Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making barrels the last two days, and I've finally found a quick and very easy method.

It's as simple as finding a 1/4 inch wooden dowel and sanding it to like 6.1mm by hand (only us Americans have to do this, just use 6mm), slap your barrel in a lathe, and put the dowel in your barrel with whatever lapping compound or paste that you prefer.

Also make sure to clean the barrel pretty well between lapping grits, and change your dowel between grits.
But that's it, it's the best method I've tried in the past year and a half I've been trying.

And here's a cross section of a chunk of my barrel material, lapped to only 20 micron.

The right barrel is an EdGi, supposedly lapped to 7 micron.
Next is PDI, lapped to 20 micron but for some reason mine looks like EdGi.
I think the next are Prometheus and Angel Custom, considered good but not really that awesome compared to EdGi, PDI, and my stuff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ah yes, let me just get out the lathe I have lying around.
Was about to make this same joke. Drill and vice has been my lapping go to - must be nice to have a lathe ;)

are you using a length of dowel the same length as the barrel or a short piece attached to something?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using a barrel sized piece, but I hit it from both ends for maximum coverage.

For selling, hell yeah I'll sell these, already made one for a customer today and sent out @Blind Sniper 's today.

I can do from 0-300mm for my 16mm stock, and I can do 0-500mm for my 12mm stock, and I can machine the black piece of an AA chamber into the barrel but it's not ideal as AA has pretty bad tolerances over the years.

I've got these sizes right now, so if you want one you can buy one from me and expect it shipped in a week or two.
For prices, $145+ whatever shipping you want for any barrel.
2X 16mm
1X 12mm

I'll also lap barrels if I feel like it, but I don't really feel like being responsible for a $150 PDI barrel so I may not.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't going by the black piece, I was using gage pins to measure the chamber ID in the different steps, and my 2019 chamber was significantly different from my chamber I won last year creating a wobble in my new one with the barrel I made.
Nothing Teflon tape can't fix, but it's really annoying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts