Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting my first sniper rifle and was looking at the Tanaka M700 A.I.C.S.

*background*I have been playing airsoft for a while and started with a ICS mp5, then went to a TM AUG SR, and over time realized that just by the way I've adapted to playing, I should consider a sniper rifle.

My Buddy told me about the g-spec and how i could easily upgrade it to shoot with a 170 or 190 for about 300 ish in upgrades, with the gun going around 220.

Some say it is hard to pull back and others don't so i wouldn't know until i tried one for myself, I guess it really depends on how strong you are.

I like the fact that with gas guns that have the FPS control( can't think of the name of it at the time) you can get your gun shooting exactly where you want it. Also if you play in large fields with buddies, you can crank it up a bit to get longer reach.
Also, in the other aspect, you can turn it down for an OP that has FPS limits.

Anyways to the point, I live in north west Ohio and from time to time play with Michigan players, so some if not all of you know how the weather is here. If I was to use Red Gas on that rifle, would it still shoot at least 4-500's when it is like 20 degree's out? Also, what upgrades, if any, would I need to do to make it shoot with red gas without the gun internals blowing up. I would much rather use a gas gun due to all the reviews and forums I have looked through, I just think it would work better for me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

****note- i know in normal 70+ degrees I have heard that gun to shoot 6-700+ fps with .2's
. I would plan on using red gas in the winter to try to break even with green gas when it's warmer, I don't plan on killing anyone with it, or leaving bloody welts, that's just crappy. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awsome, thanks for the input, unless i get an email from this guy whos selling an upgraded mauzen type 96 thats got a ton of upgrades for cheap- ill be getting the tanaka

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you're one of the Michigan guys and you play using MIA rules, you won't be allowed to use that on Red or Green gas. If you're just an airsofter w/o a team or affiliation that plays with friends then I suggest you let them know how hot it's shooting before you play. This rifle can be quite dangerous if not put in the right hands. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
well, its true that the latest tanakas do have fps control, but, the gas outputs are inconsistent, giving you a range of fps that it will shoot. One shot will be 550, next 520, so on. i would highly reccommend getting a tightbore, then the best gun hopup. Tightbore is the most important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do plan on getting both upgrade shortly after i purshase the gun. I normally play with the guys in Toledo, but play up north from time to time. I did not realise you couldn't use green gas however, and with every shot, does it frop 20-30 fps each shot? I know it isn't as close of FPS each shot as a spring, but I didn't realise that it gets weaker every shot, I may reconsider it if that's the case.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I've shot a Tanaka M24 with propane, it shot 540 fps with .30's.

I don't think a gas rifle will work consistently in the winter. However i am buying a M700 and going to give it a test, but i still have my AI 96 to back her up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well, its true that the latest tanakas do have fps control, but, the gas outputs are inconsistent, giving you a range of fps that it will shoot. One shot will be 550, next 520, so on. i would highly reccommend getting a tightbore, then the best gun hopup. Tightbore is the most important.
Shooting a stock M700 with green will put you above 500. Getting a tightbore (from what Knief has told me) on a Gas Replica, will considerably increase the FPS on it. So, for a Tanaka, it really is NOT most important.

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT using any sort of gas sniper in the winter, for two main reasons.

First off, for starters, I have heard, seen, and dealt with people who have blown their o-rings. That would be loads of fun to spend that kind of money on a rifle, and have it blow an o-ring within the first magazine on the field (have had it happen, though not personally with me, but a teammate).

Second off, I shot and chronoed my teammates M700 in the winter, running 134a, and it shot about 250, which is extremely low as seeing it shot just about DOUBLE that in the summer. He bumped it up into green gas, and the thing barely shot 350ish. Definately not that great of an FPS range for a sniper rifle. The thing also was shooting inconsistent as hell, and also, wildly. It was very inaccurate. There are ways to protect your rifle from blowing o-rings and all that jazz, but IMHO, definately not worth it. Replacing those suckers is tedious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, after more thought into it, I'm pretty sure Im going for the maruzen type 96 or g-spec, though I'm leaning twords the type 96. Thanks for all the input so i didn't make a bad buy. =)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey.. I live in michigan and use a tanaka m24.. It does fine for me in the winter.. I'm using green gas and it has a tight bore.. but i mean its really good in the winter.. I havent seen it in the summer yet so im really excited to see its capabilities.. but the tanakas have some adaptor i forget the name for it... but it makes it work better in the cold and also more consistant.. I'm using .3's and .43's with mine and its getting great range and an fps that makes it wiz when in goes by

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.