Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today some .888g 6mm (5.97)steel ball bearings I ordered from AliExpress arrived, and I was able to test them in my SSX23, my shitty spring VSR-10 with Airsoft Philosopher hop and barrel combo, and my Wolverine BOLT G-spec.
The SSX23 and springer aren't worth mentioning as I lost joules and couldn't add any hop, but the BOLT was surprisingly good.

With a 300mm Action Army barrel and a really worn out Deception 60°, I was able to get the steel BB to hop flattish to about 40m at 3.84J, and on the same hop setting I was able to get 3.48J with a .48g BLS brand BB.
Accuracy was okay and the BBs were hard to see, but boy was the FPS consistency good, I was getting duplicates as long as I held the bolt handle with the same pressure each time.

My next goal is to make an ER hop and even longer SS-arm contact surface to hopefully add adequate hop before jamming the ball, so then I may be able to shoot to like 150m or something like that.

Here's some screenshots from an app I like showing the differences between .48g and .888g, and why .888g is dangerous to play with and how short your effective range is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was actually thinking of trying this out before but a new job got in the way. The ceramic BB's are too expensive and the heaviest bb is 0.50g so its effective range is little bit above 100m. There are stainless steel bearings 6mm which are around the same as those you got (0.88g) which can be found cheap in large quantities but dangerous AF in the closer ranges. Even the 0.50g are sometimes dangerous if you miscalculate the distance of the target. There is also brass which is more around 0.97g and that is too heavy. So the search for a heavier, cheaper and possibly white BB continues :unsure:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The biggest reason to not use steel balls as ammo (aside from getting kicked out of every field you'd play at) is that they rust. The only way to prevent rust is to keep them oiled; and oil is what your hop up hates most. It's just not a good combo.
Yeah, I wiped these off with acetone and a paper towel to get off oil and dust so I could get hop, so I doubt they would survive out in the open that long.
On the plus side, they are probably the best for the environment as iron is everywhere naturally.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually thinking of trying this out before but a new job got in the way. The ceramic BB's are too expensive and the heaviest bb is 0.50g so its effective range is little bit above 100m. There are stainless steel bearings 6mm which are around the same as those you got (0.88g) which can be found cheap in large quantities but dangerous AF in the closer ranges. Even the 0.50g are sometimes dangerous if you miscalculate the distance of the target. There is also brass which is more around 0.97g and that is too heavy. So the search for a heavier, cheaper and possibly white BB continues :unsure:
I already think it looks difficult to play with .69g, and with .88g it looks damn near impossible as you'd have to range every single shot with a rangefinder so you wouldn't injure somebody, and you wouldn't ever be able to find a field that was cool with that unless you were in the Philippines or Sweden where people are crazy.

Next time I order stuff from AliExpress, I'll probably get $50 worth of these balls and I'll definitely make an ER-hop on a new barrel I am making and see how well I can shoot these, and how long it takes to scratch my barrel without shooting a ridiculous amount of regular BBs.

So yeah, hopefully I can hit that 150m shed one of these days.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I already think it looks difficult to play with .69g, and with .88g it looks damn near impossible as you'd have to range every single shot with a rangefinder so you wouldn't injure somebody, and you wouldn't ever be able to find a field that was cool with that unless you were in the Philippines or Sweden where people are crazy.

Next time I order stuff from AliExpress, I'll probably get $50 worth of these balls and I'll definitely make an ER-hop on a new barrel I am making and see how well I can shoot these, and how long it takes to scratch my barrel without shooting a ridiculous amount of regular BBs.

So yeah, hopefully I can hit that 150m shed one of these days.
Ya, when I use 0.69s I'm very careful with my engagement distance. I normally try to double the minimum engagement distance and will put the rifle down in any close range scenario. Luckily most of the games I play at are very open areas so it's not much of an issue. Any time I'm forced to crawl through trees or brush I'll sling the rifle and just pull the pistol. I'm not out there to make shots hurt, just to extend my maximum range.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, definitely.

Idk about you, but I make my own MED where the BB is at 1J at that range.
Similar to getting point blanked by a pistol, at least I think so.

But yeah, it's most definitely easier and about as good to use ceramics over steel as they are quite visible and don't have as good energy retention.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its always been possible, fields dont allow it and im thankful they dont. Fun to use around the range and the backyard though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, I certainly can't wait for the results. Last weekend I accidentally shot a guy in the hand with 0.50g at a mid/long range and he didn't have gloves (he is a new player) it did leave a nice mark and blood was visible so I think that even if I bought the 0.69 I wont use them. And my handgun is broken so im kinda limited to my sniper for now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, I wiped these off with acetone and a paper towel to get off oil and dust so I could get hop, so I doubt they would survive out in the open that long.
On the plus side, they are probably the best for the environment as iron is everywhere naturally.
But steel takes a while to corrode and return to the soil. If you want to be green I suggest using biodegradible PLA bbs. I'm a 3d printer and I know quite alot about different plastics including PLA. All I'll warn you of is with your cleaning method of using acetone might break down your bbs as they fly, but it should be fine if you let the barrel evaporate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts