Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm curious to know what possibilities there are for upgrading a Snow Wolf Kar98k. Have any of you had experience with upgrading this gun before? If so, what were parts you used and what were the results? Are there any recommended upgrades or modifications that you would suggest?
I know theres an arisoft pro and a tnt upgrade kit but i would be more interested if i can use different parts!
I'm open to any and all suggestions and would greatly appreciate any input you may have. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
7 Posts
Frankly, just the hop-up rubber. The rifle is great as is, but if you want to shoot heavier BBs, the stock hop-up rubber won't do. A maple leaf rubber will work nicely, but you'll have to unbridge the barrel for those.

· Registered
303 Posts
Indeed, the only upgrade set for SW Kar98k I could find are made by Airsoftpro and T-N.T.

But here's the thing, it has APS2 diameter (~20mm inner diameter cylinder) so WELL L96 and SW M24 pistons could fit. But it would be short stroked a hell lot since L96 has long piston.

Anyway, SW Kar98k in my opinion is not the best nor decent platform for a sniper since it has low volume cylinder, I think even lower than TM AWS. If you are able to, I suggest you to grind the sear a little bit since, although the piston itself is a 90° system, the sear is not truly 90°. It has a little angle that would push the piston up (this does happen, I scratched the roof of the cylinder so hard when I ordered and installed a stainless steel piston from a local workshop).

· Registered
450 Posts
That persona is mostly what he's like in person but he's actually a lot more subdued - the one factor which remains the same is that he genuinely cares about his customers and wants to ensure they receive the best possible service. The guys that shill for major companies without having a clue what they're talking about are something that acts like a red rag to a bull......as it's contrary to his ethics.

For the SW Kar 98k I'm told there are actually two versions and the latter isn't compatible with the tune-up kits for the first series.

What a bloody mess!

· Registered
31 Posts
There's the original model that's the sw022 (snow wolf), stspg17 (S&T), or the matrix one from evike, all of them are the same just rebranded. They are copies of the spring Tanaka kar98k "air" and are compatible with the tnt and airsoftpro upgrade kits, and vsr10 buckings. Also they use the same magazines as the tanaka. Then S&T made the kar98k "Another Version" which uses vsr10 buckings and barrels but is not compatible with any of the tnt or airsoftpro upgrade kits, or any other vsr10 parts. Internally it's more like the S&T 1903 Springfield and uses the 1903 springfield magazines which are completely different and dont hold the bolt open when empty.

I've upgraded two of the original model S&T kar98's using airsoftpro and tnt parts and it's doable but a pain compared to a vsr10. If you really want a kar98k I'd get the one pre upgraded from swit airsoft and save yourself the headache. Also if you upgrade the hop up be very careful with the hop up adjustment slider as it's made of cheap plastic and when it falls out its a pain to get it back in the correct spot for it to properly engage the hop up. By the way the last one I had, which was the sw022 matrix real wood model from evike, the outer barrel was pinned in place preventing me from removing the hop up or inner barrel. Why do airsoft guns have to be so finicky... 😑

· Registered
303 Posts
Other than the low volume cylinder which could actually be made longer no problem and the bb transport thing, I actually love the overall design of SW Kar98k. But man, aren't the disassembly steps, mainly the sear assembly, a pain in the butt...

· Registered
450 Posts
There's the original model that's the sw022 (snow wolf), stspg17 (S&T), or the matrix one from evike, all of them are the same just rebranded. They are copies of the spring Tanaka kar98k "air" and are compatible with the tnt and airsoftpro upgrade kits, and vsr10 buckings. Also they use the same magazines as the tanaka. Then S&T made the kar98k "Another Version" which uses vsr10 buckings and barrels but is not compatible with any of the tnt or airsoftpro upgrade kits, or any other vsr10 parts. Internally it's more like the S&T 1903 Springfield and uses the 1903 springfield magazines which are completely different and dont hold the bolt open when empty.

I've upgraded two of the original model S&T kar98's using airsoftpro and tnt parts and it's doable but a pain compared to a vsr10. If you really want a kar98k I'd get the one pre upgraded from swit airsoft and save yourself the headache. Also if you upgrade the hop up be very careful with the hop up adjustment slider as it's made of cheap plastic and when it falls out its a pain to get it back in the correct spot for it to properly engage the hop up. By the way the last one I had, which was the sw022 matrix real wood model from evike, the outer barrel was pinned in place preventing me from removing the hop up or inner barrel. Why do airsoft guns have to be so finicky... 😑
Nice clarification! Seems I was informed correctly, if not completely :ROFLMAO:

Further to the bold part - I can understand releasing a niche rifle design but I don't understand not utilising a solid platform, for ease if nothing else. Trying to incorporate every design element and using substandard parts (the adjustment slider you mention) seems to all but ensure that your niche rifle is shoved even further into a corner as nothing but a wall hanger.....which makes no sense from a business perspective.

Then again, been seeing this sort of illogical thinking for the last 20 years or so....

· Registered
31 Posts
What drives me crazy is that the newer S&T models like the mosin and arisaka even come with full metal internals, steel cylinders, 90 degree triggers, pistons, and TDC hop ups. They could make so much more money if companies would just make the rifles properly

· Registered
450 Posts
What drives me crazy is that the newer S&T models like the mosin and arisaka even come with full metal internals, steel cylinders, 90 degree triggers, pistons, and TDC hop ups. They could make so much more money if companies would just make the rifles properly
Do you currently run one? I've wanted a Mosin or an Arasaka forever, but I've always been extremely wary of the build quality, not to mention the scope options.

· Registered
31 Posts
Do you currently run one? I've wanted a Mosin or an Arasaka forever, but I've always been extremely wary of the build quality, not to mention the scope options.
I used to run type 38 arisaka for a while from taiwangun. Had them install a slong 70 degree bucking and it shot great using .40s. As long as you don't put a really strong spring in it you shouldn't have any problems with durability. As far as I know there aren't any scope mounting options for them at the moment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts