I enjoy my shotgun with 0.7J to ambush aeg"s. So in the end, it's all a personal preference.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That IS dumb as hell. All the best fields I played at had something like this (all outdoor mind you):

Semi auto pistol up to 350FPS, 10 foot engagement
Full auto up to 400FPS, 30 foot minimum engagement
Semi-auto DMR up to 450FPS, 50 foot minimum engagement
BASR up to 550 FPS, 100 foot minimum engagement.

Having a field set up like that allows for a huge variety of playstyles that keeps it dynamic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m going to have fun and adapt to whatever the field rules are. We just moved from a state where all of the field limits around were like above, and joule creeping a basr was fine as long as you could back off the hop and get it under 550 fps with .20g bbs at the chrono station it didn’t matter how hot you were cooking .48g bbs out on the field with the hopup cranked. So I tuned up my build for max range and played accordingly.
Now that I have relocated to an area where the local fields seem to discourage my former playstyle (because of rules and because the venues just aren’t as big here as they were in texas) I’ve retuned and dialed in a more accurate setup to field so I don’t have to rely on outranging everyone else.
I guess for me a big part of the fun is the building for specific applications. Instead of getting bummed that I had to change my recipe, I was pumped that I got to try some new flavors out. Same goes for play style too, I had fun being rangy. Now I get to work on other aspects of my game.
All of that said, I think that a game is more dynamic and immersive if there is some separation between the roles via intelligent delineation of class roles. That seems sensible. Otherwise the game devolves into all speedball matches like paintball did, and that’s why I quit playing that game years ago. When it gets to be more about volume/rof than anything it sort of takes the fun out of it for me.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Having a single power limit sounds pretty bad unless you're doing indoor or very close quarters stuff exclusively, which in the real world is only really for short rifles, SMGs, pistols, and similar things which are the best if you want to have the biggest advantage.
In real life you're pretty much limited to 300 feet with all that for reference.

Outdoor is where it gets interesting as HMGs, SPRs, DMRs, snipers, LMGs, RECCE, assault, SMG, PDW, and pistol levels all have their pros and cons, in the real world that is.
For airsoft it sort of makes sense to recreate this as that's how is functions quite well in real life and video games, and not even shooting games, any game really.
Indoor on the other hand puts everything at about equal to an extent, excluding shotguns and full auto, as you won't get a real benefit from 5J and 450m range when shooting somebody at 15m.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like to look at why sniping in enjoyable. Is it the teching aspect? That can be applied to any platform. Is it the satisfaction of the single shot hits on the enemy when you’re up against faster fire power? It would be more impressive if you’re on the same outputs and can still get a bunch of kills. But I look at each airsoft class as having perks. With an airsoft gun, 100fps isn’t even that much of an advantage, since you don’t gain hundreds of extra feet. But it’s something. Once you start to make things equal, you lose the perks of each class. That’s fine, cqb and indoor may be more your style. If you COMPLETELY level out the playing field you may as well be in a group of rentals with the same rental guns and bbs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you COMPLETELY level out the playing field you may as well be in a group of rentals with the same rental guns and bbs.
Right on, this is basically what I mean. I’m just going to “yes and” off of what you said here.
If there isn’t some separation between roles then a majority of players will gravitate towards the dominant recipe for superiority on the field. I’ve seen it happen time and time again in video games and as I mentioned before with paintball.
Sure, there’s always going to be people who want to play as a sniper, machine gunner, etc, but on the field you’re going to have to wade through a sea of bbs to find them. Haha
My position is more from the longevity of the hobby as it is. I know it’s always going to evolve and change over time, but I’d hope that we actually learn from history and not go down the road of nerfing everything into the same little boxes.
Bottom line: a bad day playing airsoft is better than a great day at the office. Haha so I’m not complaining either way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts