Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry, messed up on the title, it's actually the M99.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and I figured that I might as well start with something big. I probably getting the Snow Wolf Barrett M99, and stock I heard it was good, but I'm planing on upgrading it; big time. I will probably end up spending around $300 for the gun, and then I have a budget around $200 for upgrades for the moment, not counting future spendings. What upgrades for the budget do you suggest to help the M99 be the hardest hitting, most accurate, and farthest shooting AEG on the field? Which ones should I start off with, and where can I get them?

·
Registered
856 Posts
The SW M99 is a spring powered rifle, not an AEG. are you planning on turning it into a AEG? if so that will get expensive. also please make an intro post. If you don't know what it is then refer to the forum rules for guidance. looks like a good idea and build Good luck.

Edit: Well thanks to coriander I now know that SW makes a AEG M107/M99 and a Spring M99. well looks like a good build.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Ohh wow, I didn't think they made a AEG M99. Well disregard my previous post.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yeah, it seems like snow wolf confused the names when labeling them both the m99.

The real steel m99 is a bulpup .50 cal single shot, so the airsoft version is spring bolt action.
The real steel m82 is a "traditional" style rifle with a large magazine. It's semi auto so the airsoft snow wolf version is an aeg.

I think you're getting the one based on the m82 right?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I considered getting the AEG version for a P* conversion about a year ago. I've held, shot and surficially disected a stock one.

Internally, it sounds like a neat way to go. V2 gearbox everything (including hopup) stuffed inside a .50 cal body. The parts for upgrading are common and would follow a standard DMR build. $200 will put a quality barrel, hopup and bucking in to it with room to spare . . . which is where you will gain much of your initial DMR performance from.

Now some food for thought. The gun weighs 16 lbs (that's 2lbs more than a M249) and is nearly 5ft long. It has no range advantage compared to any other AEG platform that can be built in to a DMR but is twice the weight and ~1.5ft longer. Aestetics are great but at some point practicality kicks in too.

Make sure you really, really, really want to deal with the weight and length before sinking $500+ in to the rifle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Corriander. I do still want this gun, and below are the starting upgrades I'm looking at. They are all on AirsoftGI.

Gearbox: Lonex 8mm Enhanced Bearing Gear Box Ver.2 for M16 Series
Gear Set: Lancer Tactical 100:300 Ultra High Torque Gear Set OEM By SHS
Barrel: Lonex Enhanced Steel Inner Barrel for AEG (650mm)
Spring: AMP 160 High Performance AEG Spring
Cylinder Head: Lonex Aluminum AEG Cylinder Head for Ver.2
Cylinder: Lonex AEG Cylinder for MARUI M4 A1/SR16 Series
Spring Guide: Magic Box Ultra Smooth Version 2 Aluminum Ball Bearing Spring Guide

Total: $179.96

·
Registered
492 Posts
Looks pretty decent so far, still needs a new bucking and piston which should probably be full metal toothed. When you get the funds I'd get a new motor; I recommend lonex A1 or A2.

I'm not sure if the full cyliner can use a 650mm barrel though, I think the full v2 cylinder ratio maxes out at less than that. You might need either a bore up kit or a shorter barrel or both.

If you do end up building this thing please post it, I love 50 cal builds.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You need to focus on your inner barrel, hopup and bucking before you worry about the gearbox internals. The gearbox only produces the air burst, those parts are what provide the accuracy.

Once you have that portion down, then worry about the gearbox. Start with the top end - nozzle, cylinder head, cylinder, piston head and piston (with all metal teeth). Use it for a bit and see how performance is affected. If you need to go with a M140+ spring, strengthen the rest.

If you change the gearbox shell and are going with a M140+ spring, stay away from bearings. Bearings do not have the durability/stress tolerance of bushings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Looks pretty decent so far, still needs a new bucking and piston which should probably be full metal toothed. When you get the funds I'd get a new motor; I recommend lonex A1 or A2.

I'm not sure if the full cyliner can use a 650mm barrel though, I think the full v2 cylinder ratio maxes out at less than that. You might need either a bore up kit or a shorter barrel or both.

If you do end up building this thing please post it, I love 50 cal builds.
Sure thing, I'll comment on this post once I start.

Also, the M107 is a V2, and I believe it comes with an M4 cylinder. It already has a pre-installed 650mm barrel, so I think it would be fine. Am I correct, Corriander?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey I haven't built any DMR's and I don't have nearly as much experience with AEG's as some the other people helping you out already so I'll leave the technical stuff to them. But I wanted to let you know before you buy your parts from AirsoftGI to take a look on Clandestine Airsoft. They have really good prices on their parts and can save you a heap of money.

Just so know, I don't work for Clandestine and I do not get any support from them in any way,, I am just trying to help you save some of your hard earned cash.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I run a standard bore cylinder on a 650mm 6.01 tbb laped/polished/waxed Angel in my L86 DMR. With a M120 spring and LRB mod, 250ft+ (according to field shot distances measured on Google Earth) is targetable range with a 0.30g.

I don't recommend the Angel barrel though. I had to do more work than it was worth to get any significant performance out of it.

I considered putting in a bore up cylinder in but will likely leave it as is since the L86 has been reassigned as a LMG in my arsenal with a P* taking over the DMR role.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is the most important piece of advice you will receive on this thread regarding your M82 purchase: Get the CQB one. The full length one is so cumbersome to move around with. The CQB is still slightly longer than a L96 and has the same length barrel. Moving through the bush with the full length is just awful. It snags everything and just gets in your way. Running is difficult also. I sold my full length one because of this. I promise you, unless you are seven foot tall you will regret buying the full length one. The CQB is still PLENTY of rifle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
after my own heart

i just saw this thread and had to post. If I do say so myself, ive made my SW m82 into a beast of a DMR/sniper AEG. ill post a few pics, one is before i upgraded it internally when i just threw a bunch of it attachments on it instead cus I was a codsofter. another few from after i realized having a bunch of junk on your weapon dosen't help you be a sniper, so i did what I had to to change it from an AEG to a sniper. let me know if you want more details about what I did or what parts I used or anything. I would loove to help haha. how does the modified version look by the way? Is it alright or weird? i have a few tiny cosmetic details to do still but its mostly done.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.