Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start, my gun is a UTG 96. Came with a bipod and 4x40 scope.

I am trying to decide what I should upgrade next.

Here is what I have done

I have both a madbull 650mm 6.03 barrel and a Prom 500mm 6.03 barrel.

Which should I use? I have a m170 spring and have upgraded the piston, piston head, spring, spring guide, I probably need a new cylinder head and maybe cylinder. I am getting a pdi hop-up very soon and a new trigger as well. I have the attchment and a silencer for the 650mm barrel. I do however, need recs on which barrel to use as well as gram of bb. I have tried .36 .40 and .43 and .40s work the best but I believe that is because the shitty offbrand hopup I currently have makes the .36s pretty innacurate. and the .43s are just to heavy. I know the longer barrel doesnt always make the shot more accurat or whatnot. I have hit targets at 300ft before and scope in my rifle at about 225ft where I can hit a human size chest 4/5 times accuratly and with a punch...

Where should I take my rifle, I was considering buying the new A3 and getting a high torque motor and like a 160 spring so I have semi auto capacity instead of cocking the rifle after every shot... granted it would not be as accurate or the same range but it could reach out pretty damn far and accurate...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
346 Posts
You're not going to see an accuracy/consistency increase over 500mm, and the prometheus is generally considered a better barrel. Go with that for now, or better yet try both and see which you like better ;)

As to the semi vs single shot, it depends on your playstyle. Completely your choice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tend to like sniping alot more, but have not seen the huge advantage considering most AEGs i play against can reach out to the 200-225ft range. So usually if i can reach them accurately they can more or less reach me. I will start playing in different fields this summer while sniping will be more ideal, so ill have to test it, however I need to be able to shoot out 300ft semi accuratly in order for it to pay off.

I like to stick to most bang for buck parts, hence why ive done barrel, spring and piston upgrades first. Now that I have the basics im looking for some veteran airsoft sniping to give me the "i wish i wouldas" and cocking the l96 with a 170 is not the easiest thing to do in a laying position where motions attracts attention. That is why I thought of the semi auto even though you sacrifice silence and a little range/accuracy...

just wanna know thoughts...

and you dont think the 500 to 650 will make a difference? I will admit the prom barrel is probably more consistent but with the 650 in I know i can accurately hit targets at 250ft, and rarely at 300ft. I have not adequately tested the 500 because I bought the spring and barrel at same time...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Personally I really want to try a DMR M14 project. Because of the fields I play at and the teams I run with, looking back I think that's a tool that would have been useful.

That's not to say I wouldn't use my sniper rifle. It's just that a lot of airsoft games can quickly turn high-speed, and because of the nature of the sport, staying ghillied up and waiting for the shot isn't always practical. This is why you'll see a lot of ghillie ponchos in airsoft

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
[quote="zulu":vkxf20bn]Personally I really want to try a DMR M14 project. Because of the fields I play at and the teams I run with, looking back I think that's a tool that would have been useful.

That's not to say I wouldn't use my sniper rifle. It's just that a lot of airsoft games can quickly turn high-speed, and because of the nature of the sport, staying ghillied up and waiting for the shot isn't always practical. This is why you'll see a lot of ghillie ponchos in airsoft

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am buying a PDI HU soon. i forgot to mentions that I have a prom hard bucking and nubbing (I believe).

I will buy a cylinder head with the HU. Isnt the cylinder head the same as the nozzle

and what do you mean by

" replace your trigger sears or mech soon with a 170 in there"
how will that help with consistency?

Most of my shots are taken at 150ft+ but it sucks when your pushing around a corner and you have to hip fire one shot at a moving target... Yes I know I could buy a secondary gun but Im really trying to put all my $ into one gun for now and focus on that later...

Partly I have been forced to push because I play with the same ppl and they have grown to fear my gun considering its already sent one kid to the hospital for a 50ft shot to the lip... his mistake for rushing a sniper...

So all in all dont get me wrong I LOVE sniping, but a few drawbacks make it difficult to play sometimes..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another comment on all this is, I obviously have a full ghillie suit thats pretty damn awesome.. bought it off some website for like 150 bucks and I can lay in a bush and have people walk right by me and not notice at all...

Its pretty mobil, however, the pants can sometimes snag and whatnot.. Would you recommend keeping it or going for a poncho ?

The suit I have LOOKS like http://www.theghilliesuits.com/190J190P.html however its not the exact same one.. its really light weight and fits great.. But when forced to run through heavy bush.. its not the greatest..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lol thanks vindi, I'm still -broke- though. My repaired zero trigger got lost in the mail so the sale of my L96 fell through. Gotta love USPS...

And no, it wasn't insured. >.< This summer I'll get a job and get funds for the project so if worst comes to worst you'll hear about it later this year sometime.

Some cylinder heads and nozzles are one piece (most of them), and others have interchangeable nozzles. The nozzle actually inserts into the bucking and the cylinder head seals the end of the cylinder.

It won't help consistency. It'll stop your trigger mechanism exploding on you (not literally

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dude totally on same page.. Im 22 years old so im not an idiot. Before the match i told the kid to put on a mask and he didnt want to listen and I was taking some body shots at about 200ft on him and very visibly nailed him but he didnt call himself out so i got pissed... then because most of them are just stock AEGs they will be the ones camping in buildings and eventually it gets really old so I like to push a little... and sometimes I need to run through open areas to get to cover which has in the past (very few times) required me to round corners...

however, later in the game I was posted up in a shack and it was CTF with about three of them left.. i knew where two of them were but the third did some good crawling and got the flag but instead of running away from me back to the capture zone, he thought it would be sneaky the run around the shack i was in, without knowing i was there... so i tried to compensate for the really close rang with my scope, considering its scoped in at 200ft so I need to aim low, I aimed for his knees and the wind must have caught the shot because next thing i see is his face covered in blood.

as for upgrades...

yes my stock trigger is currently broken, go figure, but weather hasnt been nice enough yet to replace it..

gonna grab a few cheap replacements for now till summer comes and i can buy a zero trigger...

http://dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=7366 - PDI hopup
http://dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=5786 - cylinder head and nozzle

because this is sold out...
http://dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=5862

then I will replace the trigger with this FOR NOW (ill get like 3 of em)
http://www.renegadeairsoft.com/utg-trigger-assembly--fits-type-96-airsoft-rifle.html

that will give me practically everything upgraded... I dont see what else besides the zero ill really need...

suggestions?

any why may i ask are u trying to sell your 96?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be very interested in knowing so because I have been running stock trigger set up with the laylax piston stuff you just named off and have had no problems. I am not sure if this is the stock trigger replacement or not so well see... and do u have any links for trigger sears that you recommend?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ah I see, well that's pretty much all I needed to know. That replacement should be the same -- you're using the 3-element piston?

Perhaps that was back when I was using the PDI receiver, which was total crap (just for the record). Or at least they have clearance and QC issues when used with other brands. That would explain issues I had with the fit.

http://www.Airsoftatlanta.com/product_p/66234.htm

Something like this. This is actually PDI and only $30

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I still have my stock utg trigger and i believe the sear is metal so i may be able to use that.. I was going to buy 2 just incase i F one up and also incase its too cheap and something else breaks, then im SOL.

yes i have the element 3 piston or 3 element however your say it. You said you were using the PDI receiver? no idea what that is.

But as of now I have been using the element piston, I saw one of your other posts and our piston set up is exactly identical and my stock trigger worked fine... like I said tho.. duno if this is a stock trigger or just a crap replacement so well c...

Also, another fun fact...
I took apart one of my mags for my l96 and cut the spring which allowed me to have a few more bbs in each mag, duno if you wanna try it...

I think the standard mag is like 23? and i can usually put about 26-27 in each one... I tested them b4 and after, also since the mags dont stick out at all i taped the bottoms together, ill post a pic later, so when i use up one i pop it out and flip it over, it sticks out a perfect amount and I have found it VERY useful instead of worrying about where that damn mag went in the middle of a game...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought the same thing until I bought replacement mags, they apparently were able to fit more rounds the the standard utg mag so i wondered why.. being me I decided to take them apart :)..

the string on the replacement mags had less tension and due to that and a wider canal birth you can fit more bbs. i only cut about an inch off and the tension is still way more than enough to feed that last bb into the hopup unit on the pull.

I would not reccomend messing with any gas powered guns because I have no first hand xp. but it really does work with the bolt guns... dont beleive me? take apart your mag and see. its way less complicated then a trigger box hahaha!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
1day1shot1kill said:
dude totally on same page.. Im 22 years old so im not an idiot. Before the match i told the kid to put on a mask and he didnt want to listen and I was taking some body shots at about 200ft on him and very visibly nailed him but he didnt call himself out so i got pissed...

so i tried to compensate for the really close rang with my scope, considering its scoped in at 200ft so I need to aim low, I aimed for his knees and the wind must have caught the shot because next thing i see is his face covered in blood.
I just kept the part of that post there that really stood out to me both as unprofessional in Airsoft, unsportsmanlike as a man to man thing, and flat out unsafe as an airsoft player.

Engagement limits are set for a reason, if you felt he was so close that you would cause bleeding to someone's face then you need to either go out and get a sidearm that is within respectable FPS limits, or give him a safer alternative (Bang kill. Pretty much when you have someone dead to rights but due to this just being a sport and we don't want to actually cause for mentioned pain on a player we say bang, whenever this has been the case for me 10 times out of 10 the player always accepts it).

I'm giving you a warning here, rather than two... Both for absolutely horrible grammar as well as mentioning not only was he not wearing a face mask (Let's hope to the higher powers that he at least had goggles), you engaged someone close enough to cause bodily harm (Not to mention that if he actually wanted to, probably could have got you in some legal trouble there. Trust me, waivers never stand up in court) and you also say before you engaged him at a less than safe range you were upset with him for not calling a hit. A respectable thing to do in this situation is just man up to it. I've had countless times where I'm wearing a ghillie suit and I've got more than 10 pounds of jute/burlap on me, not to mention my Utilities and I can't feel a 350 FPS stock Tokyo Marui shooting at me. It happens man, and all you have to do is just don't let that stuff get the best of you.

Anyways, one warning will be issued. I strongly encourage you refresh yourself on our rules and regulations on this forum. I'm sorry that you have to see the worse side of me so soon in you being on this forum. But I hope this doesn't defer you from logging in again.

-Mosin
Airsoft Sniper Administrator

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.