Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon.

First post, but I have just got back into bolties after a long time absent (sold my previous VSR 4 years ago). Bought an old TM VSR for a bargain price and have been playing about with it.

I bought an aftermarket steel spring guide the other day ( this one) and fitted it today. Now when cocking the rifle it takes twice as much effort as before, with all the same components bar the spring guide.

is it just a badly fitting spring guide, or do I need to remove a little material to make the action smoother?. The stock plastic spring guide is a lot, lot easier to cock than the new steel one.

There is nothing obviously wrong with the new spring guide, it just seems to have more resistance to it when cocking!

Is there any necessity of having a steel spring guide. Having fired 400 rounds with the current set up, the stock plastic spring guide does not look to have suffered at all. Is there any reported failings of the stock spring guide?

My set up:
Action Army Zero Trigger + Piston
Stock TM bolt.
Element m145 spring.

Shoots 560fps on a .2g BB through an X3200 chrono ( I kid you not, there must be no air leaks..)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
What is the diameter of the spring?

The spring isn't binding up on the guide or inside the piston?

It may be that the spring is to long for the cylinder, thus making it a lot harder to get the rifle to cock. Can you use the stock spring and get better bolt pull?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Take the spring and spring guide out of the cylinder. Check to make sure the spring slides smoothly over the guide and there are no rough spots. If there are, sand it a bit and maybe put some grease on it. The page for the spring guide says " suitable for both 7mm and 9mm springs." The 9mm springs must be very loose on it. Which are you using?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys:

In answer to the questions:
@Lightbulb. Yep, lubed up thoroughly.

@Woogie: Not sure, it may be too long. It racks and cocks fine with the stock spring guide. I will try with the stock spring later today.

@Masterjuggler98: Will try that shortly. The spring is 9mm and sat on the spring guide comfortably.

My thoughts on this is that the Action Army zero trigger has a pretty poorly designed spring guide stopper. Comparing it to the laylax one I have, it has no indent for the little nub on the guide to sit into. It also has a weird tapered shape compared to the laylax straight shape. See image below:

Another thing I noticed was that if you tap the stopper fully in, it would prevent the bolt racking at all. I presume this is because the AA trigger stopper is an odd shape, forcing the spring guide to sit slanted.

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My AA trigger needed its spring guide stopper filling down in order to cock at all (was too tight for the cylinder.

I have also read that you should not fully push the stopper up - try pulling it down a little bit.

Have you changed it over a number of times (plastic and steel?) could it just be luck that the o ring got caught when you used the steel version (obviously unlikely if you tried it both ways twice!)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.