Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

UTG Barrel Upgrades

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  pvt13 
#1 ·
Ok now that I have a clear understand of what needs to be upgraded for my gun, I have a few questions
. I am going to start out with the hop up.
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/PDI_Hop_Up_Chamber_Type_96_p/66229.htm
I believe that is the correct hop up chamber that I would need.

My main concern is the barrel to go along with it.
http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Airsoft_PDI_Type_96_6_01_Barrel_495mm_p/66271.htm
I assume this is the appropriate barrel length and type to fit the new hop up and my gun.

If I were to just get those two items, would everything be alright (I will buy the PDI repair kit). Is there anything else that I would need to install for a new hop up and barrel to my gun. Thanks for the help.

Since I made this thread in a hurry, and I did not realize that the barrel was $160, would this barrel work instead.
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_72_378&products_id=24389
I cant find any other barrel on airsoftatlanta. I forgot where, but I read or heard someone saying that the max length for the UTG l96 was 499mm, if so would this be ok? Or would I be better off getting one a few mm longer and getting a silencer.

Or this one?
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_72_376&products_id=32470

See less See more
#3 ·
Cheese wizz is right, a new bucking is the only thing to add to the list. But rather than just snagging one, buy a few. Soft buckings tend to rip after some use, as does any bucking. Having a few spares at the ready is something you want to have.

As for the barrel, that is top of the line. I am not sure how many of us actually have a PDI barrel in our rifles, but I know woogie had a madbull, I had a prometheus, and several others had the same.

However, the PDI barrel you have linked is the right length. It will not protrude through the endcap, and you will be good to go. Just make some homemade barrel spacers and add them to the barrel and your rifle will be set in no time.

PS: When you get the PDI chamber, be careful opening the package. The nubbin is clear and easy to lose. I speak from experience, I lose more nubbins than I do allen wrenches. And if you have been here awhile, you know I lose a lot of allen wrenches.

What weight bb were you planning on using?

#9 ·
Matrix is Evike rebrand, and isn't known for the best quality stuff. Get a madbull/systema for the 30-40$ price range. However, that promi barrell is very nice, and if you can afford it, you'll see better accuracy with it, than say, a Madbull/Matrix.

#11 ·
sniper4ever said:
So I read another forum where someone else bought that same barrel and, fuzzy told him that it was only for the M14 due to a unique cut or trimming on it. If this is true, whats a viable substitute, I cant seem to find a good barrel on line.
I use a prommy barrel meant for the m16.

It is the m14 barrels that will not work in the PDI hop up. M14 barrels are cut differently and are not like the standard AEG barrel. Therefore, stay away from any barrel that has m14 in the description.

#14 ·
sniper4ever said:
I forgot to mention I have a m14 aswell but that is a whole different story. Ok thanks for the barrel suggestions.

So fuzzy do you use
http://www.Airsoftatlanta.com/Prometheus_M16_AUG_550mm_Barrel_p/58003.htm
and have a flashhider, or is your barell shorter?
I bought the 509mm barrel, which is longer than the stock UTG mk96 barrel which is 499mm.

The end cap on the mk96 prevented the 509mm barrel from being able to fit correctly, and caused the chamber to be misaligned. To fix this either remove the end cap or cut the barrel down. A friend of mine was able to cut 10mm off the barrel and made it 499mm and was able to fit in the end cap.

Another option would be, like you said, to get a flash hider adapter and a flash hider. That way the barrel can go up through the flash hider without sticking out.

The 550mm barrel will approximately stick out two inches from the end of the barrel. With a flash hider, I would think that the inner barrel would not protrude through the end of it (flash hider). So that should work.

#16 ·
The flash hider needs an adapter in order to be attached. Ask woogie about the UTG mk96 flash hider adapters, as he had one that worked with the UTG. I read that certain adapters meant for the maruzen are not compatible with the UTG. Woogie will be able to confirm this for you.

Most AEG buckings will work in the PDI chamber, and I have used several different kinds. Guarder, KWA, King Arms, Prometheus, G&G, Systema, etc. will work. I prefer the soft buckings over the hard ones. Won't last as long, but they give better results.

#18 ·
pvt13 said:
You could try a PDI Raven series barrel, I have one and I like the way it shoots. I ordered directly from PDI itself via x-fire.org, here's a link to the Raven series barrels: http://x-fire.org/etop/01+.html

Hope this helps, they are not that expensive and still have the PDI quality :)
Whoa. Google Currency says that's 38$ for the VSR barrel. Seriously? And how's the quality/shipping?

#19 ·
Quality is good, it sits just below PDI barrel.

These Raven series are still made by PDI with the same techniques if I remember correctly, I just think they now have to know-how, so they can produce cheaper.

The shipping is good aswell, (here's the list): the barrel itself was put in a plastic tube container, the container was put in a plastic bag, the bag was put in about 3 layers of the airpocket plastic like foam (can't remember what it's called) and all that was put in a round cardboard box covered in tape

It might take some time shipping, also depends which shipping time you pick. I had some delay at customs, but that's probably because airsoft isn't legal here yet.

X-fire's service is good aswell, they send you an email with your order in it and the total price (they don't have a list of shipping costs, they send it in the email), if you agree on the order and costs they will send it. They also don't make any problems about adding something to your order as long as it's not shipped yet.

All in all I'm real happy about the quality they offer and how they ship things.

Hope this is good enough for you :) If you want some pics, pm me and I will see what I can do :)

#21 ·
The $40 barrel is right, I think it's because they already have the know how of how to make them. So no costs will be charged in research for better machinery/production.

Anyway the shiping costs to the Netherlands were 1800 Japanese Yen. And that went by airplane I think, roughly 1 week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.