Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all! I’m relatively new to airsoft, and I’ve seen people use both with nasty effects, but I’ve been wondering if spring snipers actually have any advantages over DMRs.

Obviously, DMRs have a big advantage in terms of ROF, but are springers more accurate?

From what I know, if you were going to build the most overpriced (semi-practical overpricing), the DMR would be more expensive… (I don’t know what sniper parts go to, but I know a bit about AEGs—$150 brushless motor, $80-$200 gears, $200 MOSFET, etc)…but that level of upgrades doesn’t really do much for overall performance.

So, is there a practical/performance reason to play a true sniper, or is it just the novelty? (No knocks on novelty. I wear a plate carrier…)

·
Registered
186 Posts
In my experience, typically springer has more air volume than DMRs. Idk about elongated gearboxes though such as A&K SR25 or AEG SVDs. AEGs would use up to 0,4g bbs, heavier and it might won't perform as effectively anymore while springers could use even more than 0,5g bbs. And heavier bb means it will travel more stable compared to lighter bb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my experience, typically springer has more air volume than DMRs. Idk about elongated gearboxes though such as A&K SR25 or AEG SVDs. AEGs would use up to 0,4g bbs, heavier and it might won't perform as effectively anymore while springers could use even more than 0,5g bbs. And heavier bb means it will travel more stable compared to lighter bb
I hadn’t thought of that. I’m familiar with using heavier BBs (.32-.38), but hadn’t thought of needing higher cylinder volume than the typical aeg full cylinder for BBs above .40.

I own an A&K SR-25, and it does have a bit more cylinder, but not that much more (10mm of length, ish?) Unsure how much it affects anything, as I’ve never shot anything heavier than .38 from any of my rifles.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I run a standard v2 length cylinder with porting, 310mm inner barrel, 13 teeth sector gear. I get 2,3J shooting 0,4g flat with M140 spring. I can easily hop 0,45 and above too.
I get 70% hit rate on a 10cm diameter target at 40m. You won't get better with a bolt action with same energy and bb.
Does require a little bit more knowledge than building a bolt action though, nowadays you could just do a textbook VSR build and all you have to do is make things fit and it will shoot decent. Can't do the same with a DMR.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would advise if you want to go with a DMR, better go down the HPA path, will be much easier to get the power out put, than with a regular AEG. With a boltaction (depending if you are going with a VSR or L96 platform), power and accuracy upgrading is pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
431 Posts
One thing no one has mentioned is simply what appeals more.

Personally bolt action is just soo much more satisfying and immersive.

Although I do plan to dmr an M14 AEG into a m21 style at one point but that's because they look awesome to me.

Pick whatever draws you in most as that will give you the most fun and that's the reason we play.

Minor edit: except a Barrett 50.cal build only people build like they do steroids 24/7 should use that all day.

·
Registered
209 Posts
but are springers more accurate?
No, they aren't more accurate than DMSs.
if spring snipers actually have any advantages
Only range advantage (~20m more effective range than DMRs) and easier than DMR, to make it silent.
to play a true sniper
You can't play a true sniper role in airsoft because of massive close ranges between sniper and targets. And that's where comes to play a super effective airsoft ghillie in order to overcome the disadvantage of bolt action rifle (low rate fire). Many military guys, I've met in fields that plays airsoft, are impressed by my homemade ghillie.
Sniper role is the hardest-MOST satisfying in airsoft. Is hilarious when you stealth kill players or take out 5-6 players 10m range without spotting you and wondering where shots came from... Not to mention what big delays-disruption--disorganization can cause a sniper to enemies.
With DMR you will get much more "kills".

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sniping in airsoft is really for the rewarding feeling rather than any objective advantage. Sure in some more reasonably set fields you can have a sniper rifle firing way hotter than anything else (maybe 3J over others), but wind and other external factors would have such a large effect to a mere plastic projectile having an AEG hosing down dozens of BB and observe the trajectory is almost always more reliable and effective, especially when AEGs can have hundreds of rounds for each mag.

But then again if a game is not fun then it'd be boring, and that's why we do sniping because it's fun

Reactions: Leo Greer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would advise if you want to go with a DMR, better go down the HPA path, will be much easier to get the power out put, than with a regular AEG. With a boltaction (depending if you are going with a VSR or L96 platform), power and accuracy upgrading is pretty straightforward.
I strongly considered HPA with my own custom build project, but I would have to either pick up an expensive air compressor, or drive 30 mins for every fill up, which put a damper on things for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run a standard v2 length cylinder with porting, 310mm inner barrel, 13 teeth sector gear. I get 2,3J shooting 0,4g flat with M140 spring. I can easily hop 0,45 and above too.
I get 70% hit rate on a 10cm diameter target at 40m. You won't get better with a bolt action with same energy and bb.
Does require a little bit more knowledge than building a bolt action though, nowadays you could just do a textbook VSR build and all you have to do is make things fit and it will shoot decent. Can't do the same with a DMR.
I’m learning that right now with my own attempt at a DMR build. I’m going a little bit of a different direction than you are; full V2 cylinder, M120, 407mm 6.01, high torque motor and 13:1 gears, shooting about 1.8J. I have a limit on what I’m willing to pay for BBs, so I’m trying to optimize the system for .32s-.36s. Yeah, I know I’m sacrificing optimal range and accuracy, but BBs are just too dang expensive once you get to a certain weight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, they aren't more accurate than DMSs.

Only range advantage (~20m more effective range than DMRs) and easier than DMR, to make it silent.

You can't play a true sniper role in airsoft because of massive close ranges between sniper and targets. And that's where comes to play a super effective airsoft ghillie in order to overcome the disadvantage of bolt action rifle (low rate fire). Many military guys, I've met in fields that plays airsoft, are impressed by my homemade ghillie.
Sniper role is the hardest-MOST satisfying in airsoft. Is hilarious when you stealth kill players or take out 5-6 players 10m range without spotting you and wondering where shots came from... Not to mention what big delays-disruption--disorganization can cause a sniper to enemies.
With DMR you will get much more "kills".
There’s a pretty serious DMR/sniper builder that plays at my local field who’s nasty with either. I can definitely understand that satisfaction there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m also trying to keep the build under 450fps with .2s, as being able to shoot with only a 50 foot MED is really useful at my home field… joule creep helps me out a bit.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
These days I prefer DMR by a long shot as I've been disappointed with basically all airsoft guns except my tricked out SSX23 and Polarstar setup. I quite like having 2 shots in the air at a time which improves hit rate, and just seems like more fun, but I do admit that it takes a lot of the struggle out of things.
A good DMR, especially an HPA one, will beat the living shit out of the most skilled sniper if you're both using the same BB weight, even if you're using a lower power. I do enjoy certain aspects of snipers though, but for now I'll use a DMR until I'm bored.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts