Being new to the forum, I hope I have put this thread in the right section (yes I did read the rules). Being about the UTG Mk96, I think I am in the right section.
With that said, I would like to input my opinion about this cloned rifle. After reading about how many people state kids who get a UTG rifle are noobs, who expect to become a real sniper like in the movie Shooter, has made me come to a conclusion. While agreeing with Mosin ( who I admire greatly) and other valuable sources, who feel some UTGers are noobs, I also feel not everyone with a clone is this way. Personally owning the utg Mk96, I have learned a great deal about the role of becoming a sniper.
1. FPS is not everything (when I upgrade my rifle I do not think upgrade spring to make my rifle shoot 550 fps--need other upgrades first
2. Higher end rifles like the maruzen type 96 are of high quality
3. Clones come with poor quality construction, due to the fact that they are mass produced by the millions
4. To be a serious sniper, upgrading your gun (not just to a powerful spring) is a must
5. Potentially becoming a sniper requires more skill than just having a high quality rifle
6. Using a sniper rifle will not allow you to get head shots left and right nonstop from long distances 24/7
With all that said (sure there is more), I feel that even though I have a clone, I understand that I am not some "hot shot" with an amazing rifle. In fact, I am the opposite of that. In my time as being a sniper, I have found that patience and other skills are key. Sure I could blast away hundreds of rounds at the enemy with an aeg, but I prefer the role of sniper. More skill is involved and has helped me learn a great deal about air soft in general.
What I am trying to say is that, not all "UTGers" are noobs who think they are all great. In order to get better, I need to learn new skills in the field, and also need to upgrade my rifle, in order to become a more successful sniper/competitor in the world of air soft.
Upgrades for now...
PDI Hop up
Firefly Hop up bucking
6.03 Prometheus Tight bore barrel (650mm)
Mad Bull Quicksilver Barrel Extension
I know this is repetitive because of other threads with this kind of talk but I really want to get my point across that not all "UTGers" are complete noobs.
Please give me your opinion on this. I hope I made sense and give me any advice you have.