Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hop up is adjusted individually for the m170 and m210 so I can attain the highest fps possible for each spring.

With 0.20g bb's:
Using a m170 spring, the gun is shooting roughly 450-460.
Using a m210 spring, the gun is shooting arounnd 590-610.

Parts:
LL Piston head
Angel Customs Piston
Angel Customs Spring Guide
LL Teflon Cylinder
Stock Cylinder Head
Stock Hop up (Fixed and fully functional)
Stock Inner Barrel (~6.04) [cleaned thoroughly]
Stock Bucking (teflon sealed so no air escapes)
SCS Installed
LL Zero Trigger

• Compression of the piston in the cylinder is very good.
  • Compression test for the bucking-to-cylinder head connection is great.
  • Air seal of the bucking while on the inner barrel is great as well.
I would expect at the very least that my m170 (used for a while) shoots 500 and the m210 shoots around 650 as it is brand new.

I've done a plethora of tests and learned my sniper rifle inside and out. However, the culprit is still a mystery. I have my guesses, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
looking at the components it would appear solid but the install might be where the issue lies or in the angel customs parts, I have no expereince with them and evike sells them so that is a red flag for me.

Are the springs brand new? is there a chance that the 170 is a 170% spring and not a m170? I shoot between 600 and 615 with a new 170 so those numbers do seem drastically low.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The packaging says m170 and it requires a 9mm spring guide. I don't know much about AEG's, but I do know for snipers a 9mm spring guide spring is usually at least m150. This particular m170 spring (used for perhaps 10k shots) is made by Angel Customs which may be a dud, but I also have a UTG upgrade spring (used about 1000-1500 shots) that shoots roughly 530+ish when other people drop it into their UTG 96.

When I drop it in, I'm still shooting roughly 450ish.

I once thought that the AC piston was the culprit, but when I switch out to the stock or UTG upgrade piston, the FPS is all the same.

I've always dismissed the AC spring guide because I've never heard of massive FPS loss from a spring guide before. Maybe someone begs to differ?

Unfortunately, I did not have a chrono until just recently so I don't know exactly which install may have caused the problem.
:lame:

As for compression mods, I've teflon taped the bucking and cylinder head. And I've also done the dental floss mod, but it didn't show any difference in FPS when the bucking was well wrapped with teflon so I removed the floss.

If I'm missing some sort of mod or compression test, please share :)

I haven't given up on the gun, but it sure is irritating knowing you bought a bunch of upgrades and it made your gun worse! :lmao:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would that be a simple finger covering the cylinder nozzle test or something different?

·
Registered
909 Posts
This particular m170 spring (used for perhaps 10k shots) is made by Angel Customs
I'm not sure of the quality of that brand. Their parts seem alright, but I would go with a spring that's a known brand because the cheaper springs do wear out over time and the nicer springs tend to settle at a certain FPS and stay there pretty well. But, since it the upgrade spring shoots higher in your buddies rifle, there's still got to be some sort of compression issue somewhere. Everything else looks pretty good, I'd just check over things again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll be the first one to throw this out there but when it comes to sniping, for me, the most important aspect you need to focus on is accuracy. Anyone can drop a 190 spring in there gun and sling a .2g bb down range at 600 fps..... Now, did you do all the upgrades at one time or did you gradually add them?? If at one time, take all the mods out, install them one at a time, shoot and go from there.. If I were you, I would send the angel custom parts back... They are crap.. Next, buy a PDI hop up and a 6.03 barrel, preferably prometheus and if you are shooting .2's thats all the mods you need. The stock hop up and barrel are ok but will not handle that kind of fps and you are probably getting blow by or the scs nub isn't applying enough hop up... Try using the plastic rod from the inside of a bic pen... Worked wonders for me... I have the same gun you have, I put a 6.03 prom barrel in it with a pdi hop up, stock spring, a $36 dollar l96 ugrade piston, with some custom mods, and a $20 metal trigger from China :) I'm shooting .32g bb's at 460 fps and I'm accurate up to 85 yrds. Not bad. I think the problem you are having is you are so worried about achieving max fps when in turn you should be more concerned about the consistency of your rifle. Yeah, 550+ fps is cool but what's the point if you are not killing anyone. I can almost guarantee your rifle is very inaccurate, especially with .2's... So simply put my friend... Start over... Send the angel parts back, research a little and move forward. TAKE YOUR TIME... But above all, accuracy is everything... Sniping takes time and patience... Happy Sniping

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
When I dropped in a PDI hard piston my fps changed from 328/.2 to 260/.2 and the fps was always +/- 1.5

Also, I think it lies in the spring. I had two "UTG UPGRADE KIT" AKA 'angel customs' springs (Only for the L96 series though) , both measured for 500fps and one gave out 450 and the other 560. Lol. That may be your problem.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@Wesley: I'll keep that in mind. In fact that's the reason I got the Laylax 210sp. If i wasn't shooting anywhere near 650, then I'd know it wasn't bad springs.

@durtboy17: I whole-heartedly agree with accuracy being key. This is why I actually use a spring that shoots 1J 328fps as my primary spring in conjunction with 0.30g bb's. And it's still spot on with the m170 spring (using .36 bb's) because I can only shoot 450 with it :D. The gun is surprisingly very accurate because I put a lot of time trying to get the most I can with just the sub-par stock hop up unit lol.

The other springs were bought to test the limitations and efficiency of the gun. Unfortunately, the efficiency of the gun is what's lacking (i.e. m210= 590 fps, m170= 460 fps, etc.) Aside from peace of mind, the reason I want the springs to hit the FPS they are intended to hit is because of bolt pull and sound. If I'm pulling the force of a m210 and it sounds louder than my other springs, I'd expect it to perform like an m210, nothing less :C Like someone said earlier, their m170 spring shoots 600+ and my m210 shoots 590. ACK!

Anyone can drop a 190 spring in there gun and sling a .2g bb down range at 600 fps
I wish T_T

But yeah, I'll re-assemble everything one-by-one again. I've done it so many times I lost track, but doesn't hurt to try again :D

@inthetallgrass
: The spring may be the issue, but that means I got 3 defective springs. Although not impossible, they all came from different factories and one of them being laylax (m210) it should lower the chances of being dud springs.

I wish it was as simple as the spring, but not including my own springs, I've tried 6 springs in total and they don't shoot anywhere near their expected energy output :(

When I dropped in a PDI hard piston my fps changed from 328/.2 to 260/.2 and the fps was always +/- 1.5
This was one of my original hypotheses. But after reverting back to the stock piston as well as the UTG upgrade piston, the FPS ratings were relatively the same (+/- 10). It's CRAZY that your PDI piston dropped fps by that much though lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.