Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and they toss in this scene which pits a sniper on sniper... and the insurgent ruled with what looked like an SVD variant.

Granted, the good guys on the Barrett 50cal were not seasoned snipers, but come on, they were missing shots that were 10ft low or 15ft left... yet they could hit a guy on the run.

I liked the scene, it was tense and long, and our team won...one of the best sequences of the movie in my book. Has anyone seen this movie yet? If not, sorry for the spoiler, but it is still worth a look see just for that 20-minute scene.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
This is a great action movie ...... but ......

THIS MOVIE SUCKS MAJOR DONKEY BALLS!!!!

Sorry had to get that out of my system.

The year that I was deployed to Iraq, my unit was tasked with route clearance. Being as we wrote the book ok it the first time we were over seas. This deployment was a really easy one.

Our main mission was to drive the roads and find the IED's that these douche bags would plant, and try to kill us and the civilian populous. On a normal mission EOD would travel in our convoy and sit back and wait for us to give them the go ahead.

Now when you watch the movie you see them walking down the road, pulling random things out of the ground, waiving at people, and walking off base to do what ever they want. Ummmm.... yeah not going to happen!!

When people are sitting there watching you, and pulling out a camera to record you.... HELL NO!!! That prick would have had 30 rounds of a 50 cal coming at him in no time. And all his little buddies would be swiss cheese as well.

And then there is the VBID, vehicle born IED. Yeah there is no way any EOD tech would get close to those damn things! There is no way he is going to go in and try to disarm it. They would plant a charge and blow the hell out of it.

Same with the guy that was strapped with the IED. Sorry buddy but nobody is going to get close to him. The guy is going to, sadly, get shot. Then and only then would someone go out and take a look at what was strapped to him. And that would only be after they knew that nobody was around to set the damn thing off.

I am sorry, but after actually doing the things that they are showing in the movie, and working with both EOD as well as Private Contractors, or mercs what ever you want to call them.

I really hate movies like this, that try to make something that is a serious issue, and a very dangerous job. And make it look like it is nothing. I am sorry, but there is no way a person like that is ever going to stay alive for long if they acted like that. And I look at it as a slap in the face, to what we did for a year, and a slap in the face to any military person that has been deployed. As there isn't anyone that would act like that when not only their life, but the guy next to them is depending on them.

This movie should only be looked at as an action movie, and nothing more.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...but the sniper scene was ok...right?

I agree, my son and I thought the movie kind of blew. I feel that Avatar should have taken best picture to boot. Needless to say, the movie was a disappointment.

But I kinda liked the novice snipers trying to fend off the insurgent snipers...it was a long scene.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Hurt Locker was without a doubt my favorite movie of last year.

Yes, it lacked realism in some spots, but It had really good character development and an awesome storyline.

C'mon guys, i'ts not like Blackhawk Down was realistic either

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Blackhawk down was as close to true as they could get. I have met a few of the guys that took part in it.

A teacher from my high school, her husband was one of the guys that went in after the HVT. Now not every movie is a spot on movie. But BHD was fairly close.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
In my opinion:

I feel that Generation Kill is the closest thing to the USMC. Having shot both the SASR (Semi Automatic Sniper Rifle... 50 Cal) and the Draganov 7.62, I honestly think they can both be finely tuned weapons of chaos. In my experience in talking to people who have had to first hand deal with both Iraqi and Afghani snipers they will tell you that they're not to be taken lightly. However you get a few bozo's here or there that can't hit the side of a shed, but some of them are quite good.

Anyways, just like all movies, hollywood has its few things that they do just to create suspence. But it's nothing to get bent about. Real life scenario... Iraqi sniper maybe gets one shot off, soldiers realize "Oh hey, that only house there with that object that is glaring back at me is probably where he's at" house receives at least 300 rounds at the rapid rate of M2 .50 CAL ammo. House gets put down to dust, game over.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mosin said:
In my opinion:

I feel that Generation Kill is the closest thing to the USMC. Having shot both the SASR (Semi Automatic Sniper Rifle... 50 Cal) and the Draganov 7.62, I honestly think they can both be finely tuned weapons of chaos. In my experience in talking to people who have had to first hand deal with both Iraqi and Afghani snipers they will tell you that they're not to be taken lightly. However you get a few bozo's here or there that can't hit the side of a shed, but some of them are quite good.

Anyways, just like all movies, hollywood has its few things that they do just to create suspence. But it's nothing to get bent about. Real life scenario... Iraqi sniper maybe gets one shot off, soldiers realize "Oh hey, that only house there with that object that is glaring back at me is probably where he's at" house receives at least 300 rounds at the rapid rate of M2 .50 CAL ammo. House gets put down to dust, game over.
Capri Sun Juice packs for everybody!! :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mosin said:
In my opinion:

I loved generation kill, it was well made and showed a lot of what actually happens.

Also it is true there have been reports of tanks being called in to level buildings with "suspected" snipers in them. I say "suspected" snipers because no one is going to sift threw the remnants to see if the got him/her.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Mosin is right..

Generation Kill is a great series!

And yes the snipers in Iraq, only place I have been so far, are very good! All of the crappy ones are dead. They get their one shot off and they are then gone. They don't stick around for very long.

Having been shot at with a Dragonov they can be very precise! But like Mosin said, being on the M2, my Becky:D, the hide he was is was rubble when we were done shooting at him. The M2's , A Mk19, and a Crow system all bucking......nothing left.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blackfoot1 said:
Pure drivel, awful film, bad acting... It's 126 minutes of "straight up, homosexual, special Olympics gay"
It's only redeeming feature is that it's not 127 minutes.
Come on now, don't hold back...tell us how you really feel... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.