Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering about spotters in airsoft. I know what a real steel spotter should do, but I have had trouble finding what a spotter should do (and carry) in airsoft, generally it is divided in my on-line searches to two distinct groups.

1) the spotter caries a huge x20 spotting scope, range finder, ghillie, and basically does the full range of tasks a real steel spotter would do,

2) the spotter provides full auto fire to protect the sniper in the MED (or if the sniper exposes themselves)

i would guess for th most part the airsoft spotter sits somewhere between the two groups, but i would like the benefit of your wisdom!

also what gear does you spotter carry? is a full x20 or more spotting scope really needed? (and easy to use while wearing goggles?) or is a monocular of about x10 OK for airsoft? should a spotter have a range finder?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have never used a spotter. I feel, that for the most part, airsoft is too dynamic to have an effective team. That's not to say that it's impossible. From what I read and hear, most spotters in airsoft function more as a bodyguard than they do a true spotter. If I used one, i would likely let him deal with radio and comms stuff, while I try to locate targets to call in.

As far as a spotting scope goes, I would go with binos or a monocular. I prefer binos so that both eyes can be used, while others like the compactness of a monocular. Totally personal preference. Just make sure to cover those lenses, they'll give you away just as quickly, if not quicker, than your rifle's scope.

Again, this is all pure guessing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My spotter uses a silenced m4 with a 3-9x40 scope, bi-pod , ghillie and some low-cap mags. He does the shooting when we need a lot of plastic in the air at once, but generaly he uses the scope to aid me when acquiring a target and finding the next one. I like using a spotter because they are very utile :) They also provide another set of eyes which is better than one, and they are good company. atleast mine is

Got myself a sidearm today, btw! Glock 17 GBB with 3 mags
It's so awesome!!

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
A spotter can be very useful on the field, as long as he (or she) knows what they are doing, as well as carrying the appropriate gear.

Here is a basic list of what I think a spotter in AIRSOFT should carry:

-AEG: I would prefer if it were quiet, and not one of those loud AEG's you hear from across the field.
---At least 6 mid caps
---A couple low profile low caps
---Suppressor
---Optic

-Chest rig or Vest: You have to be able to carry your mags without losing too much mobility. Depending if you are wearing a ghillie or not (depending on the environment, it may or may not be necessary to conceal it).
---mag pouches
---radio pouches
----Binocular pouch
---Misscelaneous pouch (for tools, etc)
---Hydration pack

-Sidearm: For inside MED/if rifle gives out/in areas where a pistol is more useful-
NOTE: If you go with a spotter, for golly's sake, carry the same sidearm. That way you can hand each other mags in case the other runs out.
---3 mags (depending on game, perhaps 4-5 mags)

-Ghillie suit (if necessary)
---Jacket, pants, boonie

Other:
-Floss (for attaching veg)
-Knife for cutting veg
-Radio
-Spare batteries
-Binoculars

Its a list similar to that of a sniper, but with a tiny difference. Personally, a spotter can only be useful if they have the appropriate gear. They serve you no good if they don't have say a radio, AEG, binoculars (or scope), etc.

With that, a spotter can be very effective on the field. They can provide fire support, flanking, etc. They protect the sniper, and the sniper protects him. By working together, they can do some damage. Or the spotter can be that guy that does nothing but give away the sniper's position and ends up getting hit before the sniper can say get down.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuzzy I hadn't even thought about using the same side arm, but it makes sense, if we get overwelmed the sniper is likely to need a few extra mags! (reminds me of the scene from Blackhawk down with the two Delta snipers).

What would you consider for a more advanced set up? (I realise that you have given quite a list for a set up, but I think this is a topic that is often glossed over by most airsofters, and an idea of what an experienced sniper wants from a spotter is usefull)

Thanks to every one thats replied so far.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I, actually haven't played with a spotter yet, so this is definitely not a definitive list. However, I'm looking forward to getting a spotter soon! Anyways, for gear:
  • AEG with no MED, and a nice ROF (25-30 rps)[/*:m:kjq9s92l]
  • Ghillie, to blend in with me[/*:m:kjq9s92l]
  • Radio to report positions back to the team leader[/*:m:kjq9s92l]
  • Extra bb's, and a ton of AEG and VSR mags (they're like $5 off ehobby for the cheapo depot ones :) )[/*:m:kjq9s92l]

But, you also have to have the right mind set:
  • You better not give me away. Better I, the sniper, gives myself away, then the spotter shoots down or covers me, and fires, from an unexpected direction, on the enemy[/*:m:kjq9s92l]
  • You can't be trigger happy. "Thought you saw someone? Well you better be pretty damn sure before you spray that bush with 100 bb's.[/*:m:kjq9s92l]

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wondered the same about the usefulness of spotters in airsoft. I just do not know enough about it but if nothing it increases the fun factor. It would seem that the farther the range the more useful and fun it becomes.

If the rules allowed a more powerful gun that is off the field shooting onto the field it would really allow sniper/spotter functionality and add serious realness and definitely intimidate.

Do they have film equipped spotting scopes?

·
Registered
506 Posts
BeckLR1 said:
I just do not know enough about it but if nothing it increases the fun factor. It would seem that the farther the range the more useful and fun it becomes.
Yeah, I meant to put that on my list. That's the main reason for having a spotter, for me, at least.

BeckLR1 said:
If the rules allowed a more powerful gun that is off the field shooting onto the field it would really allow sniper/spotter functionality and add serious realness and definitely intimidate.
That's came up in a few threads. The main problem is how do you get to them? And, in my opinion, it would get super boring... just basically sitting and waiting to spot someone in the distance. Maybe on flat, grassy fields, but in the woodland, this wouldn't really work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awagg said:
[*] You better not give me away. Better I, the sniper, gives myself away, then the spotter shoots down or covers me, and fires, from an unexpected direction, on the enemy
[*] You can't be trigger happy. "Thought you saw someone? Well you better be pretty damn sure before you spray that bush with 100 bb's.
[/list]
I guess thats why in real steel the spotter is that bit more experienced that the trigger man.

a thought I had was the spotter should carry a claymore or some for of perimeter defense to protect the OP, or to act as a distraction?

whats everyone's thoughts of a spotter carrying a scoped M203?

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I am actually starting to save up for a spotter loadout now. The team I am playing with could use a few spotters and its something I would like to try. I will try and post some pics over the next month or two displaying my progress.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BeckLR1 said:
Do they have film equipped spotting scopes?
You can use a digiscope to attach a camera to any form of scope.

I have been thinking about optical gear for a spotter and have come up with two trains of thought.

1) the spotter carries optics (binos/scope/ etc) of a similar mag (or mag range) to the sniper this allows then to see what the sniper sees i.e. if the spotter whispers "medic 12 oclock" the sniper looks at 12 and there is the target

2) the spotter carries optics of a larger mag range, than the snipers scope so they can spot targets before the sniper, for instance mostly I use either x3 or x4 so a spotter with a mag range of x6 or x8 can see the target before I do and observe to make sure that is a medic in our hypothetical example. This also means that the spotter is more likely to be able to be able to confirm kills.

·
Registered
160 Posts
High power optics =/= seeing someone first. The reason a spotter doesn't use a standard rifle scope, is because with binos(and others), they have a much larger field of view. Say a sniper is looking through his scope, at 200 feet he can see a area of 30 feet across. At the same distance, the spotter can see an area of 60 feet across, giving him more situational awareness at range. Along with that is the decrease in chances of having the "target" move out of sight picture. Many RS spotters(to the best of my knowledge) have a standard high power scope on their rifle, but also carry binos(or others).

Also, to talk about gear, in my mind set your spotter should most importantly be as, or better, skilled in fieldcraft and stalking. They should carry a rifle that is maximum FPS without having a MED(minimal engagement distance right?) and that can reach out to at least 150 feet to have the fire from the sniper and spotter intersecting. The rifle should also be as silent as possible so they can take out danger close targets without being pointed out by a large TWANG'. They should carry enough midcaps to support full auto surpressing fire during an exfil under heavy fire. Should carry external magnifiers(already gone over), and spare tools or parts the sniper may need during the OP. They also should carry a side arm(same as stated from others before), along with(depending where you play) early warning devises(boobytraps). I would say they should have a 203, but in airsoft it is just a giant shotgun of uselessness unless firing projectiles at vehicles(may be needed in some OPs). Of course they need to carry a radio, along with spare radios and batteries. I think along with some of the other stuff already stated before me, covers what I think a spotter needs.

Edit: Forgot to go into the original question, in my mind the spotter should do just that, spot. They need to be able to find targets just as well as the sniper does. They also should be able to estimate wind speed and effect on the BB(this comes with a lot of practice in varying winds). sometimes the most important part is they need to be able to have enough fire power to give their team a fighting chance of survival if found and attacked. Obviously they need to be fluent on the radio and be able to call in sit-reps to leaders(I far to often hear people make reports that aren't understandable on the other end).

A separate thing I believe spotters should be used for(and I have used them in the past this way before) is use them as live bait. Have them in a different place then the sniper, where the fire from the suspected hot area will be diverted away from the sniper often giving him a clear shot on enemies. Many people don't think that is really a great idea, but I have seen it time and again, not only in sniper teams, work amazingly to reduce a few men that are restricting an area.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I also believe that spotters should carry a grenade or two. And smoke grenades (If allowed at your field).

A parascope might be incorporated into a spotter loadout, just because it reduces the profile of your body while looking over something.

And being able to take a SALUTE report fluently is also necessary. Many times I see guys on my field try and talk through the radio and they are either to stupid to send it or don't know what to say. One word to remedy this problem, Salute.

S- Size of enemy squad.

A- Action What are they doing?

L- Location, where are they at.

U- Not very important unless there are more than 2 teams.

T- Time What time did you see them.

E- Equipment What do they have, M203, Saw, Vehicle, etc.

He used an EoTech Chest rig, binos, Hokkatsu Bang grenades, smoke bombs, A&K M16, We-tech M9, a map(if necessary), Radioshack Radio, a parascope, and a Hydro pack. And a Ghillie scarf to use while wearing his boonie with elastic bands attached to it.

My spotter has lost time to play airsoft, so I don't have one any more. Tragedy... :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
quigly said:
A separate thing I believe spotters should be used for(and I have used them in the past this way before) is use them as live bait. Have them in a different place then the sniper, where the fire from the suspected hot area will be diverted away from the sniper often giving him a clear shot on enemies. Many people don't think that is really a great idea, but I have seen it time and again, not only in sniper teams, work amazingly to reduce a few men that are restricting an area.
Thats what COD kids are for! ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
deviant said:
quigly said:
Thats what COD kids are for! ;)
HAHAHA! That made me laugh. Perfect use for them. +1 for you. :)

But yeah, when the going gets tough, a diversion would help to get a few kills. Take the opposing squads thoughts to somewhere else, and hit them from behind. The best would be to make it seem like it was coming from the spotter, but are your shots, so they don't suspect anything. Might not be so realistic, but could really put the hurt into a squad.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
It's a great tactic to use. Just make sure your spotter is not in a position where he gets lit up instantly. The whole plan revolves around the spotter staying alive and being able to "distract" the opposing forces. So you cannot just stick the spotter in a bowl of oatmeal, and let the sniper be the one who gets out of the pickle.

With that said, it's a great tactic, if used correctly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.