Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news, everyone, my Javelin Gun Works M24 finally got here. The rest of my gear is still being stalled, probably won't see it until the middle of June, unfortunately. But, I'm doing what I can with what I've got. Take a look at my new gal:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thus far:
+ Replaced stock socket screws, weren't grabbing the barrel enough
+ Replaced stock swivel mounts
+ Added 3-9x40 scope
+ Attached paracord sling, woven by yours truly
+ Sanded off plastic flash, it was blocking proper bolt function
+ Added cheek pad, will adjust accordingly after target practice

I'm belaying actually going out and firing the thing, for a few reasons.
A). I have no silicone spray with which to clean and lubricate my rifle, and I'd like to have a worthy weapon before I start scoping it in.
B). My girl is naked right now, I'd like her wearing some camouflage evening wear before I show her off.
C). I'm guessing it's a bad idea to use the brandless bbs that come stock with the rifle, they look less-than-perfect...
D). Gotta buy some targets! Hoping a sporting goods place has some paper ones for me.

I'll throw in some updates as my gear arrives and my rifle evolves. Much love to the people whose advice has helped me out thus far.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Pick up some white lithium grease. Works great on the cylinder unit. I like it a lot more than silicon spray, and is extremely effective, cheap, and lasts a life time. Highly recommended, just take a trip to your local hardware store.

As for the gun itself. Get rid of the orange tip as soon as your warranty is up. Grab a harris style bipod and you have yourself a sexy rifle. Some paint would be a nice touch, as well as some veg. But I realize you just got her, and these will come with time. ;)

By the way, take those brandless bbs you got with your rifle and throw them into a black hole. You will thank me later.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already tossed those suckers out, they look suspicious as hell. I have a bipod already purchased, it's just... I bought it in a bulk purchase, which is the one that's currently stuck in UPS limbo. T.T

Also, the sling mounts on this gun appear to be, for lack of a better term, fake. They don't fit any of 3 spare brands of sling mounts I had lying around. Luckily, the bipod I got comes with an adapter to just slip over the barrel.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be looking through the hardware store tomorrow. I don't suppose that stuff would work for propane adapter use, would it?

And yeah, picking up some spray paint and primer tomorrow. I'm gonna have to make a hella weird camo job for Colorado. We got everything from pine trees and aspens, to desert sage and sand... in the same 500ft square piece of land. >>;;;

*Also, still gotta tape off the scope, but I'm saving that for when I get some time to sight it in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Er, wait, cautionary bump... isn't white lithium petroleum based? Wouldn't that, like, melt any plastic parts in my rifle? D:

I think the cylinder in this gun is entirely plastic, though I can't confirm that until I open it up.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
jackknife09 said:
Er, wait, cautionary bump... isn't white lithium petroleum based? Wouldn't that, like, melt any plastic parts in my rifle? D:

I think the cylinder in this gun is entirely plastic, though I can't confirm that until I open it up.
Been using it on my cylinder for almost a year now. No harm has been done to it, and my cylinder is plastic. I know a few other guys roll with white lithium grease as well. I believe you may be referring to the regular lithium grease, which is brown. I read up about how white was very different from it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in the process of trying to re-braid my sling, the last attempt didn't look strong enough. But once I'm done there, it's on to cleaning and lubricating the internals.

I'm also coating the rifle body in primer, just to get a head start. I've picked a light green, desert tan and dark brown. I think as long as I break it up with some foliage patterns, it'll look appropriate. The pines don't hang low, but they do shed a lot. Looking around Colorado forests, you see a lot of dry soil, some wet, some dark and light grasses, ferns, shrubs, and in the summer, a lot of dried branches.

So, I'm thinking sand tan, a few stripes of green, and a lot of foliage patterning with the dark brown. In sun, it should displace the contours of the rifle, and in shade, it should darken and look like tree debris.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So like, tan, khaki and dark brown? All desert-y, plus rubber bands to attach vegetation? I suppose that could work too... I'll see how the thing looks when it has the tan on, before I decide on the green.

Right now I'm peeling my way through the awesome amount of internals in this som'bitch. The one o-ring I found is resting in some silicone looking healthy. The cylinder head on this gun - for anyone who might also buy this brand - has had a black plastic piece affixed with really nasty glue. It's chipping off like a mother and some of the flak was already contaminating the cylinder when I opened it.

Another cautionary mark; the sling on the very front, where a bipod should attach, is way too small to fit a harris-style. The barrel, unlike the ECHO M24, doesn't have notches for barrel-affixed bipods, either, and it's tapered, unlike the real M24.

So, the way its looking, the bipod is gonna have to be mounted waaay the hell down the barrel, closer to the muzzle, because the rest of the barrel is just too thick without those grooves.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And we're done. Total time to strip, clean, re-lubricate and paint, about 12 hours; lunch, dinner, and a viewing of Saving Private Ryan included.

Now, time to attach the cheek pad and make sure it doesn't sag, tape off the scope with some OD hundred-mile-an-hour tape I found, and throw on some rubber bands for veg. My bb's got here this morning, so I'll be taking her out to the woods to scope in and adjust my hop-up pretty soon.

Many thanks for everyone's assistance thus far. <3

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you like it! My only regret is that there's a few parts without branch breakup... I'll get those with a spray or two tomorrow, I suppose.

Also, I don't think I lubed the cylinder enough, 'cause the bolt pull is like 45% heavier now. D:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Having the bi-pod so far forward is going to make your rifle crazy front end heavy (when shooting off hand). Would it not be simpler to fit it to one of the front sling studs, or did I miss something?
*Edit*
Great paint job by the way... One of the best I've seen on here.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
The thing that takes away from it all is the orange tip. Even though its been painted, its like a big block at the end of your barrel. Any reason why that is still on?

Besides that, it looks great. It would look perfect with a bipod that fit where it was supposed to, and not so forward. The paint job is fantastic. If the end cap has threads on it, perhaps a standard end cap that fits into the outer barrels' threads would be great. That would complete the look for pretty cheap. Rather than spend $60+ on a fancy flash hider/adapter combo.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jackknife09 said:
Another cautionary mark; the sling on the very front, where a bipod should attach, is way too small to fit a harris-style. The barrel, unlike the ECHO M24, doesn't have notches for barrel-affixed bipods, either, and it's tapered, unlike the real M24.

So, the way its looking, the bipod is gonna have to be mounted waaay the hell down the barrel, closer to the muzzle, because the rest of the barrel is just too thick without those grooves.
Its the unfortunate price of an inaccurate airsoft model. I'll keep fiddling with it, maybe I can find a sling mount that fits both the bipod and the gun, but I'm stuck with the barrel mount for now. As for the orange tip, its not coming off anytime soon. Even with the biggest wrench I own I couldn't get it off, it's pretty much fused to the barrel.

I know I didn't paint any of the internals, and I taped off the bolt chamber, but some paint might have gotten in there. I'll take it apart tonight and see what the news is.

The paint job is kinda saturated in these pics. Its a lot flatter and more natural in person, I'm actually pretty proud of it. I'm buying a pack of heavy duty bands today, they'll be going on the edges I can't cover with just paint, for some veg.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Have you tried heating the orange tip?

Or, conversely, have you tried burning it off? Just make sure there is nothing in the outer barrel when you do that, and make sure that the outer barrel doesn't melt, or something - steel/iron/zinc probably won't melt, depends on how hot it gets weather or not Al does.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it feels plastic, where the barrel itself is metal, but there's so little space between the orange tip and the barrel that I'm afraid it holds part of the inner barrel... I'll upload a pic of the problem later today, see what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
jackknife09 said:
Well, it feels plastic, where the barrel itself is metal, but there's so little space between the orange tip and the barrel that I'm afraid it holds part of the inner barrel... I'll upload a pic of the problem later today, see what you guys think.
When you say you are worried the tip holds part of the inner barrel, do you mean like a spacer? If so, just make your own and once you remove the orange tip, a DIY spacer can give the inner barrel support.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.