Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you want to be a airsoft sniper?

Being a successful airsoft sniper is a test of skill and technique. You need the correct mindset, techniques, gear, and game to do it well.

The sniper is the quiet one. Probably not he fastest player but the most disciplined. They sometimes work alone but should be working as a team of two. In the real world the sniper team consist of a shooter and an observer.

The sniper team moves slowly and works to get to a good position and then stays there until the sniper's objective is eliminated or the situation dictates they move. The Observer is responsible for protecting the sniper and providing additional situational information. It is not uncommon for a airsoft sniper to be so focused on the target in front that they allow themselves to be flanked or to have a player walk up on him from behind and take him out before the sniper ever knew he was there. The job of the observer is to watch his back.

Sniper

The sniper (shooter) does what the observer tells him to do. He depends on the info given to him. Because a good sniper is solely focused on the target and mission he cant concentrate on everything around him. In airsoft, as in real world situations, the sniper is sent to accomplish specific tasks. A supporting role is best: the sniper can take out the guy guarding the objective, the sniper can protect the team as it moves, the sniper can be a real pain in the butt for the other team.

Correct use of a sniper in a planned way can really make a difference. The other team is probably not looking for the sniper because that's not the way they play - since many players end up on their own they become easy prey.

The Observer

This player protects and backs up the sniper. The observer guides him to targets and makes sure no one sneaks up behind them. While moving to a good shooting position the two work like any other team should - moving, covering, stopping, listening, but unlike the rest of the players their pace is much slower. Sometimes moving is in inches not yards.

Equipment

Most airsoft sniper rifles are spring powered. Snipers should carry some kind of gas or electric backup weapon - either a pistol or small auto. This will come in handy if you are detected and need to make a hasty retreat while laying down fire.

Sniper play - one example.

"Time and time again I have moved to a position when I could see the opposing objective with 3 or 4 players in and around it. When the rest of the team was close enough to get their attention it was my task to either take the bunkered players out or to keep them so worried that my teammates could d**n near walk up on them.

It doesn't take spraying BBs - in fact that is the last thing you want to do. What you do want is to keep them occupied but not know where its coming from.

Use only one shot, either hit or close enough to get their head down. Don't move, wait for them to look for where it came from and then, one shot. This can go on a while. The sniper will hit them or scare them into doing something stupid like running out of the bunker and into the line of fire from the rest of the team."

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

A little information about the observer from me:

Well, being a Counter-Sniper or a Spotter, I can't tell you how many times I've seen assault people try to rush a sniper. For those people who want to be a sniper, be sure to invest in getting someone that will be willing to do your spotting and be your backup man. As a Counter Sniper I can tell you that the best thing to do when you have a sniper problem is to just rush that person, it may not be in real steel because the sniper puts a lot of distance and could probably take out 25+ people before you even knew their exact location. But because this isn't real steel, you've got maybe 50-75 yards between you and your target, most people can run that in about 8 seconds. So because they can sprint to you in 8 seconds, you need to time yourself, whether you take live test dummies or set up targets, but see how fast and how many targets you can effectively hit, and by effective I don't mean being able to hit their head, I mean being able to hit them center mass or anywhere on the body that would qualify a hit.

Another good thing to watch out for is wind speed. Always know where the wind is blowing, and how fast, generally speaking here are some guidelines to knowing your speeds:
0-5 mph : Little to no movement, maybe a small sway in tall grass
6-10 mph: more movement, small tree branches may sway, grass will for sure as well as objects on trees (Markers tied around them, flags on a pole, so on)
11-20 mph: definite signs of wind speed, majority of tree branches will sway if not move completely, grass will be moving as well as flags.
25+ mph: Well.. If your taking shots with this sort of wind speed, expect no success.

Because the sniper only has one shot, it is a lot harder to be able to adjust shot after shot, so it's recommended that you make a personal mil dot adjustment, just take your gun out on different days with different wind speeds, and see where it shoots. First of all, sight in your weapon for 50 yards with no wind, because majority of your shots will be between 35-75 yards, and if your at 50 your smack dab in the middle of that, which should be able to hit a man size target no matter what.

After you've learned wind speeds and you know exactly where you gun shoots, work on your camouflage. Always know that natural vegetation is your best friend. If you have a ghillie suit that likes to collect leaves your best bet is to crawl on your back in a pile of them and collect as much as you can. As an airsoft sniper, because you'll move around a lot more, your best bet is to always lay on your back and try to collect the natural vegetation in your immediate area, because you move around alot (Well.. A lot more than a real sniper) you should probably do this every time you enter an area that wouldn't match your existing vegetation.

Here are some other small things that will help you be more effective as a sniper in the battlefield:

Mesh nets:
These are your friends, put them over any lens or scope you may have, it will help in the long run.

Face paint: whether it be a rec game, or a tournament. Know that face paint can be a great ally when it comes to concealment, an example would be that Tex doesn't really wear face paint, I can usually see him 80 yards away if he's just laying there. However Livonia and Mirage wear face paint, so I've had times where I'll walk past them and have no idea.

Mesh Goggles: Know that if you wear these, you risk bb material getting into your goggles, however, they are a great advantage because they never fog. My advice is to only wear them when your the guy in the far back.

Hydration: Put it under your ghillie or carry it in a drag bag, you'll thank me

That's all I got for now, I'll add more stuff as I feel nessicary. I hope this helps in addition to what Milsimsniper had said.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Some of this may be redundant from above.

The following is taken from this page and edited for relevance. http://www.specialopspaintball.com/positions/asn.asp

Ideal Attributes for Sniper
* Patient and Disciplined. Few players have the will or the patience to play Sniper. Some games, the Sniper won't see an enemy player. Other games, he'll need nerves of steel to allow players to walk within yards of his hide. He's a meticulous person who loves a job well done.

* Decent physical fitness. He doesn't need to work real hard at being a Sniper, but he must be able to spend long periods creeping on his belly without freaking out.

* Iron-will and giant reserves of stubbornness. To out-wit the competition, he must be very committed to winning (his way.) And, yet, he can't be a total lone wolf. The Sniper is useless unless he's part of the team's larger strategy and willing to take direction from the Commander.

This is kinda...eh, but I'll include it as a guideline for certain aspects of your game you could be working on. If anyone starts putting these qualifications in their sig, make sure you point and laugh at the douchebag. There is some CCA or Combined Yada Yada Yada Arms website out there with similar "requirements". One thing you should definitely realize if you're going to be a sniper, Adapt, nothing is ever cut and dry. You will need to think on your feet and change on the fly...or die.

Sniper Skill Progression

Basic
Requires at least one day playing Sniper position. [For example, if you haven't PLAYED a days worth of games as a sniper, you are NOT a sniper...seems reasonable.]

When a player proclaims that he has set his mind to becoming a sniper, he is in for a long learning curve. It takes guts to even consider playing the sniper position, since failure to a sniper can mean point-blank execution when his hiding place is discovered.

But, if the Basic Sniper has truckloads of patience and discipline, he may have a future in the position. A Basic Sniper begins with the realization that he may get lucky, but more often than not his ambushes will be blown and will produce only a couple of eliminations. The bigger test will be if the novice sniper can wait patiently through the games where he never sees another soul. Playing Sniper is no place for dudes with ADD.

A Basic Sniper kit can include virtually any gun. However, good camo is a must. Gun and facemask camo is also a very good idea. Do your best with the gear you have. If the sniper game agrees with you, then a better gun and better gear may be in your future.

So, get on the ground, Sniper, and get crawling!

Senior
Requires at least six days playing Sniper position.

This guy has spent some serious time in the bush (BUSHES, we mean.)

By now, the man knows he is cut out to be a sniper. He's had a pretty good number of ambushes come together, though he still gets blown on occasion (his COVER gets blown, we mean.) But, he's getting the ambush down as well as his long shot.

Most likely, a Senior Sniper has put a case or two of BB's through his gun practicing his one-shot-kill skill. He has figured out that the other team finds him far less often when his one-shot game is on.

His gear is coming together nicely. His gun packs a point sight or scope and his barrel length is growing like a high school kid's johnson in the morning. He's either going ghillie, or he's added ghillie elements to his mask, camo and gun.

You know this dude's serious, because his bedroom floor has scraps of leaves and brush that got drug in on his cammies. Keep on creeping, bro!

Master
Requires at least fifteen days playing Sniper position.

This dude's no joke. All those peckers who say that airsoft snipers don't exist shut the hell up when he's around. That's because he's owned their sorry asses in enough ambushes that they're ashamed to open their mouths.

His legendary ambushes have forced the enemy to a crawl

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

This is true, but they seem adamant on it reguardless.

Either way, I don't really think that the said ranking system is very good. I've probably spent about one month accumulated time in the bush with a bolt action, but that'll probably be going to two once this season of airsoft is over.

Reguardless, it's a bad method. Consider your ranking system this way, out of 10 possible points.. 10 being pro-stock.

___ - Wearing a Ghillie Suit (1 Point)
___ - Natural Vegetation Applied? (2 Points)
___ - Have a radio/communication device (3 Points)
___ - Has a Spotter (2 Points)
___ - Ghillie Suit matches environment/Facepaint is applied (1 Point)
___ - Has a map of the field & knows what medics/generals look like (Has seen them during the breifing) (1 Point)

Consider yourself a good sniper if you've got all those checked, if not.. Look at what you need to work on, and improve it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Mosin said:
This is true, but they seem adamant on it reguardless.
I think you'll find its because they assume there is a certain amount of glory attached to this part of the sport :). What these 'Glory Boys' fail to consider, is that not everyone has the natural attributes to become a sniper, and despite being told on numerous occasions, to their face, in no uncertain terms by fellow team mates they are c!*p! ( is the personal experience showing through yet? ;) ) We have found diversion was a good tactic, and convinced him he should be a grenadier instead and gave him a blooper to play with, suddenly he don't want to be sniper anymore ;).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

It seems that when airsoft snipers find out it isn't glory and vasili zietsev and Carlos Hathcock 24/7 their first thing to do is say "Oh, well I just need a ghillie suit". So they go to a local online website, and buy a woodland one, because they think "Yeah.. That's what color the trees are!" But what they forget is that very few snipers hide in trees. Majority are prone, in the dirt.. Where it's brown.

But on top of that, they don't bother to get a radio, they don't bother to throw in natural vegetation, and more often than not, they shoot a clone of some sort.

/Rant.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Guys, this is a sticky to help young players, not a discussion. You've both received one warning (You know who you are) as well as your posts are deleted.

EDIT: Sniperx1.. You've also received an IP ban for both of your accounts on the grounds that you tried to sneak around your ban on another account and make a new one. It's one thing to just break rules and get your punishment.. It's another to try and cheat the system.

·
Registered
40 Posts

When I first started sniping 2 years ago I didn't even bring my rifle on the field I tailed a sniper with my AEG and slowly progressed to playing tag with some seasoned snipers.

One of the most well known in the area and I got to the point where whenever we were on the field together we considered each other targets of opportunity and would try to take each other out as well as help our team with the task at hand.

Locally we also have the occasional hunt the sniper scenario which is a lot of fun as the target or the counter sniper.

I think airsoft is a completely different game/simulation as a sniper and I happen to prefer it.

I have a ton of notes as well. such as what setup on my rifle does what, with which weight/brand of pellet, under what conditions. There is another section of which camo works on which field sometimes even down to which area of a field including kill vs. personal death counts for that specific location.

I even have a print out from another forum of a player recounting my 1 shot 2 kills luck about a year ago.

So a note to new snipers: information is every bit as important as gear when sniping. Combined with experience, patience, and stealth are the attributes of a sniper.

The rush in being an airsoft sniper is when you overcome a challange or make that one shot you can't stop thinking about, even if no-one knows it was you.

If you are an airsoft sniper, be proud of what you do, and don't worry if it goes unseen. That is the point afterall, right!

·
Registered
299 Posts

So I was reading through my copy of Trigger Men
-http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Men-Spider-Man-Magnificent-Bastards/dp/0312354568/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223296602&sr=8-1
and thought this would be appropriate to put here.

On the reality and proper mindset of an effective sniper:

Pg 105
Anybody can pull a trigger; anybody can hit a target at long range with modern weapons. I could teach a monkey how to shoot--but there is so much more to being a sniper! The art of the sniper is in being able to get into position without being noticed, to be able to observe for long periods and to know what you are seeing, to make a precision long-range shot if and when appropriate, and to make tactically useful reports by radio. A sniper's work is a lot like hunting; you have to go where the targets are likely to be, then set up your ambush and wait in an alert and prepared way. The actual shot, if there is one, is one very small part of the process.
That about sums it up. As an individual with first-hand knowledge, I recommend the book despite minor flaws. It's first rate among sniper non-fiction.

·
Registered
35 Posts

If i may add to what is already posted..

When you play the role, aside from the PHYSICAL demands, and having the right TOOLS for the job.. you will also experience somthing not usually discussed in the boards...

Psychological Demands. Airsoft may be a game, but being alone... has its effects:p

When you breakoff from your team to STALK for the enemy, all may be quiet and calm.. but youre just as good a target as the ones you are hunting if you dont know how to utilize and go about your surroundings and your emotions.

Having the right tools, will most definitely help you achieve that 1 shot one kill. But when youre in the thick of things, you being HUMAN kicks in.

When alone, and you encounter a patrol of 6 or more Tangos, you will have to deal will many thoughts in your mind, like;

"THeyre too many!"
"Im in the open, no cover"
"Where are my team mates?".
"Im out GUNNED and OUT NUMBERED"
"I only fire 1 shot at 500fps, they can fire HUNDREDS at 550fps"... etc...etc.

You will have to DEAL with these thoughts while youre Thinking of getting a good firing spot, where to go when spotted or even if you will pursue and engage the patrol. The momment you loose control of your thoughts and imagination... you will most defientely FREEZE out of PANIC, and... ulitimately.. out of the GAME, or worse, HURT because of overwhelming opposing FIRE.

Even if youve found a Good SPOT already, and have a tango in your SCOPE... your breething will become deeper, and once again your brain will process thoughts that you will have to control or you will loose that shot.

WORRY, ANXIETY, FEAR and DOUBT are not discussed but are ALWAYS Experienced by seasoned Airsoft snipers. ANd most of the time, its not the Failure of the GUN, or Wrong BB used, or even wrong camo or lack of a side arm that makes an sirsoft sniper bite the bullet... Its the unability of the sniper to decide and act on the given situation whilst facing these phsycological factors. Its different when youre ALONE or in a SMALL SQUAD and when with your team Guns ablazing.

The most memorable experiences many airsoft snipers have had are when despite all odds, outnumbered, out gunned and with out any ammo manage to accomplish the mission. Thats why, if youre an airsoft sniper, you dont really give importance to "HOW MANY KILLS"... but its "WHAT YOU DID And how you GOT the KILL".

·
Registered
49 Posts

This is a long post I put on my group forum awhile ago, I am cross posting it here as I felt it would add to this topic and help a beginner that is just thinking about getting into airsoft sniping:

I have a used (to me) TM VSR 10, and really like it. It was upgraded when I bought it and I have continued to do so. The latest is a telfon cylinder bore, which is fantastic. Anyway, I am NOT home right now so I will revisit this thread later: In the mean time here are some links to other threads on this forum that may help you out. If you have specific questions post them up.

http://www.c3airsoft.com/showthread....path+of+sniper

http://www.c3airsoft.com/showthread....ghlight=sniper

Cut from one of my other posts but pertinent:

I for one agree with WWIII_USMC, you will find that most of us that do use a sniper rifle in this group will. You may find a decent starting place for a sniper rifle for $150, especially if you start with a JG, BAR 10 or a TM, VSR10 used. The UTG mk96 is a low end sniper but is still somewhat limited in upgrade ability so I would stick to the first two. The Super 9 is absolute crap in my experience both using it and hitting someone else I out ranged with a STOCK TM M14.

I mentioned these are starting places.
in my VSR10 which I bought used I have this:

Tokyo Marui VSR-10 **PRO version** $220.00 SOLD
Included:
-rifle $180.00
-scope $30.00
-.30g BB's $22.00
-1 magazine @29 rounds
-aluminum piston (NOT in the cylinder already) $50.00
-Dees custom 6.01mm x430mm barrel $60.00
-package of papers
-box
-150sp spring (in cylinder already) $15.00

to this I added two magazines, a different scope, a hop up bucking upgrade a new trigger sear, a new cylinder and piston guide. This is the minimum and I still don't have much advantage over a well upgraded AEG. When my trigger sear wears out again (common with upgraded springs. I'll add a laylax zero trigger which cost more than your budget of $150 on average.

To have any advantage over a quality AEG be prepared to spend 4 to 6 times your budget to have a minuscule advantage in range and a moderate advantage in accuracy. Even then you will have no firepower in terms of Rate of fire and be prepared to be peppered with hundreds of BBs. The good news is lots of players buy a sniper rifle and a few even upgraded it and find out that they don't like crawling in the bugs, snagging on thickets and generally be bored until they get a shot and then get owned by several AEGs, so used sniper rifle starting points are fairly common. To reiterate GET A AEG to start out with, we are trying to keep you from throwing your money away and being disappointed. If you still l want to use a sniper rifle use the search button and type in VSR 10, BAR10, and sniper rifle, read and comprehend the posts on those threads. ask your questions here in this thread and reference any old posts with a link (so you don't necro post) Lots of us do like to take the role of a sniper or designated marksman, I find it challenging and fun, I especially like hiding unseen and picking off opponents (rare that that happens) I like having someone walk past (or even on me) unknowingly. But this happens infrequently, if you are moving you are obvious to all (I look like a wookie is the brush) and low speed, high drag. when you are still and in your hide, you are invisible and usually out of position.
Last edited by Jeep : 07-22-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Some links to some other forums, and retail locations to start you on your search:
http://squeegie.proboards21.com/index.cgi This is OSOK, a sniper paintball forum but a lot of information apply to sniping in airsoft as well

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/in...p?showforum=87
Airsoft forum is a large national board with a little more expertice than just my opinion in this response. Especially in the stickies

http://airsoftsniper.proboards107.com/index.cgi

http://www.ghilliesuits.com/

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/in...459&hl=Ghillie

This is a pretty decent thread that may answer other questions:

http://www.c3airsoft.com/showthread....ht=sniper+role

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/in...=upgrade+guide

Ok, I have a little more time now. Please correct me if I make a couple of wrong assumptions here and their are a lot of very good players here with more information that you should pay heed to. Some of which have already done so and hopefully the rest will chime in soon. In the mean time if you have not hit the links that have been posted here and done a search, DO SO NOW. If you have a specific question, instead of reviving a dead post. post your question here and post a link to the thread in question.

Lets look for a second on what the advantages are of a air soft replica sniper rifle and the role that you play with them. You said that you already have AEGs, Good, 99% of the time that is what you should be using on the field to be effective and safe. please post up what they are and why you don't like them specifically, we can help with that too. Let me try to explain about snipers roles, sniper rifle replicas and BBs and cost there of, I think it will clear things up a little.

A sniper rifle either gas or springer only has one real advantage over a AEG in this group. in that a SEMI only sniper rifle may exceed 400fps to a hard maximum of 500fps with .20 BBs. This is also subject to a 50' minimum or more engagement range so you don't hurt someone with it. This will allow you to have a minuscule increase in range with a heavier BB than a AEG with .20 gram BBs . The BB will also travel nearly as far as a upgraded AEG but may travel that distance a wee bit faster. Lets break that down.

Why a heavier BB? they would travel slower than a lighter one right? This is true but a heavier BB will carry its energy farther than a lighter one. This means that out of the barrel a .20 will go a bit faster than say a .25 or .30 gram BB but that .20 will bleed off that velocity faster as it travels down range than a .25 or even a .30 the lighter .20 also are subject more to the environment, leaves wind, dirt make them a bit more inaccurate than the heavier BBs over distances. In effect at lets say 100 feet the heavier .3 BB will have high fps velocity than a .20 BB So having a single shot sniper rifle allows you to shoot a heavier BB a little faster and a little farther than a AEG this is not much of a advantage but every little bit helps.

Speaking of which, In the case of a springer, it may be quieter than a AEG or gas gun. Quieter is good, but only works if you have superb field craft in the shot in thefirst place. Even then its only good for one to three shots before all those targets know your around and start beating the bush for you or more than likely hosing the likely spots down with a hail off BBs in recon by fire. Then you have no firepower (unless you are carrying a AEG as a back up) and All those targets are going to close on you from all direction until you are taken out. You just diverted the enemy team for a while, This is good in some circumstances but its a lot of challenging work to get in to a good hide and it does not last long once you are there. Also keep in mind that there are some players that have upgraded their AEGs to the point that they have become DMRs (designated Marksmen Rifle) These are able to but out a BB at or near 400fps (with .20) as accuratly as you do, and I for one usually use .23 or .25 in mine so your advantages over me or any onther DMR are very small and I am closing on you and I have firepower to boot, Not much of advantage either.

Cost: It has been said that a decent sniper rifle is going to cost you dearly. I bought mine used and have already posted what it cost. in addition I have added a several other items: but lets look over what I have spent and why:

Reference this forum post to see the guts of a VSR10 (BAR 10 is the same)

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/lo...hp/t81253.html

Tokyo Marui VSR-10 **PRO version** $220.00 SOLD
Included:
-rifle $180.00
-scope $30.00
-.30g BB's $22.00
-1 magazine @29 rounds
-aluminum piston (NOT in the cylinder already) $50.00
-Dees custom 6.01mm x430mm barrel $60.00
-package of papers
-box
-150sp spring (in cylinder already) $15.00
In addition I have added a new hardened trigger sear ($25), this is frequently necessary on any springer sniper rifle with a upgraded Spring, Honestly, my old one did not look bad either, it does not take much wear to not hold the piston in place so its necessary. A better solution is a laylax zero trigger, Which is very very expensive $150 or so and use its own piston.
added a small rail and a weaver ttpe bipod ($55)
installed the red type piston (that was included in the deal)
telfon tape and a minor tweaking of the air break.
This brought me up to a hot 410 fps with .20 and I expected more from a 150sp spring.

To this I just installed a Teflon coated cylinder bore by laylax( $130 )as suggested to me at BR2 when it chronoed so low. (Keep in mind that I use .25, .29 and .30 BBs on the field) Judging form how much easier it is to cycle the bolt I expect a big FPS jump, maybe even to big a jump.

See even with the screaming great deal I got from another player I have spent a good bit to have the accuracy and range advantage. This is also a budget sniper rifle there are at least a dozen other players here with replicas superior to mine, But they have paid more for it too.

Want to know what is more effective than all this above: Why Dave kills us all, the grand secrete on why certain players are players are known to be sneaky little bastards? Superior fieldcraft, and team work and camoflage but this is another post.

It has been said over and over Airsofting is not real life, real people thankfully do not die, ranges are better than paintball but not really far either. It is not a video game like COD4 or counter strike, Bunny hopping will get you laughed at (a lot) dolphin diving will get you busted up and laughed at. and sniper rifles are NOT THE HAND OF GOD WEAPONS OF DOOM! I need you to be aware of this because if you di the searching of just this forum you would notice how many times this has come up in the past.

Looking back on my post I never got into the role of a sniper in airsoft. With exception of a few sniper hunt/ defend the VIP mission that we sometimes run. Most snipers are not off lone wolf hunting, if they are they are NOT being effective for their team. Taking the role of a sniper especially in big games and operations should be a supporting role much like a SAW gunner. You should be as a sniper supporting your squad in a direct or more usually in a indirect manner.

What I have found is that while you are off with your spotter hunting targets of opportunity, the game goes merrily off with out you so you may pick off one or two leaders or liaisons or maybe a squad will get diverted from what they are supposed to be doing but more often than naught while you sneak stealthily off in the woods you will pop up 2 to 40 minutes after it mattered or would have made a difference (or after the game is over, don't ask me how many times this has happened to me, I am sure someone will tell you) In effect while sneaking around by your self you are not helping your team any more than if you would have been in the dead box!

To support your squad in a direct manner means that you have used your superior field craft to get into a hidden position (With excellent camouflage) that allows you to pick off enemy leaders, support gunners, DMRs and liaisons with direct aimed fire while your squad mates move up in over watch Thus keeping the enemy pinned down. This allows you to make the kills. The thing is a DMR AEG is better at this because it allow YOU to add to the covering fire. Alternatively, You can use your greater accuracy to counter someone doing the above to your squad. Even better at this sort of platoon movement is a squad of a pair or fire teams instead of a two man sniper team with one AEG and a bolt action sniper rifle.

Now supporting your squad/team in a indirect manner, this is tricky. This is very close to going off hunting BUT you and your spotter should be in direct and constant communication with your squad and /or command. You generally will NOT be shooting at targets. Instead you will move to a hidden hide a support your squad mates with spotting information. This is difficult because it requires great communication on your part, with information that is necessary and pertinent to the squad leader so he can take action on that information. With your sniper rifles scope and/ or binoculars you should be scanning for enemy movement their size and what they are doing. The problem is you are required to remain unnoticed and the squad leader needs to be willing to listen to use that information.

During Operation Mid-night Sun Cleric and I were a sniper team in support of blue 3 platoon. We were most effective when watching the approaches to two major objectives. When ever we spotted movement we just relaid that information to the platoon leader. This allowed him to move overwhelming forces to meet each enemy force. Once the enemy forces were engaged we could safely pick off hi profile targets and no one was the wiser that we were behind or to their flank, thus not giving our position away and remaining effective. This is a example of indirect support. The danger here is we were NOT helping our teammates anytime that the enemy was not in our sector of the field. Nor were we helpful when our platoon was NOT in a position to use that information for a variety of reason such as, poor radio discipline, no targets simple not in that part of the field just to gloss over some of them.

SO what is required here. Well first knowing the field and being able to communicate with radios were the enemy is on it. Being able to use your scopes to spot enemy unit movement with enough time to use that information in support of a squad. Being able to move into a position that is worth being in and remaining their unnoticed (and bored) and remain unnoticed even when the enemy literally is standing on top of you. The last thing is a a uber sniper rifle as the range and accuracy are second to radio and navigation skills It even less important than camouflages skills.

Camouflages and ghillies:

I am of the opinion that making your ghillie suit is a rite of passage, it is tedious and boring and not a little frustrating. But then again of the four I own 3 of them started store bought.
To be effective a ghillie should be matched towards the area you are working in. This can me done by adding and subtracting appropriate jutes and colors (with spray paint) and adding veg. One of the advantages of a commercial ghillie is: they are usually treated against mildew and a FIRE RETARDANT. This is why I have four, different terrain and seasons Adding vegitationto a ghillie is THE SINGLE BEST REASON a ghillie suit blends as well as it should, that is to work as well as it could you should be veging up your ghillie I find it a lot of annoyance and time consuming and honestly I don't often bother, because, My life does not depend on it, and it frequently does not matter much as you move around to fast in airsoft to be really effective anyway.

There are different types of ghillie suits as well some offer superior concealment and others greater mobility or range of movement.
The military uses what is referred to as a crawl suit, superior prone concealment when prone or crawling. this usually only had jute and veg over the back side of the complete body and padded skids on the front. It is very slow moving in a crawl suit. My homemade suit was one of these, I believe Spearsquad also uses a crawl suit. Next is a full suit, I have one of these in a two piece affair a jacket and pants. Jute is covering all sides of the jacket and pants, Not so good for crawling or prone movement, But your remain concealed when sitting or standing STILL, otherwise you are Chewbacca running in the woods. In my case I have two ghillie capes (long) These are just the netting and jute NOT sewn to a undergarment allowing a lot of versatility. They are a little cooler and a little more mobile. mine have long sleeves a hood a pull over your head that comes half way down your (my) chest and a long tail that goes down my back and legs and drags actually behind me getting caught on every thing. The last pattern to ghillies is what is called a tracker. it is basically a hood and sleeves and maybe a small chest piece meant to be worn with regular BDU uniforms. It allows normal movement but will break up head and shoulders your silhouette offering a little better concealment in the brush.

As you move in a ghillie you will quickly learn that you are a giant wookee looking thing that gets caught up on every little twig in the woods, You will exemplify HIGH DRAG and LOW SPEED making it very very difficult to move quickly unnoticed into a hide. There by making you very difficult to be useful to your team/platoon/squad. However, if you have properly prepared your ghillie you can be nigh invisible to other players right up to being stepped on.

Their are a couple of game related safety thing to add to this GHILLIES ARE FRECKING HOT!!! You need to be properly hydrated and remain hydrated for your own safety.

The second game related thing is you need to beware that all that vegetation and jute tends to suck BB strikes so if their is the slighted chance that you were hit, You should have enough honor to call your self out whether or not you were hit or not is immaterial. This is difficult sometimes because once the target find out that you are around in a ghillie they will fire up every little bush blindly. Just beware of it and if their is doubt do the right thing.

The last is you need to beware of minimum engagement ranges at all times. Your upgraded sniper minimum engagement range often prevents you from shooting at targets unless you have a really good pistol and/or a small AEG (I use a KWA glock 17 and a Echo 1 MP5A5 (upgraded for ROF))

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Thread locked, this is not a discussion thread. Stickied threads are accumulative posts of more than great information. If you have something to add to this thread, PM me with what you've got, and I'll let you know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.