Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Upgrading my L96

4K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Reliku 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am in need of a little help or advice. I am buying a UTG l96 and am looking to upgrade it. I have already got the full metal trigger assembly and I am now in need of a much stronger spring. The spring the rifle comes with will not be strong enough for the outdoor and very windy field I play at. I am looking for a spring that would shoot about 550 fps with .35g bbs. After I get the spring I will be getting other upgraded parts, but this is where I would like to start. I would appreciate it very much if you could leave links or any tips for me because I have done plenty of research but i have never done it myself. And I am a bit confused about springs and I don't want to buy the wrong one. Thanks.

#2 ·
550 fps with .35 equals about 5 J. That's way too hot.

You primarily seem to be interested in power, not in accuracy or range. .35 (who even makes .35?) does not get very far compared to .45, even if it is shooting hotter. It also is not very accurate because light bb's are unstable at high velocities. So you won't hit much. But if by some miracle you do hit someone, it will hurt like hell and it will probably injure them.

Sorry, but I'm not going to give you advice on how to build a 5 J gun :shrug:

#3 ·
Hey thanks for the response. I do now realize after hearing that this would pack a major punch that I would be going about it all wrong and the spring would want to be the last thing I would want to upgrade. I have done a little looking around and found a lot of help on where to start and I have come up with a list of parts, but the problem is I have no idea how to calculate the power of all the parts together in the same rifle. Also the parts should all work together but I'm not 100% sure. Sorry about me being kinda stupid about not thinking how much of a punch it would pack.

#4 ·
Check out 1tonne's guide in the type 96 section, that's a good place to start. I'd recommend an AA chamber + a maple leaf + a 407mm-ish barrel. What you do to the power train doesn't matter too much if you've still got the stock barrel group, so upgrade the barrel group first :tup:

I always use the stock spring in the type 96's since they're powerful enough. I got mine to go over 500 fps with the stock spring. With the barrel group I used back then I scored a hit at roughly 90 meters once (100 yards). You don't need power to get long range accuracy :tup:

#6 ·
Yea definitely go for the AA chamber, the stock hop up is SO BAD. Also get some barrel spacers. You want your shots to be as stable as possible. Also (to reliku) does the AA hop up chamber change it to AEG type barrels? I would say personally don't do anything to get it above 550 with .2 because that's the highest limit I've ever seen at a field for bolt action only with a 100ft engagement minimum. You should really do everything first, because when you improve airseals, change barrel size, etc, you might end up with a higher FPS *anyways*.

#7 ·
For a barrel you will need an aeg one. Get a madbull steel barrel with the length of you choice. For barrel spacers, just make your own out of tape or get action army barrel spacers. For bucking, the maple leaf 60-70 degree aeg bucking will be your best choice. Just get the aeg concave nub with it.

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Teflon coating is something that is done on aluminium barrels. Aluminium barrels are the worst idea ever in airsoft. Really, don't get them.

So avoid the madbull "ultimate" and "black python v2" barrels like the plague.

The madbull steel bull barrel on the other hand is simply stainless steel and actually a very good barrel.

#11 ·
OOH thank you for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure he didn't make the same mistake I made when buying my barrel for my SVD. I'm lucky I have to change size from a 650mm anyways haha.
Either way, Madbull Steel is probably a budget barrel anyways right? It's more expensive than the ZCI and I wonder if it's worth it.

#22 ·
First of all, be realistic. 330 ft range is very far and you probably will not reach it unless you're using very heavy bb's or shooting very hot. 270' is more realistic, 300' is doable but it's more of a maximum range, not an effective range.

Secondly, the power train (cylinder/piston etc) has no real influence on accuracy (and thus range). Yes, high fps will allow you to shoot (a tiny bit) further but the real range and accuracy comes from the barrel group (bucking, chamber & barrel). The cylinder won't improve your range.

Lastly, yes, the AA cylinder is great, but it won't improve your range and it's not a bore-up cylinder or anything either, so using .4-.45 I would still advise you to get a shorter barrel :yup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.