Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sick of fiddling around with parts and seeing if they will all work together and I'm wanting something more efficient. Here is my current set up

OK Cylinder Set (need to replace)
Laylax Zero Trigger
Mad Bull .03 Barrel (need to replace)
PDI Hop Up Chamber
Mad Bull 60 Degree Shark Hopup (is this too soft?)
PDI Fluted Barrel
Maruzen Ball Joint Bipod

I'm looking to replace the OK Cylinder Set. It does not fire consistently. Also the cylinder fit and finish just does not seem to be adequate for a 540 spring. Though the spring is strong, the cylinder gets jammed if you dont pull it back just right.

Currently I am shooting 520 to 540 and I'm not impressed with my range. It seems as if alot of that power is just wasted. I'm looking to be in the range of 500 to 450fps. Livonia mentioned in his review that he was still getting great range at 433 fps.

I'm also going to replace the inner barrel because I damaged it when I installed it into the PDI Hop Up Chamber. The barrel is made of aluminum and gave very little resistance before I noticed that the over tightening had occurred :-[ Let this be a warning to you!
I'm thinking about buying a DB customs barrel.

So what I'm asking is what would be the most compatible parts to archive good shot and power consistency.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would get rid of just the hopup bucking and tightbore. From my experience hard buckings are a tight fit in the PDI chamber, I use a stock TM bucking and Prometheus 650mm barrel with no problems or inconsistency in power.

Everyone I have known with the Madbull shark style buckings and tightbores say they are inaccurate as hell. Never owned one though, so I may be wrong.

What kind of piston cup are you using? I have the OK kit with a Guarder blue piston cup, Laylax150 spring and now consistent at 515fps.

Let me know how it goes, I strongly feel that your power issue is with your piston cup if its stock, or in your bucking.

·
Registered
346 Posts
DB Customs are a hit or miss. I use one, and I have to say that I'm not impressed with my consistency. Actually, with the PDI chamber I haven't been tightening the screws fully because it's such a snug fit

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That DB's barrel break in sounds like a bunch of bull, so basically they are saying the barrel needs plastic residue in it to work properly? Its not like a real steel where heat makes a difference... Extremely fishy to me.

I would never buy a 6.01, or brass barrel for that matter. Comparing my old brass Systema tightbore to a KM Telfon coated and stainless Prometheus, the Prometheus looks like its clearly a much smoother surface.

I misread about the consistency issue, my apologies. I thought you were talking about you FPS varying.

I have heard a lot of issues with the Shark hopup for sure, that the "Fins" can unevenly wear causing your bb's to hook left or right.

Like I said before, most of what I go by is word of mouth but with my experiences and continual interchanging with parts I have found out what works best.

Here is what I roll with internally, finally set on these parts through trial an error...

OK Cylinder
Laylax cylinder head
OK spring guide
OK piston
Guarder blue piston cup
PDI hopup
Stock TM bucking
Prometheus barrel
Laylax 150 spring
King arms lightweight trigger

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the suggestions.

I have the stock piston cup installed. It would make sense that a better piston cup would result in a more consistent fps. Unfortunately I have often always over looked this part.

Livonia, do you play games with the OK Cylinder set or do you run with something else?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, I must have been surfing around and then typed my message. Sorry about that.

The consistency issue is that both the fps and the direction of the bb are not consistent but I think that with a new barrel, piston cup, hop up bucking, and spring the issue will be solved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A few things to look into.

Barrel spacers. Allot of people overlook. Maybe your barrel is wobbling which is causing your BB's to fly. Make sure you have at least 4 (depending on your barrel length).

Cylinder. Make sure there is no broken BB's or foreign objects in your cylinder. Theres been a few instances where I've had a few problems pulling back on the bolt and found a small BB's fragment inside. Also make sure your cylinder didn't loose any grease. Every once in awhile you have to re-grease your cylinder.

Barrel. Check to see if the barrel is bent or needs to be cleaned.

BB weight. Not sure what weight your using? Something too light could cause your BB's to fly and be unpredictable.

BB's.. Make sure the BBs your using are clean.

Bucking. Usually with fps over about 500. You should use a hard type. When you clean your bucking, Make sure you use Soapy water. Silicon oil in some instances can screw up your accuracy and take allot of shots to fully get the silicon out of your hop up.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
caliber45 said:
Barrel spacers. Allot of people overlook. Maybe your barrel is wobbling which is causing your BB's to fly. Make sure you have at least 4 (depending on your barrel length).
No need to go overkill. Using one or two will be just fine as long as your barrel cap is secure. These aren't real steel, not too much shock down the metal barrel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
depending on your barrel length. I had an issue with my barrel on accuracy. I had 2 barrel spacers on my pdi barrel and it wasn't enough.. Im not sure about other brands but Pdi makes pretty Heavy barrels. The extra 2 took care of my accuracy problem. And yes my hop up, bucking and airflow was fine.

I know the barrel was wobbling, and yes the placement on the 2 spacers were fine. Ever since then I've always used at least 4.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
A better technique over perscribed barrel spacers is to use small cotton balls, and pack about the forwardmost half of your barrel with it, helps with any vibration that may be caused by bb travel down the barrel, as well as any noise absorption that happens, and preserves your barrel in a solid spot. I used this technique in mine, and never really had problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why would you buy a 6,01mm barrel, Father_Livonia? In my aps2 sv i have a pdi 6,01mm 455mm long inner-barrel and i have never got an bb stuck inside. Maybe I'm lucky
. Also i would like to comment on the barrel spacer issue. I use my self dirlled nylon spacers witch work just fine. There is 2 O-rings outside the spacer and 2 O-ring inside the spacer. Spacer holds the inner barrel snugly inside.
My pdi cylinder head deiced to brake its O-ring. Not the one on the side of the cylinder head, witch seals the small gab between cylinder and cylinder head. The one witch is placed on the top of the cylinder head. So i took a new O-ring and glued with epoxy to its right place. After 2 months it broke off. Anyone have experiment with same kind of behavior with this O-rings?

·
Registered
28 Posts
With expanding foam, I would more worry about ever having to work on the hop up, and having to put the barrel back in. If you don't have a steady hand, you'll probably end up scraping the walls of the foam and putting small fragments inside your barrel. I know this can be fixed easily with a quick barrel cleaning, but still, seems like more work.
I would also get annoyed with static. When foam takes a hold of static, its always a fight to get the largest/smallest pieces from sticking to anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.