Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying this and upgrding the hell out the internals since it's basically a aps 2 with a shell. Any suggestions? I was also thinking getting the RS SVD but I was afraid I wouldn't have enough money for upgrades since the gun and scope are REALLLLLLY expensive.

·
Registered
909 Posts
No fear factor when you're sitting in the parking lot exhausted as hell. Seriously though, you couldn't pay me to carry that thing around in the summer.

The M99 has a lot of problems, but they can be fixable. I would still go with the RS SVD though if those are your only two choices. Of course there are tons of other rifles that can be made better than both for a cheaper price, but I guess you want a unique rifle?

EDIT: woogie beat me to it; I definitely agree with him.

·
Administrator
6,201 Posts
None is unique these days...!
RS SVD is a great gun right out of the box but it also has it's issues and you can't really do much to improve it.
I've never owned or held the M99 but I do own the SG M82 and it's a big and heavy beast, I've skirmished with it in it's stock form (360fps w/ .20g)!! It's not an easy task but doable and I've done it 3 time so far, I'm not a big guy or a bodybuilder (1.75m height, 78kg) and I handle it fine.

I'm upgrading it and I plane to use in regular base, I love this thing!! You can't mix it with anything else... Many people thing I own the A&K SVD w/ wood kit instead of the RS!

Go with what you like most but think wisely...

Wolf

·
Registered
109 Posts
My long-range hunting rifle is 21 lbs. So I would'nt be afraid to lug the M99 around. Mine was decent stock, (mailbox at 200 feet most of the time) For a project gun, Im really happy with it, question though; Am I wrong or is the bolt-to-cylinder interface different on it than APS-2?

I'll personally stay away from that Dragunov though, last thing I need to happen is take my Tigr hunting and realize 7.62 turned into 6mm and isnt as loud as it ought to be.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My long-range hunting rifle is 21 lbs. So I would'nt be afraid to lug the M99 around. Mine was decent stock, (mailbox at 200 feet most of the time) For a project gun, Im really happy with it, question though; Am I wrong or is the bolt-to-cylinder interface different on it than APS-2?
I think you're right. I saw a video of a guy running a 210sp in his rifle and the bolt ripped off of the cylinder. His gun is now ruined, so I wouldn't run it too high if I were you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That would be MikeandWendy74, Ive been talking with him for a while, Im converting the stock bolt handle to fit a Type 96 bolt cylinder. I was just asking because I wasnt sure if I bought or recieved the wrong cylinder. What happend was, the back of the cylinder is just press fit/crimped on, and the spring blew the back out of his cylinder after a few hundred shots. Making the bolt handle and cylinder compatible shouldnt be that hard, just time consuming file work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a plan, the alignment stubs or whatever you choose to call them on the bolt handle have to be completely ground off. Then new ones must be made, pinned in place since the handle piece is aluminum, and then filed to fit the cylinder, after that drilling it to reposition the detent pins and your golden. It would probably be faster to machine a new bolt handle, but I dont have a milling machine, or lathe, and even then I dont think it would be any easier. I dont regret buying it though, Its a fun project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.