Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the MB06 is a 100% airsoft rifle and not a replica of an existing gun I decided to give mine a Reel Steel-name:

CPR 6mm - Compact Precision Rifle 6mm

I got this idea a couple of weeks ago, to rebuild a bolt action rifle for my local indoor games. I knew some people had done it before so I wasn't completely nuts for getting this idea. The idea of a short barrelled sniper actually started the whole thing.

This is a sketch I did to show you guys what I'm thinking.

After some weeks of researching how to do this, what gun to use as a platform and how to later play this gun I'm now finally getting started on the actual build!

Goals:
- Gun should be shorter then 85cm (34")
- Gun should weigh about 3kg (6.5lb)
- The balance point should be at the trigger
- Gun should have a muzzle velocity between 315 and 325fps w. 0.20g BB
- Gun should have a precision as follows
10m, 5cm spread 10/10 (33ft, 2" spread) w. 0.20g BB
20m, 10cm spread 10/10 (66ft, 4" spread) w. 0.20g BB
30m, 40cm spread 10/10 (99ft, 16" spread) w. 0.20g BB

I have no idea if these goals are doable. If I manage to reach them I'll be very happy with the gun. If I don't, well at least I learnt something!

Why the MB06?
After careful considerations I decided to go with the MB06 rifle instead of the initially planed BAR-10. I decided against the BAR for a couple of reasons. First, the BAR-10 is pretty hard to come by, it's pretty much sold out all over. Taiwangun had some BAR-10 Pro in stock but I really wanted the G-spec (easier to cut the barrel of a bull-type). Then it felt kinda sad to permanently alter and "destroy" such a valuable (cheap, but good quality and rare) rifle, "I better go with a even cheaper and not as rare gun" I thought, in case I completely ruin the gun during this project. So I started researching the MB06 and it fits the bill perfectly!

MB06 was actually the first gun that came in mind when I got this idea, because of its looks. Personally I think the MB06 is really ugly for a sniper (sorry all you MB06-lovers, I know you are out there). A sniper in my mind is either a hunting-looking gun, like the VSR, or a military version, like the L96, Berret M82 and such. I later found out that the MB06 is designed for airsoft and I think that explained why I don't like it, it's not "real". But I still chose the gun! "Why?" you might ask, I'll tell you; if you cut the barrel down about 8-9 inches, it turns in to this cool, sci-fi-looking gun, perfect for CQB environments, and it's not trying to be a sniper rifle anymore! Cutting the barrel of a hunting-looking rifle turns it into, as my wife called it; a toy gun. But that's just the aesthetic reason why I chose the MB06, there is practical and technical reasons as well.

Practical reasons:
- It has a bull barrel and a threaded "barrel end", it should be easy to cut of and just move the "barrel end" to the new length.
- The retractable stock and pistol grip might provide some extra manoeuvrability, thus making it more "CQB"
- It comes with a top rail.

Technical reasons:
The gun seems to be pretty decent right out of the box (for 320fps!). It has a good amount of upgrades/spare parts available, but I don't need to change any part for it to serv my purpose, just needs a couple of DIY mods.

Initial research on the gun

The gun seems to be a reasonably well accepted platform, with internal parts from both the L96 AWS system and the APS-2 system, trigger and cylinder is specific for the MB06 but aftermarket alternatives are available. My research shows that the stock triggerbox is made out of high quality ABS and metal parts, should suffice for low fps. The hopup unit is of the L96 model and made out of metal. Some modifications is needed to get the hop working efficiently, but it should suffice. Hopup lever is made out of plastic though, might be a problem.
The overall quality of the gun seems to be pretty good. Some wobbling in the retractable stock and the bold-knob have been reported.

Disclaimer
I have no prior experience upgrading a bolt action rifle, this is my first attempt. With that said, please do not use this project of mine as an example or guide to upgrade your own rifle. Most of the mods and upgrades in this project is originally preformed buy someone else and I'm just copying them. I'll try to be thorough with my sources as the project goes on. In case I forget to give credit to someone I just want to say Thanks to all you guide-makers, review-writers and mechanics out there who made this project possible through your work!

What I plan to do during this project

Initially
- Order the gun and all parts needed, reddot, magazines etc. - Post
- Test the initial performance of the gun - Post

External
- Put killflash/plexiglass on the reddot - Post
- Move sling-swivel - Post
- Reduce wobble in the stock and knob - Post
- Remodel the pistol grip to a "Sniper grip" - Post 1
- Cut the outer barrel - Post
- Paint the gun

Internal
- Cut and polish the inner barrel
- Make barrel spacers and sound proof the barrel
- Modify the hopup chamber
- Modify the cylinderhead - Post
- Soundproof the pistonhead
- Port and polish the cylinder - Post
- Make sure the bolt pull is smooth and tight
- Fill body with some sort of weight

Finally

- Chrono the gun
- Test accuracy
- Gun approved!

Budget for the project: 125€ / $165

If you want to follow this project on instagram just check the tag #CompactPrecisionRifle or follow me on instagram @tommy_x1_grefve

Comments and discussion is more then welcome

Happy reading!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OK, so I'm hyping for my project, I'm still about 30€ short from the budget, but that should be in at the end of next week so stay hyped!
Note: I might go with another reddot then the one in the sketch, just FYI

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Naa, some sort of tubular reddot, to be more scope like. I've found a lowprofile reddot that i think would look great after some mods.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the warning Madsvg, but I'm just talking about aesthetic mods like custom sunshade for the ocular lens and killflash for the objective lens

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
About 4 years ago I bought an MB06 and even though it says it has a hopup system, my one did not. It had no adjustable hopup at all. So bb's flew a short distance and fell to the ground. Let us know if it comes with a hopup system.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds really strange 1tonne, I'm not worried that it will arrive without a hop, I'm more worried that the hop will be bad.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you would be willing to drop so more cash down, I personally think a replica Trijicon RX01 would look amazing!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to put something like a Leupold M3 scope on it, but the zoom would really throw me of at short ranges, so a tubular reddot will have to do. And since a low profile sight is more true at short ranges I'll go with something like this:

I will extend it with sunshades on both ocular-, and objective lenses. Think it will look good enough, at least after some paint :p

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Was able to take apart my friend's today (what I believe is a mb06 / mb13) it does indeed have a hop up chamber.
It did seem strange that the gun I had did not come with a hopup chamber. Maybe I got a dud one or something. It did have me puzzled.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As we say in sweden: Måndags exemplar = Monday specimen :p Probably some hungover worker on a Monday that built you rifle hehe

On track: Money have been rolling in and I now have enough to place the order. I will probably place the order tomorrow. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update #1

I placed the order this morning and it turned out like this:

MB06 [Well] - 61.89€
Speed loader [ACM] - 2.53€
Dot sight 1x30 [ACM] - 18.12€
Tactical 1p Bungee sling OD [8FIELDS] - 7.43€
47" Double rifle gun bag OD [8FIELDS] - 27.47€

Total: 117.44€

I ordered from taiwangun so I'll get 2 extra magazines with the gun. They are also going to exchange the main spring for a 1 Joule spring, free of charge :)

Estimated time of arrival: 13/10.

The project is officially of the ground!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I got the package today. I must say I'm very impressed with all the items.

The gun is really impressive, the finish of the ABS body is nice and makes the gun look, and feel Well built (pun intended ;) ).
The bolt pull is pretty heavy, sure i don't have much to compare to but my arm ached after 40ish reloads. So I'm either really weak myself or the bolt needs some work.
I did some shooting, just some fast shots out from the door without any sight mounted. It seems to be pretty consistent over 20m right out of the box, sure the hop need some adjustment but overall, I'm impressed.
The stock wobbles like crazy.. ugh, really cheap feeling.. needs work.. fast!

The reddot looks and feels nice, I got a 1x35 instead of the 1x30 I ordered, but that's no big deal. The dot is a bit sluggish, but hey, I paid 18€ for it! The objective lens is reflective like a mirror, so a good killlflash is needed.

Sling works fine. It's a lot stiffer then I imagined.. think it can hold about 10-15kg before stretching. I don't know if it's supposed to be that way but it'll work.

The gun bag is nice, good quality and function. The bag doesn't really have anything with the project to do so I'll save that review for later!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A little update:

I took a closer look at the gun this morning.
After disassembling the gun I found that Taiwangun did not change the spring as I asked them to. Instead they just put in one of those nozzle reducers... aw well, just need to cut the spring then.

The piece that holds the barrel to the front of the body was pretty badly molded and have some mold lines. The piece actually consists of two pieces screwed together, but since I have no reason to ever open this part up I went ahead and filled the mold line/gap with putty and then sanded it smooth. Will look great after some paint.

Other then this I removed the sling mount from the stock and took some measurements on various parts for future work.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update 2

Some stuff have been done on the gun, nothing mayor but still worth an update.

I fixed the wobbling stock using a toilet paper roll and some pieces from a soda bottle, and glue ofc.
The stock wobbled more side to side then up and down, so I used the thicker paper roll on the sides of the stock tube and the soda bottle on the top of the tube and on the sides of the bottom "rail".

Turned out the glue I used during this mod dissolved the pain on the tube so it became pretty messy for a while, but after the glue dried so did the paint and it turned out fine :)

I did some modifications on the stock itself as well.

The sling swivel is gone, as mentioned earlier. I sanded down all mold lines (many mold lines) and I cut a piece of rubber to later fit (after paint job) on the back of the stock for improved comfort. To ensure a good fit I sanded down most of the texture on the back of the stock.

I'm working on the pistol grip at the moment, stay tuned for more pictures!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update 3

Just did some test shooting before modifying the guns internals.
The gun chronoed in at 126-121m/s.

I wasn't able to get a good grouping, as expected with that amount of power behind a 0.20g BB. But I will go ahead and call it "Not good"-accuracy (with 0.20g). I think that with a heavier BB the gun is actually pretty consistent. Because earlier when I did the test shooting with the nozzle reducer installed it gave me a pretty consistent grouping over 20m. But the reducer is no good, sure I get the velocity I want out of the gun, but I also get all the wear and tear from the more powerful spring, and heavier bolt pull. So I'm gonna cut the spring instead. I hope I can cut it enough to get down under 100m/s without the spring being to short for the cylinder.. I think it's going to be close though.

Wish me luck, I'm opening her right now!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a question for all you more experienced people.

I know that the normal way to go is to put some sort of soundproofing material on to the cylinder head, but what of the piston head?

I found when I opened the cylinder that the piston head had a piece of rubber attached to its business end. I have never come across anything regarding the piston head in all my research, strangely enough. Is it a standard thing that sniper piston heads are soundproofed so no one thought of mentioning it?

Am I supposed to have both piston head and cylinder head dressed in some sort of rubber?

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
You can put sorbothane on both the piston head and the cylinder head.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.