Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals,
I'm having issues with a new piston upgrade that I'm having difficulty figuring out myself. I have an ASG AW .308 (L96) rifle...the stock piston and spring guide are both plastic, and with the stock spring and hop up adjusted to shoot my .36g bb's, I was only getting about 386 fps. I bought a new Angel Custom Type 96 CNC Aluminum piston/spring guide, and an Angel Custom SP170 spring. Trying to get closer to 480-500 fps.

Anyways, I install the guide, spring, and piston into the cylinder, fits fine..once I put the gun back together and pull the bolt back, it pulls back to cock without any problems. Once the bolt is cocked, however, my cylinder refuses to freely move forward to the battery position. I have to strong arm the bolt back forward. Once forward the gun fires just fine, at least until I cock it again.:shrug:

I've tried the new piston with the old spring and guide, and I have the same results. Any insight on what would be causing this or how to fix it?

Here's a link to the Piston/Guide/Spring kit that I am trying to get to work:

Angel Custom Advanced Precision Airsoft APS / APS2 / Type 96 / M99 500 FPS SP170 Tune Up Kit, Accessories & Parts, Sniper Rifle Parts, *Shop by Model, APS-2 / Type 96 - Evike.com Airsoft Superstore

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Either your sear is pushing your piston into the top of the cylinder (which is probably the case) or your cylinder is bent.

Take a file and slowly take off a little bit of the sear until it works.

Welcome to the forum, also Angel Custom is a pretty bad brand. You will come to see this soon when you look through the boards here.

Reactions: T3KSniper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Plazmaburn,

I'm starting to notice that about the brand. My main goal was to upgrade the spring, but with a plastic stock piston thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the piston at the same time; saw the price point and figured, "May as well" (yeah, most bad choices start with that phrase).

I'll try your advise of filing down the sear until it no longer pushes the piston up and see how that works.

Thanks again.
:shot:

·
Registered
142 Posts
It should be 45 deg problem. Sear is pushing the piston up against the cylinder thus making it hard to move forward. Put in the stock spring and you will notice the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips everyone!! It was a problem with the Piston Sear. Stock piston sear was a 45 degree (Which matched the stock plastic piston)..new piston was a 90 degree, so now I have a 90 degree Piston Sear installed, works flawlessly! can't wait to start getting out and getting those long shots.:tup::cheers:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Glad we could help you out. Good luck on the field or backyard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.