Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a 3rd degree black belt in Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu. So I have a very traditional Martial Arts background.

With that said, Im becoming interested in the Tomahawk.

First I noticed the Cold Steel Vietnam Tomahawk remake.

Then while doing research, I noticed that Tomahawks are being issued to Stryker units. They are labled as entry tools.

So Ive been doing more research. Whos making them, whos useing them and then ofcourse their history.

Now Im finding out all kinds of interesting stuff that makes me want to take this to the next level. I want to learn the use of the Tomahawk both historic and contemporary. There seem to be some really good books out there. And even a few videos. Although vids always worry me for some reason.

SO my question is this. Does anyone on here have any expereince with Tomahawks. Either historic or contempary designs?

Id be interested to hear what you have to tell me about them, their use and your experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's known as the La Gana Tactical Tomahawk (VTAC).

It's generally used as a non-dynamic entry tool and lock breaking mechanism (Though don't let the kind gestures fool you; it has; and always will be; a closer quarters alternative to a gun.)

I've handled more than one and I might still have one in my drag bag somewhere; I'll have to look around. Quite well balanced IMO.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I was really leaning towards getting the Cold Steel Vietnam one, and probably still will, but the VTAC seems better suited to long term use without worry about failure. So I have upgraded the saving profile to 100+ instead of the 30+ it was at.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice.

Ive also become more and more interested in the martial arts associated with it. I kinda want to learn the next layer or two of the onion you know. Not just the surface.

What kind of stuff did you put yours through? Any examples you care to relate?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would also suggest looking into ARMA ( The Association for Renaissance Martial Arts )
Yea I know you're probably laughing..

BUT...

they truly cover bladed weaponry to an extent of practical use the likes of which I have never seen.
Their Motto -- Real world skills from real world history.
And they are as serious as a heart attack when it comes to training. I have watched these guys test their weapons on Pig carcass to devastating effect.

The only video I have come across that is worth much is linked below.

http://vodpod.com/watch/922486-axe-hatchet-andor-tomahawk-techniques-part-1

Hope that helps a little.. enjoy

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some respect for ARMA and some. . . um questionable opinions.

In the vid where the founder of ARMA snaps a blade off while cutting bamboo, ya that shook me. I did like the vid where they took the head off an Elk carcas with a short sword. Not for the gore but for the data.

But anyway, I digress. I dont know that I want to join a group yet. But maybe study at a distance and distill some of what I find against my eperience and understanding of martial arts.

Still I want to hear from people with experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.