Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little background:

I'm currently upgrading mine SRS with multiple parts. For now I have the following in possession:
  • Rapax 2 and 3 joule
  • Scorpion kit from stalken (piston)
  • 18 inch fully fluted outer barrel
  • The rest is still stock

And I'm planning to get the next parts:
  • kraken ultimate edition hop up
  • Maple leaf crazy jet barrel (6.04)
- silencer (DTSS .30 Silencer (Foam Filled - 14mm CCW))

The thing is that I don't know which length inner barrel is should get. I have read all about the inner barrel ratio's and all but there seems to be a difference in cylinder volume and effective cylinder volume. The volume of the SRS should be 41cc but I'm not sure whether i should use this metric as it is not the effective volume.
With the effective volume I mean the volume without the piston part residing in the cylinder.

As for the limits in my country/fields:
we are allowed to use bb's to 0.40 grams with a joule output of 2,3. Which means is that I would prefer a joule output around 2,25 joule.
I think someone mentioned that .for 0,40g 2,67 ratio should be used.
I prefer a lighter spring like the 2 joule so it doesn't feel like pulling the bolt is a complete work out.

So the question is:
What should be the inner barrel length for 'optimum usage''?

If some information is missing or is incomplete please ask! I would love to upgrade my SRS as soon as possible!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Unless you’re hell bent on actually matching the cylinder volume: just pick an inner barrel based off of the overall rifle length you want. I like using a 420-430mm because it fits in a covert and you still get the full length of suppressor in front of the inner barrel. Overall length is still short for a sniper rifle. If you’re worried about sound, an air brake and foam filled can can do wonders for the SRS. As always I recommend the EdGi SAP due to the weight and air brake adjustability. Pair that with the springs you have, you can pretty much have whatever sound and power output that you want lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you’re hell bent on actually matching the cylinder volume: just pick an inner barrel based off of the overall rifle length you want. I like using a 420-430mm because it fits in a covert and you still get the full length of suppressor in front of the inner barrel. Overall length is still short for a sniper rifle. If you’re worried about sound, an air brake and foam filled can can do wonders for the SRS. As always I recommend the EdGi SAP due to the weight and air brake adjustability. Pair that with the springs you have, you can pretty much have whatever sound and power output that you want lol.
Well I'm kinda hell bent on it because I love making things as good or as efficient as possible. It's like a challenge or something alike.

The scorpion piston got a airbrake in it as well so that front should be fine and the foam filled suppressor I'm planning to buy should help with that.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I don't think that there's serious published testing that's gone into SRS volumes, but it seems like 420 is what a lot of people like with .48g ammo.

Also, I've realized that free floating ends of inner barrels cuts down on accuracy, at least in my experience, so I'd have no more than 10cm inside your suppressor. Also be sure to make some barrel spacers with painters tape or Teflon tape(I think Teflon, as I recall the SRS has a small diameter outer barrel) as I've also come to realize that barrel spacers make a world of difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with with Blind Sniper and Silicone. I have a edgi 420mm with the srs fast hop paired with the srs 70 degree bucking. run .48s and never look back. Seriously, extremely quite and effective with any sort of air brake piston and a nice foam filled can.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Volume matching is quite fun to experiment with ever since 1tonne made it more noticeable on the forums. (That’s where I first saw tons of talk about it)

But your best bet would be to use the stock piston and maybe a Faceless air brake head and take all of the measurements yourself. In my opinion once you start messing with weight the volume thing goes partially our the window. I say partially because it’s the same volume but the acceleration and such has an impact so it’s another factor in the equation.

I run an EdGi SAP, kraken chamber with S1 arm, 430mm stainless 6.01 inner with Snipetor rhop and she shoots consistent and quietly.
Camouflage Automotive tire Toy Military camouflage Wood

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that there's serious published testing that's gone into SRS volumes, but it seems like 420 is what a lot of people like with .48g ammo.

Also, I've realized that free floating ends of inner barrels cuts down on accuracy, at least in my experience, so I'd have no more than 10cm inside your suppressor. Also be sure to make some barrel spacers with painters tape or Teflon tape(I think Teflon, as I recall the SRS has a small diameter outer barrel) as I've also come to realize that barrel spacers make a world of difference.
Now I'm somewhat curious what length people use with 0,40g.
Do you mean that if i use a suppressor that the minumum i use must be bigger than 10cm?
Like if a suppressor is 20 cm that atleast 10cm is covered with the inner barrel part?

The outer barrel I got is pretty much solid all the way or am I misunderstanding something here? English isn't my native language so I just wanna be sure that I get it correctly.
There is a barrel spacer in the suppressor if I'm correct.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Listen up here's the honest truth about what length barrel you should use.

We don't know.......

All the tests are based off a vsr and are only valid for a vsr really. We don't truly know what difference cylinder length has on it or if length Vs width ratio skews the ratios certain ways.

Also as soon as you add weight to a piston the ratio theoretically changes as well.

The only way you will ever know what's optimum is to test yourself on your setup.

With that said we can take guesses but because silverbacks have great volume you don't need to have precise ratios that's the beauty of them.

Lots of suggestions of barrel in the thread but up to you if you want our best guess or grab a dirt cheap 500mm barrels and cut off 10mm and test it to find out what's best and become the SRS guru. (Like 1tonne did for the vsr)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with with Blind Sniper and Silicone. I have a edgi 420mm with the srs fast hop paired with the srs 70 degree bucking. run .48s and never look back. Seriously, extremely quite and effective with any sort of air brake piston and a nice foam filled can.
It's a shame that the limit in the netherlands is 0,40g. I read somewhere that the weight of the BB is important as well if i want the optimal usage out of the SRS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Listen up here's the honest truth about what length barrel you should use.

We don't know.......

All the tests are based off a vsr and are only valid for a vsr really. We don't truly know what difference cylinder length has on it or if length Vs width ratio skews the ratios certain ways.

Also as soon as you add weight to a piston the ratio theoretically changes as well.

The only way you will ever know what's optimum is to test yourself on your setup.

With that said we can take guesses but because silverbacks have great volume you don't need to have precise ratios that's the beauty of them.

Lots of suggestions of barrel in the thread but up to you if you want our best guess or grab a dirt cheap 500mm barrels and cut off 10mm and test it to find out what's best and become the SRS guru. (Like 1tonne did for the vsr)
Ahaha I would need alot more experience in airsoft but I wouldnt mind trying out a certain test set up if someone has an idea.
But thanks for your response! I was looking to take a shot at a 550mm barrel or somewhat in that range.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Do you mean that if i use a suppressor that the minumum i use must be bigger than 10cm?
Like if a suppressor is 20 cm that atleast 10cm is covered with the inner barrel part?

The outer barrel I got is pretty much solid all the way or am I misunderstanding something here? English isn't my native language so I just wanna be sure that I get it correctly.
There is a barrel spacer in the suppressor if I'm correct.
You don't want more than 10cm of inner barrel inside your suppressor, and you want your inner barrel to be well centered and very solid inside of your outer barrel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts