Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a SGG10 A2 per many of your suggestions as an intro gun. Tossed a Pinty 3-9x 40mm scope and a cheap 2 point cvlife sling (one quick release inserted in the right stock, the other end of the sling is just wrapped around the grip cause the carabeeener thing won't fit under the rail like that novy guy suggested). These are my initial thoughts:

Like the case, packaging and video instructionals are lightyears ahead of all the documentation provided with the other airsoft toys I've bought over my lifetime (exactly 4: 2 CYMA pump tri-shotties, a KJW 1911, and this here SSG10). I fucking hate machines so its nice of them to not assume I know what a hoppy IPA chamber is. I'll be happy if I go to my grave not knowing what a maple syrup tokyo Mario Bros CNC D&D piston head cylinder.

Disliked assembling stock and barrel. There were 3 whole machine screws that novy apologetically informed me that I had to screw myself because that fucker was too lazy to fly over to their warehouse in PA and assemble them himself. It wasn't easy. Got scared of stripping the screws and took me a while to realize not tightening the 3 screws enough was why bbs weren't chambering right. Maybe a little too much emphasis on DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN in the assemble video. I fucking hate machines.

Feels good in hand. The a1 is a few pounds lighter, my a2 feels robust and I don't think I'd been happy with a lighter gun (nor wit the 2-3 month wait time required to get one from novy- currently on backorder). That said, the BOLT PULL feels like they left some 80 grit sandpaper somewhere in there. Will some lube help? Works for gritty vaginas but needs constant reapp.

ACCURACY- A little underwhelming, if I can be honest, and I can. Didn't quite know what to expect; I've heard airsoft sniper =100 to 300 ft. under best conditions, that 80 yard hits are probable with a decent gun. As the SSG10 is my cherry popper, maybe my expectations were high: after zeroing and adjusting hoppiness slider to a bit past middle, and shooting HPA Biosexual .45 BB's, I found at 60 yards to be landing consistently inside a ring on my archery target about 1.5 feet in diameter. At 65 yards I had to arc my BB's a half foot to a full foot above the target. I went as far as 75 yards and found with about 2 foot of overshooting, I could hit the same 18" diameter circle, eh, about half the time. Definitely some side to side variance in the BB's flight, and I don't know how much of this is attributable to possibly being NOT LEVEL when shooting (I try to keep the crosshairs straight on the horizontal plane as I can, but I didn't pop $ for a barrel level yet. Are airsoft sniper guns that sensitive?)

POWER!! I dunno, I don't have a chrono. I got the 500+ fps (m160?) 2.8J spring I hope it shoots hot as advertised. I do have a finger, though, so I did the only test I had at my disposal and calculated its energy (in Joules): It stings. This test helped me formulate an opinion. My opinion, inchoate as my understanding of this game of running around a paint-littered field dressed as gi joe is, is that ya'll a bunch of pussies. Well, everyone who agreed on minimum engagement distances of 100+ feet. Now I have to bust out a tape measure before determining if it's safe enough to shoot you in the balls. Just strap on an extra pair of undies and your plate-carrier and take it like a man.

JUST THE TIP is orange and I was thinking about changing that, maybe with a crappy paintjob or maybe just with electric tape so I can always later reveal it in all its brilliant neon glory before the cops shoot me.

Heard a lot of hate about this novy guy on reddit, I don't know the backstory I guess he must have dwiddled some kids or supplied ISIS with plastic BB guns or something but as someone who knows fuckall I'm pretty tickled so far except for the having to turn those 3 screws myself. I like the simplicity and I'll pay for presentation: that's why at chipotle I tip the perky 20 year old honey but not the gloomy bald dude when they both serve the same burrito.

Won't know fo sho until I play with it and see how it measures up with all the assault rifles on the field, but I'm optimistic thus far despite its less than lazer accuracy. At least I will no doubt enjoy it more than the rented BB sprayer I used last time when I hit the field in Jersey this weekend. Foorah

·
Registered
47 Posts
For 2.8J the range seems too short for me. Can you overhop your bb so that they curve upwards? Usually an hu rubber needs a few hundred shots to settle in, so just shoot some more :)
If three screws annoy you, maybe a BASR is not the best idea. Usually these are more delicate and need more maintenance. Probably you will need a good mechanic or get into it ;)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
You want to use the cleaning rod it came with, or a wooden dowel, with paper towel or something.

I like to put paper towel in my barrels and then put it on a flat surface so I can pack down the towel with the cleaning rod.
Then simply push it through, and repeat until the towel is white when it comes out.

Also, feel free to use alcohol, water, or oil on the towel, with the final pass being a dry pass to get any of the cleaner out.
Acetone, gasoline, and Xylene can also be used, but only with a wooden rod as they'll melt the rod it comes with and you'll have plastic on the inside of the barrel making it worse than you started off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Heard a lot of hate about this novy guy on reddit, I don't know the backstory I guess he must have dwiddled some kids or supplied ISIS with plastic BB guns or something but as someone who knows fuckall I'm pretty tickled so far except for the having to turn those 3 screws myself.
My brother's only complaint with his A1 is the gritty bolt pull. He's done a lot of work trying to make it better, and it is better, but still not great. I love the A2 stock - it is a much nicer version of my gun's stock.

Anyway, all that to say is Novritsch gets a lot of hate because a lot of people are jealous of him. His business model is brilliant and that's why he makes a bunch of money - he takes all the annoying parts of buying/upgrading an airsoft gun and does it for you. I don't particularly love spending a lot of time screwing with my gun, and wasting money on incompatible parts, so the fact his company is setup so that you don't have to do that is huge, AFAIC.

Whereas with any other sniper you've got to do research and research and then gamble on parts purchasing - with Novritsch stuff you know exactly what you are getting. You want to buy a spring that you know will fit your gun? Easy, not only that but he's got a chart showing what kind of energy to expect out of it. I recently bought his SSP18 and have been very happy with the quality of the gun and instructional videos that are available to me.

If I can't get my current rifle shooting better than it is, I'm probably going to spring for the configuration you just bought. Or maybe an SSG96 - haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For 2.8J the range seems too short for me. Can you overhop your bb so that they curve upwards? Usually an hu rubber needs a few hundred shots to settle in, so just shoot some more :)
If three screws annoy you, maybe a BASR is not the best idea. Usually these are more delicate and need more maintenance. Probably you will need a good mechanic or get into it ;)
1 to 2 screws is just about right for me then I like a nap. 3 screws is a little excessive, unless she's a straight up 10.

As for the ssg10, I'll playbaround with the hop some more but the slippy slider was a bit past the halfway mark and the bbs were hitting 3-6" high at 35yards. Gonna try a game this weekend should get a better feel for its accuracy then, at least compared to all the aeg's on the field. Also, I'll get to chrono it

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You want to use the cleaning rod it came with, or a wooden dowel, with paper towel or something.

I like to put paper towel in my barrels and then put it on a flat surface so I can pack down the towel with the cleaning rod.
Then simply push it through, and repeat until the towel is white when it comes out.

Also, feel free to use alcohol, water, or oil on the towel, with the final pass being a dry pass to get any of the cleaner out.
Acetone, gasoline, and Xylene can also be used, but only with a wooden rod as they'll melt the rod it comes with and you'll have plastic on the inside of the barrel making it worse than you started off.
I was afraid I'd need those sunglass cleaning wipes. I'll give paper towel or cotton rag a try. You should do it after every game or few hundred shots?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I pretty much never clean my barrels unless I've just bought them or just lapped them, but I'd clean them if you start sucking.

I suggest you do the same, unless you think you got some sand or dirt in there as that'll scratch up the bore.

If you aren't happy with accuracy I recommend that you get a wooden rod that's a decent fit in the barrel and a bit longer, and coat it in car or metal polish like Nu Finish, Meguirssshdjzhheh or however tf you spell it, Brasso, or some 5-20 micron diamond paste.
Then simply push the rod in and out and you'll be golden😏

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My brother's only complaint with his A1 is the gritty bolt pull. He's done a lot of work trying to make it better, and it is better, but still not great. I love the A2 stock - it is a much nicer version of my gun's stock.

Anyway, all that to say is Novritsch gets a lot of hate because a lot of people are jealous of him. His business model is brilliant and that's why he makes a bunch of money - he takes all the annoying parts of buying/upgrading an airsoft gun and does it for you. I don't particularly love spending a lot of time screwing with my gun, and wasting money on incompatible parts, so the fact his company is setup so that you don't have to do that is huge, AFAIC.

Whereas with any other sniper you've got to do research and research and then gamble on parts purchasing - with Novritsch stuff you know exactly what you are getting. You want to buy a spring that you know will fit your gun? Easy, not only that but he's got a chart showing what kind of energy to expect out of it. I recently bought his SSP18 and have been very happy with the quality of the gun and instructional videos that are available to me.

If I can't get my current rifle shooting better than it is, I'm probably going to spring for the configuration you just bought. Or maybe an SSG96 - haven't decided yet.
Yeah the bolt definately doesn't feel great. I bought some yamaha moly lube for some reason, will lubing her up help?

I wouldnt call the novy model brilliant- its the same thing biznass peeps that like money have been doing for years. Making shit simple, cater to laziness and tardation, make up for increased cost with volume. Thats how amazon does it. Except here with some level of quality control. Amzon will sell a dog turd

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pretty much never clean my barrels unless I've just bought them or just lapped them, but I'd clean them if you start sucking.

I suggest you do the same, unless you think you got some sand or dirt in there as that'll scratch up the bore.

If you aren't happy with accuracy I recommend that you get a wooden rod that's a decent fit in the barrel and a bit longer, and coat it in car or metal polish like Nu Finish, Meguirssshdjzhheh or however tf you spell it, Brasso, or some 5-20 micron diamond paste.
Then simply push the rod in and out and you'll be golden😏
Heard in another video and in one of the videos on their site that the orange tip can sometimes interfere with the bb, because with the lovely high visibility paint coat on there, it is sometimes too narrow. Don't know if sometimes means all time sorry we fucked up or if its a rare case. I Think I can handle knocking the pin in, heating, removing and stripping/drilling it. If it helps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought for a friend, as he can't purchase online, the SSG10 (2.8j-500ft/sec). I had the chance to test it out of the box right away (zero mods). I just cleaned the inner barrel with kitchen paper.
I used 0.40gr bbs, applying half hopup adjustment. The bb was able to reach 60m and hit the target. The bb trajectory was fine for this distance. I've also notice that bb was dropping rapidly after the 60m.

It is advertised that provides Supreme Accuracy: I didn't notice supreme accuracy but just a good accuracy. It shoots good.
It is advertised that maintains Airseal: Indeed (I performed the finger block sealed barrel trick). It is fine-very good!
It is advertised that is Quiet: No it isn't quiet.
It is advertised that is Light: Yes, it is ridiculously light! Its great!
I didn't like the scope rail that is cut on the middle. You can install only scopes with separated rings.
It is said that is the top choice Out of the Box: I don't know for sure but I wouldn't claim this.

I would say that is just a good rifle Out of the Box for the players that want to avoid too much researching/experimenting/risk of self upgrading/risk of compatibilities/time/spend a lot of money etc...

I like the trigger.
The bolt pull is easy but a little bit gritty & noisy...

Based on what I've read and see in Utube I expected much-much more from the SSG10 out of the box. In general is good but need work to be in high class upgraded rifles. So we must be cautious-wary and not believe 100% the marketing-videos around the SSG10. Τhere is exaggeration.

The same applies for SSG24 and SSX23 (mentioning only the products that I've tested from Nov's company).
These platforms don't achieve 100% what they claim they achieve.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought for a friend, as he can't purchase online, the SSG10 (2.8j-500ft/sec). I had the chance to test it out of the box right away (zero mods). I just cleaned the inner barrel with kitchen paper.
I used 0.40gr bbs, applying half hopup adjustment. The bb was able to reach 60m and hit the target. The bb trajectory was fine for this distance. I've also notice that bb was dropping rapidly after the 60m.

It is advertised that provides Supreme Accuracy: I didn't notice supreme accuracy but just a good accuracy. It shoots good.
It is advertised that maintains Airseal: Indeed (I performed the finger block sealed barrel trick). It is fine-very good!
It is advertised that is Quiet: No it isn't quiet.
It is advertised that is Light: Yes, it is ridiculously light! Its great!
I didn't like the scope rail that is cut on the middle. You can install only scopes with separated rings.
It is said that is the top choice Out of the Box: I don't know for sure but I wouldn't claim this.

I would say that is just a good rifle Out of the Box for the players that want to avoid too much researching/experimenting/risk of self upgrading/risk of compatibilities/time/spend a lot of money etc...

I like the trigger.
The bolt pull is easy but a little bit gritty & noisy...

Based on what I've read and see in Utube I expected much-much more from the SSG10 out of the box. In general is good but need work to be in high class upgraded rifles. So we must be cautious-wary and not believe 100% the marketing-videos around the SSG10. Τhere is exaggeration.

The same applies for SSG24 and SSX23 (mentioning only the products that I've tested from Nov's company).
These platforms don't achieve 100% what they claim they achieve.
Same goes for any marketing. It seems not terribly egregious here. Its my first buy but I was thinking about the same, without any prior experience, I decided the same thing regarding the bolt pull, rail, noise. But I guess those aren't deal breakers for me. Didn't know what to expect with accuracy, but everyone else at the field today echoed what some here have said: that that 60-70 yard accuracy is good, not to expect too much more

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I got to try the ssg10 out for the first time on the field down in south jersey. What I found (and Im sure yall already know): The small improvement in range and qccuracy over an aeg is such that it is very easy for the aeg to make up for in speed and firepower. I say speed in like target acquisition sense because in the time it took me to look down the barrel and find the opponent I just spotted unaided, he's had time to squeeze off 2 or 3 from the hip or dot, miss, adjust his aim, and maybe lob one of the next 5 into me. Definitely small margins. Don't know if there's any distance where the aeg can't reasonably hit me and I can hit them, but if that sweet spot of 60-70yards is it, its damn hard to estimate and harder still to get someone in that range to hold still for me.
I guess the element of surprise is really then where it pays to have a boltie as you can make the most out of your first and probably give away shot. Maybe time to remove my orange tip

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I recommend that you look at lapping your barrel, shimming your hop arm(maybe make my nub too), adding a 2021 Maple Leaf of your choice in 70°+.

I'd also recommend that you look at making a one piece receiver as mentioned in THIS VIDEO.
He for some reason deleted the better version, but oh well.

And lastly, look at bumping your power and BB weight as close to the field limit as possible, as that's where your range really comes from, besides hop of course.
With optimal tuning you can pull off 85 yards with relative ease, 90 with some difficulty, and 100, 110, and 120 with a whole lot of luck.
Back in my days of a shitty VSR clone and shitty everything with a Wolverine BOLT I managed to smoke a guy in the neck at 114 yards confirmed with cheap and awful .43g, but that was purely luck on the first shot.

As for where AEGs step off, they don't, but that's if you count a magdump for a possible hit with tons of arcing.
The main advantage of sniping is sound and accuracy/effective range, not exactly maximum range, so it does take a bit of practice to become effective.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So I got to try the ssg10 out for the first time on the field down in south jersey. What I found (and Im sure yall already know): The small improvement in range and qccuracy over an aeg is such that it is very easy for the aeg to make up for in speed and firepower. I say speed in like target acquisition sense because in the time it took me to look down the barrel and find the opponent I just spotted unaided, he's had time to squeeze off 2 or 3 from the hip or dot, miss, adjust his aim, and maybe lob one of the next 5 into me. Definitely small margins. Don't know if there's any distance where the aeg can't reasonably hit me and I can hit them, but if that sweet spot of 60-70yards is it, its damn hard to estimate and harder still to get someone in that range to hold still for me.
I guess the element of surprise is really then where it pays to have a boltie as you can make the most out of your first and probably give away shot. Maybe time to remove my orange tip
Most snipers have maybe 10m-20m if effective range advantage over aegs. The real advantage comes from stealth and being in the mind set of slow and blending in rather than run forward hold trigger.

I also don't think you need a ghillie suit to blend in as most Airsofters look for either bright/not natural colors (i.e skin or anything that doesn't match your surroundings in any way like a blue gun) or movement.
Simple colored clothing to match your environment works as long as you use shadows or bushes etc to avoid detection.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I recommend that you look at lapping your barrel, shimming your hop arm(maybe make my nub too), adding a 2021 Maple Leaf of your choice in 70°+.

I'd also recommend that you look at making a one piece receiver as mentioned in THIS VIDEO.
He for some reason deleted the better version, but oh well.

And lastly, look at bumping your power and BB weight as close to the field limit as possible, as that's where your range really comes from, besides hop of course.
With optimal tuning you can pull off 85 yards with relative ease, 90 with some difficulty, and 100, 110, and 120 with a whole lot of luck.
Back in my days of a shitty VSR clone and shitty everything with a Wolverine BOLT I managed to smoke a guy in the neck at 114 yards confirmed with cheap and awful .43g, but that was purely luck on the first shot.

As for where AEGs step off, they don't, but that's if you count a magdump for a possible hit with tons of arcing.
The main advantage of sniping is sound and accuracy/effective range, not exactly maximum range, so it does take a bit of practice to become effective.
In time, perhaps. A 70° maple leaf what, btw? Hop arm?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also don't think you need a ghillie suit to blend in as most Airsofters look for either bright/not natural colors (i.e skin or anything that doesn't match your surroundings in any way like a blue gun) or movement.
I've had people nearly step on me in a black shirt and BDU trousers more than a few times. That said, I finally embraced the ghillie hood this year and it is pretty incredible what kind of stuff it allows you to get away with. Worth the effort for sure

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you want butter smooth boltpull, take off the stock, take off the trigger box, and wrap a sticker around the spring guide stopper (about 2-3 layers) on the part where you see wear. Before you do this mod and after you remove the trigger box pull the cylinder out of the receiver to make sure the O-rings are smoother if they are this mod will work. Put the trigger box back on the receiver, you want a tight fit, but if you can't put it back, remove a layer of sticker.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts