Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys, I haven't been on for awhile, I've had school and work. I am getting geared up for the airsoft season now and I have a few questions.

1. I am planning on getting the full EDGi kit for my BAR-10. Is there anything else I should get while I'm ordering things? What brands?

2. Also, I am looking to get an M4/M16 type gun for when I get those "Rambo" type urges. Does anyone have any suggestions of something that is very reliable and has a good amount of range?

3. I don't know very much about AEGS but I do want a "good" gun. Are there any upgrades that are needed?

I know its a lot of questions but any help is good. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Re the BAR upgrades read this thread and the links.

Then read through the rest of the VSR section before you part with any money. If you can get the Edgi stuff for less than you can buy the PSS10 gear as a whole package then crack on my son ;)

Re your AEG search M4/M16 are all much of a muchness, to be honest the best one that is not that problematic is the ICS version ( mainly because of the hop style), closely followed by the TM and all its clones. Upgrades will always be needed on these guns regardless. If you are serious about range your better of with something that has a better and more stable hop system like the TM AUG or either of the G&G or TM versions of the M14.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been in contact with the EDGi guy and have been searching around the internet and have come up with some ideas:

with EDGi I can do this:
Stainless Cylinder head.
Metal piston,
Spring
Spring guide
Trigger sear
Piston Sear
Tigh Bull Barrel.

With Laylax I can get this:

-PDI 6.01 mm inner barrel
$155

-Laylax 190 spring
$18

-Laylax Zero Trigger Set (includes orange piston)
$195

-Laylax Spring Guide
$28

-Laylax Teflon Cylinder
$135

-Laylax Air Seal Damper Cylinder Head
$25

I will get the following regardless of which set I choose:

-Firefly Hop-up Hard type
$19

-Laylax Barrel Spacers
$15

With EDGi I can have a total of $292 with shipping for the EDGI stuff (doesn't include spacers and hop-up shipping)
So total for Laylax is $590 without shipping

Please critique. Also, is there a good place with explanations of what each part (such as sears, hop-up, zero trigger, etc.) do? My friend is thinking of getting an airsoft gun and some upgrades but doesn't know about the different parts. Thanks for all help that you can give!!

EDIT: I only looked on Poweredgeusa.com, but if anyone has any other websites that has the laylax and firefly stuff then that would be swell!!

PS I live in Alaska so shipping is gonna be a bitch anyways.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Alot of the stuff you get with the Edgi kit isn't strictly necessary, Ive had my VSR for over 6 years shooting at 495fps/.20s and I've still got the stock cylinder and head (though the head has been modified by myself and is quite easy to do) I'm a firm believer in you 'pay for what you get' and as the Edgi gear is 2/3rds the price of the PSS stuff including shipping I'd be a tad wairy of it, especially as I've seen the price of the barrel alone and IIRC it was in the region of $85, so doesn't bode well for the rest of the stuff ;) Also regarding the barrel, its widely regarded that the best size and length for a VSR/BAR is between 430 and 480mm long and no narrower than 6.03mm diameter as everything else actualy reduces accuracy, but then if you fully read the links inside the link above you'd understand why ;) My advise to you would be to do a more detailed search for PSS parts,
Re your asking for explanations on what parts do, list out what you dont understand and I'll do my best to answer them, and I might even throw in some photos ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have a DB Customs 6.01 mm barrel so I was maybe going to get the PDI but not for sure. What do you mean by a more detailed search for PSS parts? Look for a better place to buy them or for better parts?

PS I was looking for a kinda of wikipedia of airsoft gun parts. I just don't know what a few things are and it might be good to read up on some things.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I meant a wider search for a supplier, though you may struggle to find all the parts available from the same place at the same time ;)

Well I'm our club armorer, and have stripped and rebuilt pretty much every airsoft weapon out there, bar a few, so if you want to learn, ask away, what I have in knowledge is no secret and I will share with those who ask

·
Registered
346 Posts
Although vindicare is generally right about the "you get what you pay for" rule, I wouldn't necessarily be wary of EdGI's parts. He does excellent barrels for the sniper community, and while the prices are lower on the vsr-10 package he makes, it might just be because it's easier to manufacture. I don't see why it would be in his best interests to lower the quality on his parts...and keep in mind that, to be honest, you don't have to be as careful about your cylinder and trigger as you do about your hopup and barrel. There are exceptions, but as long as your power is consistent and the sears are good quality you shouldn't have any big problems, even long term.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vindicareassassin said:
Re your asking for explanations on what parts do, list out what you dont understand and I'll do my best to answer them, and I might even throw in some photos ;)
When it says trigger sears and piston sears, what are those?? Also, am I getting better trigger sears and piston sears if I get the Zero Trigger?? that is pretty much all that I didn't know, is what sears are and such like that.
By the way I am comparing prices about where to get the parts I want and I have narrowed it down to using a little from Ehobbyasia and AirsoftGI or poweredgeusa I think.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
janzen14 said:
vindicareassassin said:
When it says trigger sears and piston sears, what are those?? Also, am I getting better trigger sears and piston sears if I get the Zero Trigger?? that is pretty much all that I didn't know, is what sears are and such like that.
By the way I am comparing prices about where to get the parts I want and I have narrowed it down to using a little from Ehobbyasia and AirsoftGI or poweredgeusa I think.
Your Trigger Sear is the piece of metal that locks your Piston Sear in place ready to fire. The Piston Sear is the piece of metal that holds the piston in the ready to fire position. When you pull the piston back to load the weapon you will feel/hear the click as the Piston Sear moves into position to hold the piston at the same time the Trigger Sear moves into the ready to fire position holding it all in place until you pull the trigger arm. As soon as you pull the trigger arm the Trigger Sear is pulled out of the way allowing the Piston Sear to drop out of the way, thus releasing the piston.
The Zero Trigger is probably the best Trigger Group you can buy and well worth the money, I dont actually own 1 as I am limited to 500 fps over here and I can get that from a 150 spring so I only use the replacement PSS Sears. The Zero Trigger will handle over a 190 spring with ease ;)

When ordering parts from various places, try to bare in mind the carriage costs, as these could easily out-way the savings that you might make on the parts purchased ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that explanation. I always wondered about that but could never find anything that told me. I have been looking at the costs of everything as wel as the shipping. Anyway I go about it it comes to about $400. I also was only able to find a Firefly Hard bucking at ehobbyasia out of all the places I looked. Plus they don't have outrageous shipping. I will keep you posted with what is going on.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Firefly rubbers(the hard type) are always hard to find :( but I personaly profer the Nineball rubber as the shot consistancy is better, the Firefly doesn't have the consistancy but does seem to give more range. To me consistancy is more important than range as I know I can always crawl a little closer and then know that the shot will go where I point it ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.