Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all know getting shot from behind is embarrassing, and most of the time, we prevent it with bush craft, and an excellent sense of your surroundings... But what about scenarios where it is close quarters? One thing that can sometimes happen is that even the best of us have had someone get the drop on us, and take us from behind.

One thing I have noticed, when doing some e-shopping and YouTube research on tactical vests all day, is that most airsoft tactical vests provide plenty of protection for the front of your torso, but hardly anything on your back. The one vest that I do have is exactly like that. When she came home, I had my fiance shoot me in the back with my M1911-TAC pistol [much to her pleasure], which is the only working gun I have right now. Anyways, I put on my jacket, had her shoot me, from 6 feet away, and we all know how that feels [shoot yourself on your bare foot with the gun by your head, feels about the same, and yes I know that because I did it to myself]. I had her shoot me in the chest from the front at the same distance, and it felt like getting hit with a ping-pong ball. As far as my vest is concerned, it fit my generalization that most airsoft tactical vests do not provide sufficient protection for your back. Many of you will say "Well you shouldn't ever be in that position of having an opponent behind you if you are doing your job correctly." And I say, this is about those times when it does happen. No one is perfect, and no one in their right mind, even airsoft players, likes walking home with a back covered in welts.

I thought about how to give myself some extra protection on my back, but I would like your recommendations as to what cheap [or readily available in a common household] materials I should use as a back-guard for protection on my back? I'm considering Duct tape and cardboard, or something like a yoga mat that we don't use any more... But before I go wasting my resources that I normally use for target practice in my room, I would like some thoughts from you, the true professionals of what I'm calling "softcraft" which encompasses Airsoft bush craft, and Airsoft mechanics, which includes every mod for your guns from hop up, upgrades, and everything else you do to increase the performance and/or the aesthetics of your guns.

I'm bringing this up because I don't see many threads here concerning urban sniping body gear. In fact, using the search function of this site, "Urban Sniping" appears in 6 posts/threads, while "Urban Sniping Gear" came up empty. Everything pertaining to the subject talks about what is in certain persons' urban kits, but not anything about how they made it, what they recommend, or any guides here concerning urban sniping that go over the gear on your body. I do not mean your guns or a ghillie suit, I mean everything you wear on your person. Your vest, your clothes, your rearguard... everything. Yes a ghillie is normally what you focus on, but I would like info on urban gear where ghillies are not used, and yes, a rearguard, because you can't always have someone watching your six.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think the reason is because there isn't a lot of urban scenarios for airsoft that sniping would be reasonable to play. I've only been in one Op that had any kind of urban area where sniping would be somewhat valid, the other one was too close quarters that you would be at a disadvantage with a sniper rifle and might as well switch to your pistol. Remember that we aren't shooting thousands of feet, we are shooting just a couple hundred.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please keep all responses directly related to the OP. Basically I would really like some HELPFUL ANSWERS, not more questions.

I brought this up because out here in Hawaii, all but one field is designed for CQC, and there are guys out here shooting around 600 [Mods, please don't lock this feed because I mentioned >500 FPS, I'm not the one doing it to my guns] with their modified Gas and AEGs, and those aren't even the snipers. A lot of mainland regulations, including the law about orange tips and silencer registrations, are not really enforced out here. I only know of 2 fields out here that do have strict regulations on FPS, but even then depending on what groups are playing there, they don't always have someone enforcing those regulations all the time. While the fields are designed for CQC, they are still large enough to be sniping.

Out here, our fields are pretty small, with one exception, but they are large enough for us to be sniping.
here are all the links I can find concerning the fields here in Hawaii:

A map of all the fields and stores out here:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=oahu...=4rvVUoWmO4agogSmioK4Dg&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg
All the sites for fields and groups:
Hawaii Extreme Paintball & Airsoft ? Kapolei, Hawaii ? Fields
Map and "Stuff"
Welcome to Power Edge Hawaii
http://www.airsofthawaii.org/updates/index.shtml

·
Registered
971 Posts
We ask questions so we can give you a better answer.

And to answer, cardboard should be good enough for more protection. I usually just make sure I don't get hit, so I don't have to feel the pain of a bb hitting me in the rear end. The pain is part of the game.

Reactions: AnotherWayToSnipin

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sorry if If I came off as condescending earlier, I can totally understand you wanting more protection at those fps. Maybe you could consider getting a hydration carrier, that would cover up a good part of your back and It's really nice to have a drink whenever you want.

I usually wear my harness/belt outside of my ghillie coat, so I add jute and veg to the webbing itself. Of course this wont be needed in cqb but it does provide "some" protection.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Softcraft: Urban Sniping Tactical Gear <Subject Shift>

Sorry if I came off as an >:hole with my response... It's just that... I can't find any relevant or active forums on sniping out here in Hawaii, where almost all the fields are barren, close quarters style, but are just large enough for successful sniping, but the fields I have seen around here do not provide natural cover, and ghillies are useless, and not just because its hot as balls on the fields because it's Hawaii. I have seen one field that has no FPS limit, and I guess they are out in one of the camp grounds somewhere around here, but they don't disclose their location on the website for a great shop I found nearby. It's the only one I know of out here that is in a cool [temp], wooded area where using a ghillie is essential for sniping.

Just about everything else is close quarters oriented, barren, urban arenas where there is no vegetation and wearing a ghillie is useless unless you plan on having a heat stroke. I need a better rig though for my urban suit. I will post pics later of my current setup, including my guns and suit. I ended up taking some Kimchi Saimin [ramen] and boxes, cut them up, and duct taped them together with 2 thin strips taped together to make a spinal support between the two layers of cardboard. I had my friend shoot me with his M4, and even after 4 clips, I felt nothing. So I got my answer, but I was hoping other, more professional softcrafters could provide a better solution...

Since I have my answer on rearguard... Perhaps I should change my subject a little bit...

Can you guys please provide some insight on Urban softcraft? What kind of tactical vests would you recommend, or any other gear for an urban environment covered in red dirt with sniping in mind?

Again, I'm sorry for my reaction, it was uncalled for. I'm just frustrated because I can't find ANYTHING on airsoft sniping or even active forums for the groups and fields out here in Hawaii, and none of the websites have been updated since April 2013 at the latest. I'm not getting much sleep these days, so I end up browsing tons of forums, and I keep coming up empty. I'm going to assume since none of the other members with the normal username types associated with Hawaiian gamers, usually anything with 808 in it, are responding to my threads about airsoft fields and games out here in Hawaii, I am going to assume I am the only member who actually lives in Hawaii.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Depending on how light your rig is, defined by how much stuff you need to carry, I'd say a battle belt would do you just fine. The one by condor is pretty nice. Then if you need anything large or obnoxiously heavy (ie - water, tools, bags of BBs), you can just have a small backpack. As a sniper all you really need are extra mags, your sidearm (and mags for that) and a utility pouch for your knick knacks

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it is about protection, you could just go with an plate carrier (or for that matter any vest that can take sapi plates).

Cutting some foam into the right shape should provide way more then enough protection then you ever need, and also can be pretty comfy if you go into prone position.

:pop:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is what my vest is. There is a pouch in the back where I put my duct taped cardboard "armour". But I cant exactly go prone so... I'm probably going to use some of that foam for the front inline pouches and the ballistic plate pouch. Like I said, I'll post pics of what I have, but its proving to be a little difficult... my pics wont load.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do not want to blame your vest ... But here we go :cheers:

Nah, just messing with ya, but with a "good" vest it should be no problem to lay down at all. Also if the fabric is thick enough you probably do not even know any inlays.
But you can still go with some thin foam inlays from an old camping mat.

Or maybe it is just the cardboard being too stiff?

I do it too, but not to protect myself but to give the vest the form it should have and some stability ... And because I am way too lazy for sapi plates most of the time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use e-sappi plates when im a rifleman (not for pain reduction but for the weight that im use to from combat). I dont use my normal kit if im sniping, however the foam sleeping pad sold at most surplus/camping stores cut to fit should work nicely and still give you enough notification when you are hit.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys.

I'm actually pursuing another softcraft project... and I think it's pretty crazy what I'm gonna do, but hey someone else's dime paying for all my upgrades on my time. :p my next thread will be covering it. This is going to be a crazy project.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts