Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start with this. Before people start bombing this thread with questions that have been answered elsewhere (and so I don't have to link a whole bunch of pictures), here are two links you should read:

1. Read at least the OP in this thread:
http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/phpBB/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2851

2. Read at least the first few pages of this thread:
http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/phpBB/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2920

There, now with that out of the way, here is the plan: To build a system that will give straight consistent flight to the BB (accuracy) that will maintain shot groupings out to a minimum of 150' (46m for you guys across the pond).

Disclaimer: There will be some concepts in here that even after the build is complete I will not share, mainly the exact way that the hop up works. This may change down the road, but for the time being...

The project gun is a CA SL9, however, this should be able to be done with any G36 series AEG, since all that I am doing is replacing the outer barrel assembly.

Here is your typical G36 style upper. Under it is a piece of 6061 aluminum bar: 1"x1.5"x2' eventually this will be cut down in length (to about 14") to fit the hand guard, but I want to give myself room to mess up. Under that you have the standard assembly of comparison.

Unfortunately this is about as far as I got today due to weather and some tooling issues at the moment, hopefully there will be more headway tomorrow.

You can see on the side of the receiver that there area black marks, this is how far back the block will go once I can start cutting to fit it down there, and yes, it will fit against the mechbox.

The first step will be to mount it with the two mounting screws, and then I will start cutting to fit the mag well, Mechbox and nozzle before I drill for the barrel. Like the title says, this will use the twin hop that I have been playing with, however I need to get this made and source a barrel, in that order.

The reason for the length of the bar, being 14" by the time I am done with it, is for the LRB part of the build. The back 6-8" will be mounted in the block with a long arm extending under the barrel, as far forward as the foregrip will allow me to conceal. Some of the extra material will be used to fabricate a very short outer barrel that will be threaded for a suppressor, and an adjustment screw will be mounted at the end of the arm to pull the barrel down. The actual "outer barrel" block will be fabricated with an oval to it for the barrel to lie in, this way when the screw is adjusted down, it will pull evenly and straight down, minimizing lateral movement.

Also, I will be adding to the OP with updates to avoid spreading information across the entire thread.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I usually save this kind of stuff for my weekends, but I got a high speed carbide cutter for my dremel and had to try it out... sadly the results were dismal. Luckly I got 2' worth of the 6061, so I have more than enough to cut clean and take it down to a shop that has a mill.... good lord, what I wouldn't do for a mill.... Hopefully I'll have something to post here by early next week, although I'm headed out to do another hobby this weekend, so time might be tight...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never seen that thread before... It's too bad he stopped hosting his pictures, I'd like to see what/how he did it.

Personally I like the idea of LRBs for a few reasons. Firstly because I believe that there was something lost in what I like to think of as the dark ages of airsoft, that time between classic and modern AEGs, when the industry was forced to redesign everything about the sport. The philosophies may not be entirely compatible, but because of the drastic design differences with the same desired end result, I believe that there are things to be learned from both that will advance the sport as we know it since the classic platform was cut off in its infancy and the AEG has been stagnant for many years.

My first exposure to LRBs was here with Vindis work, and not too long ago Becklr1 started a thread with his own custom work that somewhat inspired some of us to actually work on our own projects/think of our own projects.

This was inspired because I abhor the G36 hop up unit and have been wanting to find a way to replace it for a while. So worst case I will have an over designed hop up unit. that will work with my 'twin hop' design that I am going to play with.

As an aside - I have a drawing made up for the block that I will be taking to a machinist with a mill when I get some time. So hopefully there will be some movement on this pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have, but only about 2 weeks ago when I typed in LRB into google and that was 1 of the threads/links. Ironicaly 1 of mine came out before it

I was first aware of LRBs about 6/7 years ago, when I started taking this tuning lark a tad more seriously, rather than just doing mundane fixy stuff to mates guns.

I was even a signed up member at the old classic airsoft.com, before they moved to their new site, there was loads of valuable info on there but sadly most of it is lost, to me anyway as the most technical thing I do on computers is load up picys :-[, they even had an entire board section dedicated to LRBs and the guns fitted with them.

I'm with bob on this subject, since TM came along and said 'this is the hop of the future!' all other methods of producing hop have been lost to the mists of time or just not been developed past the point they were at 15/20 years ago.....

So here we are...... me, bob, HS5 and many others around the world, pushing the boundries of sticking in a madbull blue, SCS nub and calling it a good'un ;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vindicareassassin said:
I was even a signed up member at the old classic airsoft.com, before they moved to their new site, there was loads of valuable info on there but sadly most of it is lost, to me anyway as the most technical thing I do on computers is load up picys :-[, they even had an entire board section dedicated to LRBs and the guns fitted with them.
I had a feeling that's what happened over there. Typically when I'm bored (usually at work
) I'll google image random things and see if something strikes me as interesting or plausible. There are a lot of threads that pop up in the images from the classic airsoft forum, but 90% oft he time the URL is lost and theres no thread but the pictures still show up as a tease lost somewhere in the abyss of the Internet :'( The same thing happens with our forum from time to time, mainly with the old ghillie stuff that we lost right before I joined.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.