Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is pretty much written in a guy's DNA to love carbon fiber and TiN...

so I tried some things and fabricated a custom made 6.005 Carbon Fiber tightbore barrel to my little sister's VSR-10 clone.

I have yet to do tolerance testing, but I can tell you that it works better than the Deep Fire and Laylax tighbores I have tried on that rifle. I've decided to make a few prototypes of them exclusively for the MiA guys, and the Airsoft Sniper Forum. (asuming anyone would be interested)

now, because these barrels are so tight, I will only be able to guarentee these things if they are to be used on bolt action replicas ONLY. (which is pretty much what I made it for). but here is the catch, I will only start making these if I can get a minimum of 5 people to purchase them

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm interested as well. Let us know a ballpark price, I've got a Maruzen APS-2 SV with a 200mm silencer. So whatever would fit that length is cool. I shoot .43 teflon coated, so I don't think bb error would be a huge deal. Just shoot us a ballpark price estimate and I might have to jump on this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can cut them to pretty much any length you want.

I'm also working on larger inner diameter barrels for AEGs and Systemas. But that is still being worked out. I'd have to make another blank, so once I get access to a lathe or CNC machine, I'll be able to make some large ID ones.
In terms of cost, they will be initially sold for how much I paid for the materials, so probably around $40

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it would be going in your Maruzen right? ive got a guy that will loan me his Maruzen's inner barrel so i can make the accurate cuts needed for the hopup. because carbon fiber can not be spun on a lathe (the fibers get caught and snag), everything has to be cut and refined by hand for now until i can figure out a new system.

if you are to buy one before '08, it would be $40 + shipping because of the intro price thing ive got going. after that, the price would go to $0.12 per mm or $84.00 for the 700mm barrel you requested.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10+mm???

what is it going in? pretty much all guns only have room for an 8mm outer diameter.

TiN is wayyyyy too expencive. once i can perfect and start bringing in some money from these barrels, ill start messing around with the Titanium.

as for pictures, there really isnt anything to show. they basically just look like a matte black tube with light grey stripes (looks like this because of the sanding process). im trying to get a better substance i can work with though so i can keep that awesome carbon fiber look

·
Registered
81 Posts
Carbon fiber is not the strongest material let me tell you that. I had a guy who was going to fabricate an M24 stock made of carbon fiber for my maruzen l96 and it was shipped improperly, and when I finaly got in the mail, it wall beaten up and broken, just sent it back and got my money. :-/

The barrels are fine I guess being protected by the barrel. if you ship them it would be nice if you could wrap it in cloth of foam and put it in a PVC pipe or something.

Also, it would be great if you could make it thick walled or have built in barrel spacers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
"It is pretty much written in a guy's DNA to love carbon fiber and TiN... "

I though you were implying you would make TiN TBBs too.

Yes, most TBB have an OD of 8mm, but there are some other companys that have increased this to decrease vibrations to improve accuracy. edGI is one of these companies and I also believe PDI is doing this as well for some of their TBBs. But I could be wrong. Here are some links
http://www.putfile.com/crimsonfalcon07/images/102114
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/index.php?topic=47850.0
http://www.x-fire.org/vsr10/e.pro_04inner_430.html

I'm not trying to send business away from you. I am just trying to give you new ideas that other people are offering. They have to make the section that enters the hopup and the barrel cap stock OD but with custom barrel spacers you could do about anything. Anyway, I was just curious. But since I'm on that line of thought, would you consider making a TBB with a larger OD if I sent you the desired deminsions?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they will be shipped with a 5mm plastic rod in the middle (so it will not crush, dent, or bend)and wrapped in bubble wrap, then placed in a plastic tube, and placed in a box of foam peanuts.
the first barrel i made was suprisingly sturdy. if i held one far end, the other end did not sag at all. so if i can keep them that strong, everything should be good.

Edit: I do plan on making a TiN tightbore, but at the moment, im just focusing on carbon fiber. I guess that the same principal for RS would work for airsoft. (thicker barrel = less vibrations).

but anyway, i could make a larger OD barrel but it may cost a little more because I would need more materials to create the barrel with.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You need to experiment with teflon + carbon fiber. Because when I upgrade my rifle im going to be looking for a teflon inner barrel as a replacement for my PDI 6.04 Tightbore. If you can get that down I may purchase one.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive thought about that. the problem with teflon is that in order to actually ply it to something, it needs a lot more heat than carbon fiber can take.

but ill keep working on that. i was thinking about putting a paper thin layer of teflon and wrapping it in the carbon fiber for added strength. it also saves about a half a pound of weight

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah.. I can see it being alot tougher to workaround especially when working with .01mm increments. Keeping it a uniform, fine, but long lasting layer could be very difficult. Maybe I could order one of your barrels and try some teflon techniques of my own if I have the extra cash.

Right now Im purchasing Christmas gifts, Girlfriends Birthday gift (30th of December), and paying for a Zero Trigger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.