Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Essentially, this will be a 500fps DMR rifle when I am complete, however, I thought it would be enjoyable to make a thread where I could keep my thoughts and discuss possible upgrade choices with a few other people who enjoy tinkering with rifles for the best possible range and accuracy.

What I have now:
G&G M14 v4
PDI 170%
Systema Bucking
SCS Nub

I went the very basic route and found that the internal work on the gearbox was easy as pie. I am extremely well versed in v7, v2, v3 and bolt actions, but I hadn't delved into G&G's modified v7 yet. I was pleased to find how simple disassembly was and how easy it was to get that sucker back together.

Regardless, I was pleased with the stock performance, chronoing at 330fps, however, that just wasn't going to cut it for me due to the length of the rifle. It wasn't meant for CQB, and my fields allow up to 550fps for semi-auto only rifles, so I felt I needed to upgraded it!

Being a little short on funds, I chose to just get it up to 400fps, and who knows, maybe I would find that I enjoyed the results enough that I wouldn't need to go all the way up to 550. After hearing rave reviews about the SCS nub, I decided that I would go for it and buy one along with a Systema bucking. This, combined with a PDI170% spring (I'm a PDI fan boy) and I got my FPS just around 400fps from what I can tell. It lodges a bb into the bottom of a Coke can but does not pass all the way through.

Now, I am not disappointed with the accuracy at this point, since it is definitely 9/10 for a human torso at 65 yards (a few really random flyers), but I feel like it could/should be a tighter grouping. I plan on setting up one of my targets at 65 yards and getting a taking a picture of it with both the SCS nub and the normal nub. I then think I will alter the bucking by shaving it down to the point where it is the same shape as the SCS nub. And then finally, I will shave it all the way down so that there is no protrusion at all. 6 tests, 6 pictures, I'm going to find out the best combination of nubs/buckings with what I have here. My question for you guys is, which do you feel will be the best combination? Also, do you think whipping the bucking to the barrel will really increase the accuracy? And if so, where do I whip it? It is right before the opening for the nub and right after it? I've never quite understood that process fully, forgive me for my ignorance.

All feedback is welcome, I will be updating this post as I start the tests.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Tex said:
Also, do you think whipping the bucking to the barrel will really increase the accuracy? And if so, where do I whip it? It is right before the opening for the nub and right after it? I've never quite understood that process fully, forgive me for my ignorance.
It does not directly increase accuracy, it guarntees (provided you fit it correctly) a 100% air seal, which increases consistency which increases accuracy.

A full pictorial how to and where is in my DMR guide.

Re your hop combo you can see the conclusions I came to in my guide as to which was best.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Note: All tests are done firing South.

Test 1
Nub: SCS
Bucking: Systema Unmodified
Wind : 7mph from WNW
Distance: 55 yards
Ammo: .28g Madbull Precision BB's
Hits on Target: 9/10
Spread: 15.5"

The spread was a measure of the farthest distance between two hits. If there is a better way to measure consistency, please let me know. I'll post the picture on Monday as I currently am without my camera.

Don't have my camera, but I'm just not satisfied with how it was shooting. I realize I would easily be able to eliminate a target at said range with 2 shots (these targets are IPSC Regulation Torso Targets), but I want to have the confidence of 1 shot kills. Am I wanting too much? Or is this considered good accuracy by you more experienced guys?

Edit: Thanks for your respond Vind, I just don't understand the purpose of what looks to be a thread underneath the floss. You also keep saying "tape" in the DMR section and all I see is floss and a string so I'm confused if there is a step I am missing perhaps. Also, I realize I interchange accuracy and consistency sometimes. but my goal is the most consistency I can possibly achieve. I think I am going to start attempting some of your small mods like the shims on the hop, the teflon tape around the outside of the inner barrel, and polishing the barrel and seeing what sort of differences I get when each one is added, perhaps document it with pictures and such.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Tex said:
but my goal is the most consistency I can possibly achieve. I think I am going to start attempting some of your small mods like the shims on the hop, the teflon tape around the outside of the inner barrel, and polishing the barrel and seeing what sort of differences I get when each one is added, perhaps document it with pictures and such.
Do you mean consistantly accurate? if so good luck as thats like looking for the Holy Grail of airsoft ;)

For the whipping its just floss, wrapped as tightly as possible around the end of the rubber, the tighing off method is a fishing knot used to make flies, all it does is pull both ends under the tight coils and uses this force to hold them in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.