Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I found that it seems to be difficult to track your team during battle. I was wondering that why airsofters are not adopting mobile app technollogy? There are some apps available in the store which allow players to track teammate location to make better strategies.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have thought about this but I have never found a solution that wasn't $$$.
But if someone found a cheap solution I would be all ears and pocketbook.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you watch YouTube and know Jetdesertfox he has the same idea and had an app developed.

iOS: Blue Fox Tracker by Mike Haberkorn

YouTube video:

Granted it is created primarily for MilSims I can see it working fairly well for small organized games at your local field. I think the reason people haven't really taken on this idea is because pulling out your phone or even carying it ingame is dangerous. Dayton from Housegamers (YouTube) proves this in one of his videos when he shot up an old iPhone 4.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Another huge issue with this kind of app: Wireless Data/GPS access.

I don't know about you, but I've only got about 2GB of monthly data for my phone, and that doesn't come cheap. It's even worse if you get overage charges. I have yet to see an outdoor field with 100% WiFi coverage, so you'd be primarily using data.

And the GPS on most phones is pretty accurate... when you're driving on a road. It might be accurate to about 5 meters when you're on the wireless provider's network (i.e. on wireless data). When you use WiFi only, the accuracy is much worse, usually 50 meters. Third party GPS receivers are available, but a bit much for casual airsoft players.
And if your field is in a remote area, valley, tall trees, etc. : the GPS on your phone won't be very accurate either.

It's definitely a cool idea, but even if these issues are solved or irrelevant, most of your teammates won't want to strap their $1000 iPhone X to their gun, even with a very rugged case. Even if they have a spare phone, then it probably won't include LTE data and now we're back to square 1 with GPS reliability.

There's a reason radios are still in use, even within elite military units.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
There's a reason radios are still in use, even within elite military units.
I was going to say...we use this 'app' all the time. The radio app. If you know your coordinates, finding your people is a piece of cake. No data use, batteries last for days, and it's two way, real time. hehehehe. You can also keep your eyes on the trees while using it. A dude with a phone out would be a sitting duck. :lmao:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts