Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

TM VSR Build - Parts?

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  bushman 
#1 ·
Im currently working on a TM VSR build, And needed some input.

Does anyone have any experience with the PDI Raven Cylinder set? Will it work with a Laylax Piston?

And also, What are the advantages between The Laylax Neo Piston, and Orange piston?

#2 ·
I haven't used the Raven cylinder, but I can tell you that PDI cylinders will not accept stock-spec pistons such as the Laylax without modification.

The main difference between the Laylax Neo piston and the orange one is that the angle at which the piston end is cut. The stock piston and the Neo are cut at 45 degrees to be used with the stock trigger mech. The orange one is cut at 90 degrees to be used with upgraded trigger systems such as the Zero-trigger and the V-trigger.

#7 ·
After finally acquiring the gun today, and tearing it down, the cylinder head, and cylinder are both stripped.

I love how when you buy somthing from someone, they feel the need to try and screw you over constantly. This is my 2nd Rifle in a row that had multiple problems the owner decided to "neglect to tell me"

Now, I'm gonna have to dump in another 200 worth of parts, opposed to 50 bucks. Gotta love dishonest sellers...

#16 ·
I have some first hand knowledge of the varying differences in both the Laylax & PDI upgrade cylinder & piston parts currently produced for the TM VSR-10 rifle platform, & there is a definitive reason that PDI states on their cylinder products "for use with other PDI components".

Both the Laylax PSS10 Teflon Cylinder & the PDI Standard VSR-10 cylinders are the same outer diameter as the stock TM cylinder bolt. However; the PDI cylinder incorporates a thicker walled tubing which in turn makes inner-changing of brands with these cylinders & pistons simply a bad idea.

The PDI standard cylinder kits including the recently released PDI Raven cylinder are actually 1.5mm smaller in I.D. dimension than the Laylax PSS10 Teflon cylinder.
As a result in order to use the Laylax PSS10 pistons in a PDI VSR cylinder one must turn down the 2 derlin piston glides shaving off at least 1.5mm O.D. thus reducing the outer diameter of the piston glides, otherwise the Laylax pistons will not fit down into a PDI VSR cylinder. I've found during my own trial & error that this combination will be resultantly harder in bolt pull & return slide than any other aftermarket cylinder & piston combination.

The flip side to this is that when installing a PDI VSR piston into a Laylax PSS10 cylinder, that the piston will drop in without any modification, but will now have some excessive loose tolerance inside the Laylax cylinder & neither part will perform to it's potential as intended by either manufacturer's design & will resultantly lead to premature wear & possible damage of both the piston & cylinder.

The PDI VSR-10 bore-up piston & cylinder are a couple of millimeters larger in diameter than the Laylax VSR parts, and although one could have larger piston glides made for the Laylax PSS10 piston to work with a PDI Bore-up cylinder kit, each brands respective upgrade parts will perform at their highest potential only when used as an entire build assembly while sticking solely to either respective brands parts.

I've also found that the Polar Star VSR-10 45* Rockwell hardened Steel Sear set works best with the Polar Star VSR piston. The Polar Star sears don't play very nice with other brand pistons & will prematurely wear out the 45* PDI & Laylax pistons in a mere couple of months while under normal use.

"Send_It"

The BushMan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.