Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on the best ways to strip off paint from ABS plastic for a re-paint?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Any suggestions on the best ways to strip off paint from ABS plastic for a re-paint?
DOT4 brake fluid, the kind used in most cars, you need to let it soak in a bath of some sort for a while until it activates the paint, but that should work and not damage the plastic underneath.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mineral spirits might work we use it to get paint off the shop floor

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone recommended Lacquer Thinner or Denatured Alcohol. You guys have any info on these two?

I'll look more into your suggestions. I'm planning to paint many things so I'm trying to find the best method :shot:.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well the DOT4 is what I use to strip the paint off my sons and mine plastic Warhammer models when we fancy a change of camo, so I know it works, but then they are only painted with acrylics :shrug:

I guess it largely depends in what type of paint your trying to strip off what type of plastic

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the DOT4 is what I use to strip the paint off my sons and mine plastic Warhammer models when we fancy a change of camo, so I know it works, but then they are only painted with acrylics :shrug:
I'm definitely going to try your method on my other paint projects :tup:. Sounds quite interesting and it's proven to work :)

Most people online have been recommending acrylic thinners, but only a handful have mentioned lacquer thinner and I never understood why.

But just recently, I came upon a post mentioning that Krylon Fusion for Plastics (the spray paint I use for plastic body stocks) is a lacquer based paint. Soooo... apparently Lacquer thinner should work. :shrug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.